iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timely Suggestions

Started by Bill Johnson, April 30, 2001, 10:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Johnson

Fatigue and Safety at the Workplace

Long work hours and/or many consecutive days of work can fatigue workers and make them feel tired, sleepy, irritable, depressed, or giddy.

Fatigued workers tend to:
-react more slowly than usual
-fail to respond to things going on around them or respond incorrectly
-show poor logic and judgement
-are unable to concentrate
-are more forgetful and less motivated
-have a greater tendency to take risks

Most people need 7.5 to 8 hours of uninterrupted quality sleep each day; less than this can lead to sleep debt that will add up over time. A single nights shortened sleep may not effect your performance on the job but repeated disruptions over days or weeks can affect performance.

Bill

Tom

Bill,
The Medical field could certainly learn from these suggestions.  For years, Doctors in training have been put in situations where they must work ungodly hours, sleep on cots or standing up and still be able to diagnose life threatening illness and sew up gaping wounds.  When you go to the emergency room, think about  how far your doctor has been pushed and whether he has had as much sleep as you.

Kevin

My wife the doctor(who isn`t) decided it was time to reduce my salt consumption(which it wasn`t) .
Probably a good idea for some but what she didn`t know is that my blood pressure is a little on the low side and while working in the bush I`ve felt a little faint at times and my real doctor tells me I need to eat salt.
It might be worth having your blood pressure checked if you are experiencing similar problems.

As far as bears go, just get yourself a real good pair of running shoes.
Now I know what you`re thinking and you`re right, you`ll never outrun a bear but you don`t have to.
You just need to outrun your partner!  :D

Don P

Read a good tip on bear ID in Readers Digest the other day.
How to tell a Grizzly from a Black bear.
If its climbing up the tree behind you, its a Black Bear.
If its shaking the tree till you fall out, its a Grizzly Bear.

On the thread...this is the time of year I dehydrate, well other than summer. Its easy to forget to drink enough when you get cool.

Jeff

Did you know that there is a real good way to tell weather that pile of crap is black bear or a Grizzleys?  Pick through it. If it has little steel bells in it it's grizzley. The Hikers wear the bells to scare the bears away.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill Johnson

A Busy Season on Logging Roads

The arrival of spring means a sharp increase in traffic on logging roads.  Logging crews, log haul truckers, silvicultural workers, anglers, and cottagers share routes that vary from well maintained primary haul roads to ones that are rough, narrow, winding, sparsely signed and minimally patrolled, if at all.  The danger of colliding with a large animal such as a moose, bear or deer is constant and other obstacles such as washouts, large rocks and logs can crop up without warning.

Operators of company vehicles on logging roads need to be aware of the designated speed limit and other special rules of of the road, as well as communications procedures (usually two way radios) and other safety considerations for encounters with other traffic, epecially working vehicles.  Do not operate any vehicle unless you are trained, qualified and competent to do so and always wear a seat belt.

Tips for safe travel include:

Do not pass another vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary.

When following stay well back to avoid dust and flying stones

Traction, especially steering and braking is considerably reduced on dirt or gravel surfaces, reduce speeds to match conditions.

Headlights should be on at all times.

Source OFSWA Industry Alert
Bill

Bill Johnson

Last Wednesday, the 15 about 30 of here attended on ice training.

The morning consisted of in class work mainly reviewing policy and discussing hypothermia, how to recognize it and what action to take.

The afternoon was spent outside learning how to toss a safety line and how to prepare a person suffering from acute hypothermia for transport.

Then we all headed for the lake to try out what we learned.
It was -25C with a wind chill making it feel like -37C so there were not too many volunteers for going through the ice.

The instructors showed how to sample for ice thickness using a small auger called an ice screw.  At 10 feet from shore there was about 9 inches of white ice, at 35 feet from shore there was still 8 inches of white ice and at 50 feet from shore the instructor went through the ice.  It was only 1 1/2 inches thick!!  

The class expected thin ice because it was known that there was current in the area, what we really didn't expect was that the instructor only had to walk out to go through.

Because this was part of the training he had safety lines attached and a dry suit on it was no problem pulling him out but did illustrate the point that you can never tell when out on ice what the thickness is.

