iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to use instead of water for lube this winter

Started by Jeremy2200, September 24, 2011, 01:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy2200

Alright winter is coming on and this will be my first winter sawing when I can find time that I'm not in the deerstand. What is the best thing to use to replace water lube system. I once heard of some people using diesel. Do they use it straight 100% or what. Tell me what works best

Jim H

Use windsheild washer fluid. I've mixed it half strength and had good results.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Kansas

Diesel, knowing that you will go home smelling like it. But it works the best. Biggest question is what are you cutting. Diesel is best for oak,hickory, ash. Other species windshield washer fluid. Some don't need any. If its pine, others can comment better than me on that.

Brad_S.

If you do go the diesel route, which is what I use year round, straight works fine.  A little drip of diesel goes a long, long way...much different than water where you have to keep up a pretty good flow.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

red oaks lumber

windshield washer fluid. diesel fuel is for trucks :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Collima

Windshield washer fluid.  Cheaper than diesel.  Works great!
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

thecfarm

Probaly would use more windshield fluid than diesel. I use a 50/50 mix of bar and chain oil and diesel. I use only a drip every few seconds. A gallon last a long time.BUT I only cut for myself. Probably most cars drip more than what diesel I use. But using diesel may make certain finishes not stick to well. Depends what kind of wood and what it's being used for. I only saw out building lumber for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

You need to consider what your mill is set up to use...systems are made a little different although on the same principle...what might work for one might not work for another..Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

jcbrotz

Used anitfreeze good friends own a garage they love to give it away.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

ladylake

Diese, way cheaper the washer fluid as you only use 1/10 as much.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

One gallon of -32° windshield washer fluid and four gallons of water is what WM recommends for our area.  Works for me.  (A search will find several threads/posts on this subject).
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

so for those of you that use diesel fuel, do you use a winter blend ? regular fuel gels up at 10 deg.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ladylake

Up here in the cold the diesel is mixed out of the pumps and doesn't gel.  When it's 5* above or so I'd have to run straight washer fluid which gets expensive.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

I intend on making a diesel lube system for my WM, I'll use felt wipers that ride on the blade
All you have to do is keep them wet. I don't really care for the water lube system, I don' t like all the wet sawdust gunked all over the mill. But, until that's set up, I'll use washer fluid in the cold temps.
Too many irons in the fire

Banjo picker

Quote from: red oaks lumber on September 25, 2011, 09:20:05 AM
so for those of you that use diesel fuel, do you use a winter blend ? regular fuel gels up at 10 deg.

:D :D :D Are you kidding me ...I am not going to fire the mill up any where near that cold...I think that may be the reason we are not flying the stars and bars right now...we like to be in the house by the fire in the winter time...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ladylake

Quote from: Banjo picker on September 25, 2011, 03:48:12 PM
Quote from: red oaks lumber on September 25, 2011, 09:20:05 AM

:D :D :D Are you kidding me ...I am not going to fire the mill up any where near that cold...I think that may be the reason we are not flying the stars and bars right now...we like to be in the house by the fire in the winter time...Tim

Wuss, anything above 0 is fine up here.    Steve

250quality

Diesel all the way!! Used to play around with windshield washer anti freeze and water but I'm never going back.
A drip system will make a gallonof diesel last forever and no pitch on the blade either.
Year round at my house.

sparks

\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

terrifictimbersllc

Anybody who uses Cascade gel know whether adding windshield washer fluid causes the Cascade to fall out of solution?  Does the WWF have any benefit to clearing sap on its own?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

i use diesel. i currently am using deisel that came out of a salvaged dozer. not good enough to run in a motor so it gets used on the mill.

the drip system on a wm and on a ez boardwalk or on a cooks are all totally different. the diesel ones are set up to run a drip or less every 3 or 4 seconds. wm is set up to run a flow of water on the ones i have seen anyway.
my woodmizer using friend was using water all winter last winter and with minimal trouble. here is how he did it. fill the tank with hot water from the tub or water heater. put a blanket over it on the mill. make sure you let all the water out when you are finished.  he did saw during some of the record cold we had last winter. highs of 20 and lows at night of -15. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

The antifreeze agent in most WW fluid is alcohol and it also has some detergent.  It might stratify a bit, but certainly not completely.  I'm sure that it would have some cleaning ability on it's own, but I doubt enough for our SYP.  This is simply my opinion and not based on experience.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Not that it really matters,I have two flow controls on mine. One I turn off and on and the other controls the drip flow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!