iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exporting tally from SawlogCalcPro.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 15, 2018, 07:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I know there are a few people using this app on here. I can't get it to export he tally in an email. I have the recipient and cc entered, but when I try to export,  it opens my text messaging window, not email. When I used it on my last phone, it emailed with no trouble. I'm on a Samsung  S7. Any help appreciated. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

I'm curious about this app what's it do for ya?
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

You set up a tally for a customer. You put in the length and diameter and it calculates the footage and gives you a list of each log, footage,weight  (which is usually way off), and $ value, if you enter that. Then you can email to the customer, if everything is working.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

NorcalMatt

Not sure if this will help, but have you restarted your phone recently?  That's the first thing I do when something isn't working right.  On my phone, the app seems to work well.

Tom the Sawyer

Dave,

I just sent a message to the developer, hopefully he'll check it out.  I haven't had any trouble with the export but he really appreciates any bug reports, especially with the information about what device it is occurring on. I also use an S7 and when I hit export it brings up a window with choices such as messages, gmail, fb, etc.  You might have told another app to "always use" text messaging and it may be using the same authorization.  There is a way to reset that in your settings but I can't remember the last time I did it.

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Tom the Sawyer

Dave,

Not sure if this is the answer but take a look.  On your S7, go to Settings, Applications, SawLog Calc Pro, scroll down to "Set as default" and see if Messages is set as a default.  It isn't on mine but that may be why I get a box with choices instead of going straight to Messages.  If it is you should be able to tap "Set as default" and clear the default.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.

4x4American

That's pretty cool.  Do they let just anyone use the app or only paying customers?
Boy, back in my day..

Tom the Sawyer

Doug,  there is also a free version for Android phones, SawLog Calc.  IIRC, the Pro Version is about $3.  The free version does all of the calculations but I think it only stores one tally and may not export.  The developer just joined and may be on soon to answer questions.

4x4American

Thanks Tom.  Seems like it could be a good app.  It's too bad they don't take cash cause I don't like to do online paying for things so I tend not to.
Boy, back in my day..

Jeff

Tom, how can you know that he joined?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom the Sawyer

Jeff,

He told me he had joined and submitted a response to the issue in Dave's original post.

Jeff

He logged in once but never made a post.

Joe Diederichs

Dave

Tom is on the right track. The phone is now set to take the export text from SawlogCalc and ship it out as a text message. This can be changed.

To fix it, you'll have to go the settings for your text message app and undo the "Open by Default" setting. On my Moto G I go to Settings, hit Apps, hit Messaging, and hit Open by Default. Now I see a button to Clear Defaults. Once I hit Clear, it removes the connection so that text messaging is not the default for text any more. The next time I export from SawlogCalc, it will ask me how to send the export again. Be warned that when you clear defaults, it probably clears ALL defaults. Next time you go to send a text, you will probably have to select how again. This whole sequence may not be the same on your phone, but it should be pretty close.

When you export from SawlogCalc, it bundles up all the text from a tally, hands it to the Android Operating System, and says "send this". The OS takes it from there. Usually, the first time you export, the OS gives you a choice of all the apps you have that could possibly send text somehow. If you hit "just once" after choosing one, you'll get the same choices next time. If you hit "always" then the OS marks text messaging or gmail or whatever you chose as the app to use from then on. Some phones seem to default first and ask questions later, just choosing text messaging as the default for you. Every phone and manufacturer can be different.

I hope this does the trick. If not, we'll figure it out.

Joe Diederichs

Joe Diederichs

Tom, Jeff: I tried to post an answer last night, immediately after signing up. I swear I hit the 'post' button, but the computer doesn't agree, and the computer is always right. :)  I think I have it straight now. Thanks.

Jeff

I'll bet you hit the preview. BTW, welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Dave Shepard

Wow, thanks for the help. Tom, thanks for making contact. I'll check my settings when I get a chance and report back. 

4x4, when I buy an app from the Play Store, it goes on my phone bill, no online payment needed. 

Dave Shepard

I changed the messaging default and now I can select email. Everything shows up nicely with the email and cc addresses I have selected,  but when Ipress send, it moves the cursor to the recipients field. I can save a draft, but when I open it again, it does the same thing. For now,  I think I'll copy and paste into my regular email window.

Joe Diederichs

Now I'm going to echo NorcalMatt, who gave good advice: if you get weird, inexplicable behavior from your smart phone, turning it all the way off and back on is an excellent first step. Rebooting the computer that is your phone will start everything from scratch, and get rid of any glitches, errors and confusion that might be hanging around.

If that doesn't do the trick, then it's your email app (gmail, or whatever you use) that doesn't want to send, for some reason. The reason could be the address or text of the tally. It might be trying to tell you that the address is broken. If it looks OK, try deleting it and retyping it. There may be a space or other invisible character there confusing things.

Dave Shepard

I had just restarted my phone before trying. That's another issue that I've had with Samsung phones.  ::)  I'll try checking addresses later. When I copy and pasted to a fresh email window, I cc'd myself with the wrong address, and it went through, but gave me an undelivered message. Thanks for all the help!

4x4American

Ohh, on apple, usually you pay for it in the app store.  Apple wants you to have a "wallet" with them where you keep your credit cards to conveniently pay for stuff..nope not for me I don't think so !! :D
Boy, back in my day..

Tom the Sawyer

FYI,  SawLog Calc, and the pro version, are only available for the Android operating system.

4x4American

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on April 19, 2018, 12:36:20 AM
FYI,  SawLog Calc, and the pro version, are only available for the Android operating system.
Boo!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!