He was in 4-5 other times showing us how to get out using ice picks, and various other rescue techniques, all in all a very instructive day if not a very cold one.
Bill

Bill Johnson

Heat Intolerance from Prescriptions or Performance Pills.

Several events in the states have brought to light an evolving problem that could put firefighters at increased risk of heat related injuries.  A number of prescriptions as well as over-the-counter drugs and treatments contain agents that interfere with the body's ability to maintain normal body temperature during work or under conditions of environmental heat stress.  Therapeutic agents include drugs such as diuretics, laxatives, antihistamines, beta-blockers, tricyclic antidepressants, vasoconstrictors and others.  This includes such substances as caffeine, ephedrine and creatine, which are often used as additives in performance enhancing supplements.

Creatine is a natural substance that is often used by bodybuilders to increase bulk.  The downside to this is that it causes the body to retain water in cells so the water is not available to dissipate heat.

Caffeine is a diuretic, which tends to increase the flow of urine in the body.  This increase of fluid output, if not offset with and increased input can increase dehydration.  Coffee, tea, soft drinks and energy drinks contain caffeine, which also serves as a stimulant.

If you or any of your employees are taking any prescription or over-the- counter supplements, please consult a physician or pharmacist about possible side effects while working in hot conditions.

So much for the what not to do, firefighters are encouraged to use sports (carbohydrate/ electrolyte) beverages (Gatorade, PowerAde, etc.) which enhance fluid intake, help retain fluid, provide energy, and maintain cognitive and immune function during prolonged work in the heat.

Don't forget Water!

Bottom line...stay hydrated!

Bill
Bill

DanG

Thanks, Bill. Excellent post and a good reminder.

It occurs to me that we don't use this part of the Forum nearly enough. How 'bout it, guys. Doesn't anybody besides Bill have any safety tips?

Oh yeah. Bill, you're allowed to post on the rest of the Forum, too. :D :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Wudman

As I looked back through this tread, I came across something that I would caution about:

>>I envy those fellows in the North Carolina Mountains that can walk over to the Spring and get a cool drink of water whenever they want. That's the best.<<

Back in the early 90's I worked across a good portion of the Piedmont and Foothills of North Carolina.  At the time, I would stop and drink from a spring in the woods.  I acquired a giardia infection (a protozoa) somewhere along the way.  In a three month period of time, I dropped from 205 lbs to 155 lbs.  I was tested for basically everything known to man, scoped top to bottom, and generally violated in every way possible.  I had about decided that I was going to die when I ended up at Carolina's Medical Center in Charlotte.  The attending physician, fresh from his schooling, reviewed my case.  His first question for me was what do you do for a living?  I'm a forester.  Do you ever drink from a spring in the woods?  Yes.  He said, I think you may have a giardia infection.  Five bucks worth of antibiotic and a few days and I was fine.  

I carry my water with me these days.  Just be aware that if you have major stomach problems without justification, bring up the possibility of a giardia infection with your doctor.

Wudman  

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Jeff

We were on a job back in the early 80s with a beautiful stream running through it. Gravel bottom and crystal clear. I was working in the woods because the mill had no work. I stopped the skidder, walked down and rinsed my hard hat out then filled it with some of the best tasting cold water I thought I had ever tasted.  I dumped ou the remainder of the water over my head and stood there looking around me thinking how great life was. Thats when I looked upstream and noticed the dead sheep laying right in the middle about 30 yards away.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill Johnson

Given that some of us may not be all that familiar with snow, this seems like a timely suggestion.

Safe Snow Shoveling

Snow and ice create a hazardous situation for everyone but especially for seniors and people with disabilities.  

Shovelling and using salt, sand or other substances with ice melting properties will help reduce the potential for slip and fall incidents, which can cause serious injuries.  

Safe snow shovelling requires proper preparation, the right tools, good technique and knowledge.

Preparation

•Talk to your doctor about this activity and your health status before winter season arrives.

•Think twice if you:
oHave had a heart attack or have other forms of heart disease
oHave high blood pressure or high cholesterol levels
oAre a smoker
oLead a sedentary lifestyle.

