iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Basic Mill Setup

Started by Jisgren, December 17, 2016, 06:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jisgren

Now that I am using my mill I thought I would post my

I set up some dead bunks out of 6x6 with 48" sections that tilt back out of the way.  Slabs to the left and finished lumber to the right.  Normally it is just me so there is a bit of walking around the saw.  The opening is 16ft.  This was my first barn and I made my shed roof too small, it is only 10ft wide and I should have gone 16ft.

wndwlkr65

Looks real good from here. Nice setup!

ozarkgem

Looks good. A log deck is a real time saver. Not sure what kind of equipment you have but a slab bunk will save you handling then again.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

barbender

Well at least you got 'er done ;) You shoulda went 16', you only went 10', I'm still at 0' :(
Too many irons in the fire

bags

If ya want more roof--- pop off your face board and cantilever (?) your rafters out another 6'--- its not as though you need to worry about a snow load.

Magicman

Some folks with a similar setup add another post (actually 2) and hinge the last ~3' of their deck.  That way they can raise them up and out of the way to clear a walking path on the loading side.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jisgren

The last 48" are hinged and lift up out of the way.

Magicman

I kinda wondered about that, but I will blame it on my ole eyes.  Good, you have a fine setup.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Nice neat lashup mate but it looks like sawdust will be a major headache with little room to clear it. Myself I would build a wood trough with a belt or chain to pull the dust out the end. A piece of hose could be put on the dust outlet to feed the trough. A length of overage fire hose would do the deed with a electric motor and gearbox to drive it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

You got that mill to the proper working height.  Nice job.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jisgren

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 18, 2016, 07:55:13 AM
Nice neat lashup mate but it looks like sawdust will be a major headache with little room to clear it. Myself I would build a wood trough with a belt or chain to pull the dust out the end. A piece of hose could be put on the dust outlet to feed the trough. A length of overage fire hose would do the deed with a electric motor and gearbox to drive it. Frank C.

Wheelbarrow fits pretty well so not a big deal to clean up.  I am only cutting for my self so the volume isn't huge.

paul case

You might find you like the bucket hanging on the side to catch the sawdust?

I tried it for a while and it worked for me.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,90506.msg1393118.html#msg1393118

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tareece

Yeah, I gotta raise my manual up more... its a few inches
Off the grass, and thats fine because I dont saw much right now. I manually move the logs (which are no more than 10 ft long.) but still at 52 im not able to be Beastmode lumberjack like in the past.
Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

WDH

Raising the mill to knee height makes a huge difference.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!