iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Shed over my Norwood LM2000

Started by Slingshot, September 23, 2009, 10:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

This is my 1'st post on the milling section, just got into sawmilling this past winter with a Norwood Mark 4
then sold it and bought a new LM2000 with lots of bolts, nuts, and a new hat. Went together with no hassel
with the help of a Makita cordless impack tool. Saws great, so I'm building a shelter for it with some overhead
lifting beams. Thought I'd add this to go with some other posts on Norwoods and millsheds.

I live near Elizabethtown, Ky. Semi-retired from paperhanging, painting, carpentry. (went to a vocational
school several years ago and took a course in welding)

Here are a few pictures of what I have up as of now. I will be adding to it later on. Had these old rusty beams laying around, so I put them up and painted them up.......

______________________-

sgschwend

Great show, thanks for the information.

and welcome to the board.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Onthesauk

Charles, you've taken log turning to a whole new level!  Looks great!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

jdtuttle

Have a great day

KyTreeFarmer

Hey great job everything looks good. Might have to come visit and check out that shed. I live near Lexington.
Welcome to sawmilling.

Mike
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

RENOV8R

Well played, Slingshot.  You have a great shed there!  Welcome to the forum and keep the pictures coming.  It's a good thing you're getting that done now...5 years for me now, and I still have yet to get one made.  

Slingshot

Thanks for the comments. I didn't mention it but the shed is 12X24 between the posts and the roof overhangs another 2 feet in front. The main trolley/suport beam is 29 feet long. I set it in a little from front posts so that, using a chain hoist, I can slide a log in along side the mill, lift up, place a support under log and roll onto the mill. thought I might do this if I need to load a log with other logs laying in front of the mill. Of course most log loading will be with front end loader on my MF 135. I am going to install an electric winch overhead also to assist in log/lumber handling.

Mike---welcome anytime. I live between E-town and Hodgenville. (I can give you a phone number if youre around or decide to come over.)

bandmiller2

Good job Charles your not only a painter but an iron worker.Electric power around the mill is handy even if just for a fan when its hot.I have a 110v winch on a trolly I've been thinking about mounting over my mill to help handling logs and heavy cants ,with a set of lifting tongs should be handy.Keep us in the loop your a man worth watching.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DanG

Nice looking shed for sure!  I like the beam and trolley system.  I was gonna suggest an electric winch, but you beat me to the thought. :D

Welcome to the Forum! :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

John_Haylow

Nice job on your building. Welcome to the forum.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

rickywashere

Quote from: Slingshot on September 23, 2009, 08:55:10 PM

Thanks for the comments. I didn't mention it but the shed is 12X24 between the posts and the roof overhangs another 2 feet in front. The main trolley/suport beam is 29 feet long. I set it in a little from front posts so that, using a chain hoist, I can slide a log in along side the mill, lift up, place a support under log and roll onto the mill. thought I might do this if I need to load a log with other logs laying in front of the mill. Of course most log loading will be with front end loader on my MF 135. I am going to install an electric winch overhead also to assist in log/lumber handling.

Mike---welcome anytime. I live between E-town and Hodgenville. (I can give you a phone number if youre around or decide to come over.)

hope that offer is open  to us all i'm close as well and i'm down in ky all the time would love to see a in person working mill that i'm saving for
Charles Barnes

Slingshot

rickywashere;
                       Anyone is welcome anytime I'm around. I don't have a great lot going yet but I'm
  working on it.

fishpharmer

Welcome to the Forum Slingshot.  Great Shed. 

What is the size of your H beam used for the trolley.  I am considering a similar system, thanks for the pics and ideas.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

Very nice !!!  Isn't it great when a plan comes together.  And, Welcome to FF.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slingshot

Thanks for the welcomes. And it IS great when a plan comes together. I've enjoyed reading the posts of you guy's mills and sawing and admired you're mills and operations. And as others have stated, this is the place to learn milling.
Back in about the late 70's I sent for information and looked into buying one of the Bellsaw circle mills, but couldn't quite afford it at the time. When I looked into the price of the bandmills last winter I was sort of surprised as to the affordability of them. Not cheap but, but not too expensive either. Maybe some day I'll have one of them Mizer Hydraulics 8)

fishpharmer:
                      here are some picures of my trolley and support beam. It is 12  inches high and is built up with a
           2X3 by 6 inch trolley track on the bottom with a 6X6 inch T beam welded on top for extra support.
           The trolley track is made similar to a railroad rail and is the same as my center beam. I have the cross beam
           from back to front in the middle of the shed to support the smaller trolley beam. I lifted a 24 inch X 8 foot
           poplar log over the mill today with no movement of the beam.

<

fishpharmer

Very impressive.  I would have been so proud to just get the steel up there I would have never thought of painting it. :D   I can tell your a skilled painter the ground isn't grey.

Nice log too.

What are you gonna make out of the poplar?

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Slingshot

The lumber from that log is going to my brother. He's using it for siding to cover a small barn he built. Needs about
600 board feet. Here is what I got from that one log, about 240 board feet....

fishpharmer

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to the forum Slingshot  ;D 8) your well on your way to having a Nice settup there and your knocking out some nice tmber tooboot  ;) ;D 8) 8)I wish i had a shed it'll come in time Mate  ;) :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

treebucker

Hello Charles,

Good to see you got your shed up. I've got to stop by and see it sometime and chew the fat.  I've looked for a chain hoist that was rated heavy enough to pick up a big log and at a fair price because I was thinking about a very simular setup. What is yours rated for/brand/where did you get it?

We're trying to get away from working for others since we can't even get to our own stuff.  We still have a few jobs come our way that I hate to turn down and could pass your way if you're interested.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Slingshot

Hello Treebucker;

I have been thinking of stopping by Small Engines and seeing John to see if you and he might like to come out and take a look at my set-up. Welcome anytime, I'll stop over there one day this week. It's right on my way to town.
The chain hoists I have are rated 1-ton. One of them is a 'Yale-Eaton', the other, an old double pulley, doesn't have a name on it. And I picked them up years ago on some of my scavenger hunts, along with my trolleys which are Yales also. The heaviest I have lifted is that 24inch X 8.5 ft red oak. Manuevered it fairly easy. (The old double pulley is a real dog, got a chain on it long enough to use from a 15-18 ft high ceiling.)

schmism

039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Slingshot

Haven't been to HF but I have shopped a little for some similar hardware.

Here is my winch set up I am working on: The first picture is an overhead winch with the cable dropped
down to assist in turning the larger logs so I can let them down easy and keep the log from slamming
down on the bunks.

On the opposite side I am mounting a Ramsey 8500 for log lifting (ordering some pulleys to route cable).
I have a Ramsey 8500 mounted on my 16 foot trailer and a smaller Warn laying in the back of my Jeep
Cherokee. I have a receiver hitch mounting plate I am going to mount the winch in that is on the trailer.
I'll carry it in my Jeep and use it on the trailer also.

Thank You Sponsors!