•Consider hiring a student or using a volunteer service if you are a senior.

•Shovel at least 1-2 hours after eating and avoid caffeine and nicotine.

•Warm up first (walk or march in place for several minutes before beginning).

•Start slow and continue at a slow pace (Suggestion: shovel for 5-7 minutes and rest 2-3 minutes).

•Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration (starting before shovelling activity).

•Shovel early and often:

oNew snow is lighter than heavily packed/partially melted snow

oTake frequent breaks.

Tools

Shovel:

•Sturdy yet lightweight is best (a small plastic blade is better than a large metal blade)

•An ergonomically correct model (curved handle) will help prevent injury and fatigue if you are lifting snow (e.g. to pile it up on a snow bank)

•Spray the blade with a silicone-based lubricant (snow does not stick and slides off).

Clothing:

•Wear multiple layers and cover as much skin as possible, and delayer so you don't sweat and make yourself chilled, as you work and warm up

•Wear a hat and scarf (make sure neither block your vision) and wear mittens (as they are warmer than gloves)

•Ensure you wear boots with non-skid/no-slip rubber soles.

Technique

•Always try to push snow rather than lifting it.

•Protect your back by lifting properly and safely:

oStand with feet at hip width for balance

oHold the shovel close to your body

oSpace hands apart to increase leverage

oBend from your knees not your back

oTighten your stomach muscles while lifting

oAvoid twisting while lifting

oWalk to dump snow rather than throwing it.

•When snow is deep, shovel small amounts (1-2 inches at a time) at a time.

•If the ground is icy or slippery, spread salt, sand or kitty litter to create better foot traction.

Knowledge

•Shovelling snow is strenuous activity that is very stressful on the heart.  The weight of the snow you are moving adds up quickly!

•Exhaustion makes you more susceptible to frostbite, injury and hypothermia.

•Stop shovelling and seek emergency medical help if you feel you may be having a heart attack.  
Symptoms include:
oDiscomfort or heaviness in the chest, arms or neck
oUnusual or prolonged shortness of breath
oA dizzy or faint feeling
oExcessive sweating, or nausea and vomiting

References

City of Toronto Emergency Medical Services (EMS): http://www.toronto.ca/ems/safety_tips/shovelling.htm
Bill

Minnesota_boy

Bill,
I was with you on that until I got to the part that said "Shovel at least 1-2 hours after eating and avoid caffeine and nicotine. "  I'm getting too old to keep up the pace of shoveling for 1 to 2 hours just after eating and if I don't have my caffeine, I fall asleep.  :D :D ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sawguy21

Bells in the bear scat, that is funny :D Jeff is right though, the bears quickly learn that humans carry food so these bells are dinner call. Especially when said hiker chucks his/her backpack on the dead run.
Lots of good tips here. I have had beaver fever from that clear mountain stream, dang that is good water, and endured a marathon session on the privy
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Buzz-sawyer

There is no such thing as safe ground water for drinking in my book.
Once while taking a group of kids back packing in Rocky mnt nat. park..........we headed up to a 10,000 foot camp site and planned on boiling water there to drink.........well I found myself VERY thirsty upon arrival and saw that crystal clear mnt water trickling out....gotta be good right?
Well I spent a hellish night of projectile ejection from all available orifices..beaver feaver..........never again........a back packers hand purifier makes it totally safe in 5 minutes or less....... :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Gilman

Wudman,
You have any more of that water?  I could stand to loose about 100lbs.  I don't want that cheaper projectile dual orifice water, just your special mini thin water.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kirk_Allen

While stationed in Alaska we commonly drank from rocky mountain streams. Must have been lucky considering I never got sick in 12 years of drinking from them.

Ernie

Our farm and domestic water supply comes from a spring at the top of the farm.  Gives us about 70 psi by gravity.  It runs through the bush for about 20 meters before it dumps into our collection hole where we have our system inlet.  We get a lot of bits from the pungas (tree ferns) around the site and the odd eel blocking the poly pipe at a join but other than that have had no problems.  After reading this thread, I think I may get an analysis done to see if it as safe as we have assumed for the last 18 years.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!