iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

snow

Started by thecfarm, January 03, 2008, 08:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Thought some of you might find these measurements interested.I did.This is from the National Weather Service measured In Portland,Maine,JUST for the month of Dec.Proably need to add on a few inches to each one in my area,but it still gives an idea on the snow fall.I have not seen snow like this for years.

2007:38.8 inches

2006:5.8

2005:17

2004:9.9

2003:28.8

2002:24

2001:13.9

2000:22.1
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

We have about the same snow fall as you . I did something just before Crhistmas that I would normaly have done in Febuary .
  That would be to get the tractor out and push the snow banks back .... Now I should be good for a few months ...

Its been a long time that we have had this much snow in December .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

John Bartley

Yup .... this is the year that the grader operator learns what the wing is really for .... and it ain't (notice the correct use of the apostrophe :)) for plowin' the snow off the road eh?
They've just figured out how to "wing" the banks back .... :)

cheers eh?
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

thecfarm

We live on a dead end dirt road.One year they had a guy that plowed it just about a car wide.This year he would of been in a mess.Seems odd to see high snow bankens at all.Highest ones I've seen for quite a few years.The Farmer's Almanac had this one right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

I live at the end of the dead end road , the plow turns in my yard . Here the banks are as high as I have seen them in any given  year ... and its only the begining of winter .

Well it might be a little nippy out there this morning -22°C  , butat least the sun is out there shining away ...  really good to see it , seams seems to me that he had been hiding behind snow clouds for a month .  :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

Yup, that gives the air a bit of a bite. ;D Nice and green here, just a few patches of ice here and there. Trouble is, the rain won't stop.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowman

Good snow year here too.We needed it, the last few winters have been pathetic.Been cold too, roofs arn't sliding so I had to shovel my outbuildings last weekend.On the news last night some guy went into his shed to put a chainsaw away and it collapsed and killed him.Just something tothink about. :-\

SwampDonkey

It was -22° C here this morning and - 32° C up river in Riley Brook. Although the snow banks along the road are getting up there, they are nothing yet compared to what I can recall just a few years ago. When they get up to within 5 feet of the telephone wires then it'll be something to brag about.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Carries-Mom

Ready to scratch your heads....It was so cold here, earlier this morning, we actually had a few snow flakes!!!! Central Florida had snow flakes.... smiley_headscratch  It's still cold and the wind is wild here today...

SwampDonkey

Yup, Ted said it was going to be freezing down in north Florida last night.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I've been told to read ,  :P  so I am .  :)
I bought " The Old Farmer's Almanac" Book of Weather & Natural Disasters

Great book .  :P

Snow in Florida , this is what I read this morning on page 76  ;)

FOR THE RECORD 
The most southernly snowfall in American weather history occurded at Homestead, Florida where a trace was recorded on January 19 1977. .....  about as far south as you can travel on U.S. mainland .

:) :) :) :)

Marcel

beenthere

Cold in Florida... :o :o

Fox news reports it's so cold that the iguanas are 'freezing' and falling out of the trees. Seems they will revive when it warms up...wonder if the snakes fall out too??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319971,00.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

What is this "Snow" thing that you speak of  ??? ;D

New Years day here in NZ  8)

Water in the shallows was warm like bath water too   :)

Hopefully this cheers you all up  ;)

Ian

P.S. We did actually get snow on the Mt around Christmas time, but it was way up around the 6,000 level. Still you can never really trust the weather.  ::)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

isawlogs

Really is not much to talk about Ian , just a little ground cover we get here for 4 , 5 maybe 6 months out of the year , makes it a little milder out , trees dont grow very well while all this ground cover is apon us . Great time to come visite , no need for any insect repelent, or sun block ... Rooms at inns are fairly easy to come by .
Just jump on the next plane , and come on over .  :) :)

Marcel

Larry

I had this thread tuned in when Dad stopped by for lunch.  He read the thread and with a little snicker and smile said "tain't nuthin".  Knowing I was in for a tale I got comfy and propped my feet up to warm by the wood stove. 

Dad was stationed at Presque Isle, Maine air field one winter in the early part of WW-II.  Said they ran snow blowers 24 hours a day to keep the strip clean...and many days could not keep up.  The barracks were heated with a coal fired stove but they were so short handed there was no one to keep the fire stoked and besides that it wouldn't warm the barracks.  They got permission to sleep on the floor in the hospital hallways...as he recalled this was the best thing about Maine...lots of pretty nurses in the hospital. ;D  Said one day they got off a flight of B-17's to Europe.  Next flight was 9 P-38's that were supposed to follow the bombers.  They got lost in the snow.  Between Presque Isle and Europe there were three emergency air strips.  Crystal 1, Crystal 2, which were ice strips and another I don't remember.  Dad got picked with another 3 guys to go find them...they had safely landed at Crystal 1...good shape except for being half froze.

The following week Dad was to ferry a plane to the West coast and return...he decided to stay on that plane until he was safely on Guam...never to return to the snow and cold of Presque Isle. ::)

Thought you guys might enjoy Dad's story of his winter in Maine.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Yup, I'm only 40 minutes away from there and another 15 away from Loring.

It hasn't gotten any milder, you can tell your dad. :D

bull

snow I love it !!! Just sent out $3000.00 in bills for plowing driveways and $700.00 in bill for pushing piles back..... snow season is way ahead of the last five years and there are still 4 months to go.... Let it snow.......................... I get $100.00 per hour for pushin back !!!!

Mooseherder

Larry, That base your Dad speaks of is still there with most of the buildings to boot.
The Airstrip is now the Presque Isle Airport, vocational schools, businesses and I think there is also a mill there.
The barracks were being used for summer camp about 35 years ago. ;D

PineNut

I frequently flew into Presque Isle back in the early 1960's. It was like landing a plane in a white ditch. It was interesting flying in and out but I had no desire to live with those temperatures.

sawguy21

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 03, 2008, 10:51:17 AM
It was -22° C here this morning and - 32° C up river in Riley Brook. Although the snow banks along the road are getting up there, they are nothing yet compared to what I can recall just a few years ago. When they get up to within 5 feet of the telephone wires then it'll be something to brag about.  ;D
So you can still see over the snowbanks?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sawdust

We are having a very strange winter here. I can see the tips of my lawn grass, I put my snow shovel away again. The temp is -5c this morning.

david

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Bill Johnson

The weather network is calling for a big warm up all next week looking at +8/10C for a couple of those days.  A little sunshine and it'd be perfect weather for sitting out on the ice and catching supper.
Bill

SwampDonkey

Yes I can see over the banks in my area. These are just small snow banks. Might be 2-3 feet piled up along my driveway, maybe a 4 foot section along the path to the shop from drifting between buildings.

Coon

Back in November we were at record snow levels.  Not so much that way here anymore.  We have been getting the odd trace but nothing extravagant.  Having quite the warm spell right now too.  Temps have been no colder than -10 C since Tuesday and they claim we are supposed to get another 4 or 5 days of this yet.  Just remember we get this kind of warm spell every winter and following right behind it we get high amounts of snowfall and LOTS OF WIND.  January is usually our coldest month of the year.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

But boy I'm going to enjoy the warm temps.As the old saying goes,as the days lenghtens the cold strenghtens.Today is the first day the warm temps are here.It's 13° here now,but should be up to 30 by days end.Saw the 7 day forecast and it looks good as far as temps.One 24 hour period it wasn't even going to get below freezing.

Thank You Sponsors!