iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut Throat Depth

Started by JimFX, April 09, 2013, 11:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimFX

How important is a really deep cut throat depth? For instance the Timber King seems massive when compared to the Norwood however, If my car had a top speed of 180 MPH that would give me bragging rights but how often would I actually use that ......?
Thanks
Jim

pineywoods

Depends on your sawing technique..If you saw a board off the top of a cant and then off-bear it, throat depth is not a factor. However if you do like me, (I'm a bit lazy) I square up a cant and then saw through and through, leaving the boards on top of the cant, then use a fork lift to pick up the entire stack for removal. On a mizer lt40, I can saw 14 4/4 boards before hitting the throat depth limitation. I have to keep that limitation in mind when sawing larger logs.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ianab

Where it can count is quarter sawing, where you may start by splitting the whole log in 1/2, then into 1/4s. So if you only have a 10" depth of cut, and want to split a 24" log in 1/2.. you are kind of stuck.

Obviously there is a point where a greater depth of cut is not much benefit. Having a 30" depth of cut on a mill that only handles a 28" log is a bit pointless  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JimFX

Quarter sawing ... yes of course.

and forgive the questions ... a "cant" is a log and "off bear it" is to remove it from the log after cutting?

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: JimFX on April 09, 2013, 11:59:08 PM
Quarter sawing ... yes of course.

and forgive the questions ... a "cant" is a log and "off bear it" is to remove it from the log after cutting?

I'm sure there is an official description here somewhere, but in simple terms a cant is what you would call a log that has been squared up and ready to saw into boards.
i.e. its no longer a log its had some knawing on it  :D

Off bear is to take the boards cut from the cant and stack them aside..

and +1 for big throat depth while quarter sawing...

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

dboyt

Good questions.  On a manual mill, there is just too much cranking to raise the head over more than three or four 1" boards.  An 8" throat will still let you quarter saw 18' diameter logs.  I have had to square off some cants to quarter saw them, but that still gives some good-sized boards.  Throat depth is one of many things to consider when looking at sawmills.  A rigid frame, solid carriage, user-friendly controls, and a good clamping system are more important to me.  Lots of terms to learn, and toys tools to think about.  FF is a great place to learn and get opinions!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

JimFX,we do have dictionary. Go to the Menu Bar,hover your mouse over Extras,click on to Forestry Forum Dictionary and you should be all set,
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I removed the board drag back option from my sawmill years ago to increase the throat depth.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Me too, Lynn!

Mine took up about 3 inches of throat depth!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JimFX

A dictionary ... sweet. That helps us new people for sure, Thanks.

I thought Dave's point about doing a lot of cranking on a manual mill was good.
Something you don't necessarily think about until you have to do it.

Good feedback from all.

Thanks!

KnotBB

Definition of cant should also include large sawn pieces of a log that are intended to be resawn.  As an example, larger logs might yield three or four cants.  Just need two flat and squared sides.
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

ladylake

On a 4 post mill that has 16" above the blade you can turn a odd shaped log up and get some oversized ones though fairy easy. On a WM you can leave it hang out the side but it still has to be turned up on the next cut. Either way a large throat helps. My B20 only has 12" and I wish it had more sometimes.  steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Steve's description is spot on.  This is why we have to gun barrel, octagon or Bibby oversize logs. 

Steve, what current TK does the B20 equate to?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom the Sawyer

The replacement for the B-20 is the Timberking 2000.  4 more horsepower, but the big deal is the 32" wide throat (8" wider), the head up/down is now hydraulic and extremely fast compared to the old 12v motor on the B-20.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

ladylake

Tom  My B20 came with a 27 hp Kohler, the early TK 2000 came with a 34 hp and might have a 38 hp now.  My brothers 34 hp has way more power than my 27 hp ever had which was underpowered in wide cuts in hard wood. While my B20 cuts lumber fast TK did a real good job with the 2000 with the larger capacity, bigger chain turner, better log loaders and really fast up-down. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Banjo picker

Jim good analogy on the 180 mph...its all about what you intend to do with it...and what you want....example being MM and Chuck have taken off their board drag back, there is no way I would run mine with out it...diff. manufacture and made different....

Since you are considering all these options...you need to open a topic on debarkers.  ;)  They are mights nice....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ga Mtn Man

The cut throat on the 2000 is 33".  The throat depth (height above blade) is 16" which, surprisingly,  is the same for even their smallest mill.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Tom the Sawyer

Steve,  my B-20 was made in late 2007, it has the 30 hp engine.  It does fine with 20-24" wide cuts.  I could certainly see how the additional hp would help with slabs 33% wider than that.  Even so, I probably wouldn't mind slowing down a bit if I could mill boards that wide.

GaMtnMan,  it is not surprising that the throat actually measures 33".  I think they understate their capacity as they only 'claim' 32" for the TK 2000.  That is a much better approach than buying something that doesn't measure up to the claims.  smiley_thumbsup

I was very fortunate that, although I got my mill after I built my barn, I was able to fit my B-20 under the 'lean-to' portion of my barn.  Bad news is that the TK 2000 is taller and wider and I would have to build a new saw shed if I upgraded.  Good news is that the paint on the TK 2000 is apparently drool-proof. ;D
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Chuck White

Quote from: Banjo picker on April 11, 2013, 06:36:56 AM
Jim good analogy on the 180 mph...its all about what you intend to do with it...and what you want....example being MM and Chuck have taken off their board drag back, there is no way I would run mine with out it...diff. manufacture and made different....

Since you are considering all these options...you need to open a topic on debarkers.  ;)  They are mights nice....Banjo

I removed my dragback not so much for cutting depth, but it blocked a lot of visibility down through the throat!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on April 10, 2013, 07:26:54 AM
I removed the board drag back option from my sawmill years ago to increase the throat depth.

I redid mine only down an inch now,I got it up tight :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

When I am sawing, I prefer all of the workers to be in front of me handling slabs and lumber.  That way, I can stop operations instantly if I see something unsafe, etc.  I never used the board drag back anyway.

I still have the roller tables, etc. that came with my sawmill that I could use if I was set up permanent but since I only saw portable, they are still in the barn where I unloaded them. 

Banjo picker

I wasn't gona commit any more on this, but I think I will...I am set up stationary...on a con. slab.  I have roller tables behind the mill...first stop...slabs...second and third ...product....I use the drag back for every thing...It slowes me down when people are out in front trying to get a slab or a piece of lumber....I have to stop to keep from putting them in danger....

My mill is equiped with a 15' control box that handles most operations of the cut ...so I can stand any where I want to see whats going on....Like I said before dif. machines set up different ways....to each his own...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!