iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anxiety bad nerves

Started by bigred1951, July 12, 2017, 04:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

for the past year year and a half ive experienced what I just thought of just a case of bad nerves. Shakey a lot bad head aches, sweating, upset stomach, racing heart and other things. I believe these have been brought on due to life and work mostly work where I am a correctional officer very stressful environment. My wife has said several times that I just seem hateful and irritable when I come home and quiet. Last week I was at work and I guess my way of explaining it was almost nervous breakdown. I kept pacing around felt like I couldn't breath heart pounding, pouring the sweat stomach upset just felt like I couldn't handle it one more second after only being on shift for a couple hours. So I left and went to the dr and was put on meds and put off work for two weeks. I don't know if the meds are doing anything or not. I still really shakey a feels like a lump in my throat a lot of times. Ive never had these feelings before and its starting to worry me a lot. I always worry and get nervous for no reason and start trembling shaking and the more I worry the more nervous I get. I'm always exhausted even if ive not done anything if I get 2 hours to 12 hours of sleep I go o bed tired and wake up tired. It just worrys me and I'm not sure what to do or whats wrong

Ron Scott

~Ron

bigred1951

no not a vet. I'm a correctional officer in a state prison going on 5 years now

Chuck White

Ron;  Just curious as to why you asked if bigred was a veteran!   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Planman1954

I'm no doctor....
Maybe you need a change of routine, and a change of mind. I would try to change the subJect in my brain. I'm sorry you're going through a tough time.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

red

Like most I am not sure what to say , but I can tell you  you are not alone. First and most important is your regular vitals, blood pressure , weight , cholesterol how much coffee you drink and a basic stress test. Having an appetite and eating a good meal maybe the best medicine . Taking time off is good for stress . Being able to sleep and rest will take a while.  Your strength , knowledge, and experience will also help . So for now just work on basics , and listen to your doctor .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

coxy

I know just how you feel I haven't worked in 3 days because of it  >:( >:(

Crusarius

Is there some other area you can move to at work to get you out of the anxiety zone? That would be my first attempt to resolve it.

muggs

It sounds like you are describing a panic attack. I can relate. I worked in a mental hospital. One day I went in and quit. I could not do it one more day.  Good luck.    Muggs

kderby

I have some of this psychology as well.  Mine is not crippling but for some people it is.

It is very wise that you are asking about it.  You have a wife who wants you well, that is huge.  When I had my first significant panic attack, I told my wife to treat me like I was injured.  My brain was broken.  Just like a broken leg.  I was damaged.  I told her to keep me safe and get me help.  She did just that.  The doctor has been a help and my wife has been a Saint.

I work to find my safe space because the panic attack behavior is fight or flight behavior.  I also have Xanax .  I am not the addictive type so I keep it on hand just in case.  There are times when taking that medicine is a real solution. 

This is not rational behavior.  You are not getting eaten by a lion or drowning but sometimes that is what it feels like.  Getting told things will be "OK" is not much help.

The good news is that the world is a grand opportunity.  Life is a miracle.  The Sun comes up every day.  Pursue and locate the opportunity that is out there so you do not feel so damned.

Empathy from Oregon

Kderby

drobertson

I had it, or whatever it hit  me this past March,  I lost my dad, and headed back home for the arrangements and family stuff.  Christy and I switch off on the driving so after her leg I got back in the saddle and all was good, then out of the blue, I had issues, like fear of heights or something,, long story short I still fight with it, its like the steering wheel is covered in grease.  Sweating and stuff,  bridges and rivers cause issues, so age for me, I do not know, you are young, stress I know plays tricks on the body.  Surgeries I've heard can cause issues,  I use to be kinda crazy about jumping off bluffs , no fear of heights at all.  Now a bridge bought gets me,, I'm hoping you can work through it,
anxiety is a paralyzing thing for many folks.  I've read and studied on this and getting back in the saddle seems to be the best cure, working through it..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ox

Any recent surgery that had you put under for it?  This can cause big problems in the brain sometimes.  It did for me.  I've been told I haven't been quite right or the same "me" since... :-\
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

barbender

I've been there, Big Red. Panic attacks, anxiety, whether you have a medical condition or brought on by a stressful enviroment, it plain sucks either way. For me, it was probably learning to handle stress. My mom went through this, figured out her thyroid was way out of whack. If it's your job, if you hate it or it's too stressful, get out would be my advice. Find something where you want to to work in the morning, that's what I had to do.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

A lot of good insight and advice here, Big Red. At thw very least, it should help you see how common this is in people around you, from similar walks of life. You are not alone.

Ron Scott

If a Veteran, I was suspecting there could be PTSD issues.
~Ron

Ianab

Quote from: Ron Scott on July 16, 2017, 10:34:33 PM
If a Veteran, I was suspecting there could be PTSD issues.

Doesn't rule it out either. People can suffer PTSD from non-military situations as well. Important thing is to figure out WHY, and then what you can do about it.  Medical condition / Stress  etc. Something isn't right and you have to figure out what, and change something,
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

That's what I've been thinking too, Ian.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WH_Conley

Big Red, I had most of your symptoms a few years back. Went to two doctors that just wanted to put me on more pills. I guess I was Doctor shopping because I didn't want to take a bunch of Happy Pills. Third Dr I went to said most of my problems were Acid Reflux, the racing heart and on edge. He said one thing would lead to another. Put me on Prilosec and you would not believe the difference. It threw me a loop because I would not think anything like that was connected. I understand some of the stress you are in. I worked with prisoners for awhile but mine were minimum security. I think you work Maximum security at Big Sandy don't you. I am just guessing and maybe it will give you something to look at.

If you want someone to talk to about the old Junky trucks we used to drive and wore out sawmills send me a PM with your phone number.  am not that far away from you as the Crow flies. Sometimes just shooting the bull about something else completely helps. Be happy to meet up sometime drink some coffee and tell some lies, er, fine points of life.
Bill

bigred1951

Well I ended up quitting the prison got a job now as a security guard at a stave mill 7-3 Monday thru Friday. I really like it. The little pay I lost will even out in gas. I was driving at least 45 mins one way now it's about 10-15 mins one way. The Dr give celexa but I stopped it. It made me feel funny and couldn't sleep. Starting to feel a little normal old self.

WH_Conley

Bill

barbender

Ianab

Stress from a job that you aren't enjoying can certainly affect your health.

Hence the "change something" advice. No job is worth your health, and if you are happier with the new job, it's all good. Certainly better than having to take drugs to keep functioning in a job you don't really want to be doing.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

There,good for you. Will be less wear and tear on the vehicle too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bigred1951

Still been very stressful past couple weeks. My wife's grandmother went in for surgery to fix an anorism? The Dr told her small chance she make it out of surgery but without it maybe 6 months. So surgery went well they ended up putting a total of 13 stints in and fixed the anorism. But her other health complications have made it hard. Her vitals are always going up in down for over a week. Yesterday they had to put her back on the vent. Then Monday we took my mother in law to the er because of head and neck pain. 2 years ago she had breast cancer. Then last year she had a tumor on her brain. Well turns out the tumor come back. So they did surgery Tuesday and took it out. So far she doing good but still in the hospital. This is her 3rd round of cancer in a little over 3 years. At least my wife's mom and grandmother are in the same hospital.

Magicman

Rather than "stressful", I would label those events as some of the "normal challenges" that are associated with being caregivers for our older generations, and sometime children and siblings.  It sorta goes with the territory.

One of the best ways to relieve internal stress and to sleep well at night is to do some manual work, be it exercise or whatever, so that you are actually tired at bedtime.     
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!