iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Missing the fun

Started by Peter Drouin, January 19, 2013, 08:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Hi all I thought I would Put up some pics, so you guys in the south are missing the fun

small job so haff way I took some pics of the frozen logs, It was +5 :D

you can;t leave the board on the cant, it will freeze together, or try to cut them all then take them off, it will be one block of wood, saw dust frozen on the mill, what a pain but all fun :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Peter, no excuses from you ;D  looks cold, at least the sun is shining!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dgdrls

red oaks lumber

i suppose its time to find a coat :) up til now a sweatshirt was plenty. i think the term "frozen tundra" is reffering to the solid mass between my ears :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

GDinMaine

You are tougher then I am.  I was sawing until sundown on Thursday.  It was about 10F by the time I had everything covered up.  Snow was crunching underfoot and the sawdust froze to the boards.  It was a beautiful, crisp and clear day.  Yesterday I was trying to cut frozen trees for firewood in the 5-10F weather. Also a lot of fun.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

4speed

Y'all are a lot tougher than I am. If it's below 60 degrees, I feel like I'm gonna freeze. I could never make it "up north".

beenthere

;D
Above 60 deg is where my comfort level ends.
Zero F to 60 F is about right to perfect.

I was in for cataract surgery last week and the nurses were trying to load me up with hot blankets (right out of an oven !! ). I said no thanks, but they said it is kept at 62 F in the operating rooms. That temp was perfect for me so no blankets thanks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sixacresand

These Georgia tempertures are just right.   Hands warmed by the sawmill engine,  warming fire burning in a barrel.  cold tea or coffee when you want it.   It don't get no better.   It hasn't been cold enough in Georiga for many years to have snot sickles hanging from your nose.  lol
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

loggah

Peter, at least its not real cold !!! you know like we used to get !! ;D  i was over to my brothers this morning they were putting up trusses this morning on his sawmill building,supposed to put the metal roofing on monday  before the cold snap . Those are some nice little logs there. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

taylorsmissbeehaven

Great logs, cant imagine the boards freezing together like that. We got about an inch and a half of snow last night and today it was 52 degrees! Yall are tuffer than I am, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Jasperfield

Note to Self:

Do not take winter job above Winchester VA.

Chuck White

Looks like you're doing ok, Peter.

I don't saw in the Winter, my creature comfort zone is between 35° & 85°F.

I have sawn in early Spring at times when the sawdust would freeze on the lumber, and what I did was scrape it off with a wide puddy knife.  Worked pretty good too.

We were going to string some more sap line today, then didn't, the temperature (34-38°) was fine, but 35mph winds with gusts to 45mph was just too much.

We worked in the sugar house instead!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rooster 58

Peter, those are some nice lookn' popsicles er I mean logs ;D

Peter Drouin

Well hot or cold when work comes you go do it :D
one thing though frozen w pine log with stress in it won't move when your cutting it,
[ will lay flat ] :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

The numbers don't tell the whole story.The coldest most uncomfy winter I ever spent was in Memphis,not really cold but the dampness went right through to your bones.When you get up north the air is dryer and not as bad as you would think.Of course the wind is a killer north or south. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Peter you do good,real good. I head for the house around 14°. I have a certain amount of clothes that I put on. It may start off at 20 sometimes,but I can feel the cold when it starts to get down around 14. I just start to get cold and head for the house. I don't have to be out in any more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!