iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Empty gas can

Started by Magicman, October 06, 2009, 07:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Who has ever run short of saw gas, or maybe even sawmill gas.  I made this little siphoner up several years ago to be sure that I didn't run out of generator gas while camping.  I didn't want to have to carry a gas can.  Those "giggle tubes" wouldn't work.

It's about 8' of 5/16" fuel line with a marine squeeze bulb.  It'll go in my truck fuel tank easily.  A few squeezes and presto,  a happy saw gas can.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

You carry an Oklahoma credit card too.  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Radar67

That's a good idea, never once thought of that.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Reddog

Looks good. :)

Doesn't work well with Diesel trucks :-X

backwoods sawyer

100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

DanG

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 07, 2009, 01:25:41 AM
Quote from: Reddog on October 06, 2009, 08:23:45 PM
? ? ?????? ? ?

Well I guess it wouldn't if you have a gas sawmill! :D :D

I had one of those in the truck, but the one on the boat crapped out so I commandeered it for a higher purpose.  Just go in the nearest Walmart and look in the Sports Dept.  Ya get one with the hose already on it for $13.95. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

york

talking about gas cans-just got my "no spill" can from,Bailey`s-love it.....

Bert
Albert

Reddog

? ? ?????? ? ?

DanG hit it on the head. You can't get gas from a diesel's fuel tank. ;)

nas

Quote from: Reddog on October 07, 2009, 08:34:26 AM
? ? ?????? ? ?

unless someone put gas in the diesel :o ??? ::) (don't ask me how I know that :-X :-\)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

ely

its funny, we always called them okla. credit cards, but now they are saying it in oregon too. :D

Coon

Ultimately I think it would be better if we rephrased that to Redneck Credit Card.  I believe they have the lowest interest rate of all.   :D  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ely

i bet if you asked the boy that used to steal gas from my dad he would say it carries a pretty steep int rate.  :D

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Reddog on October 07, 2009, 08:34:26 AM
? ? ?????? ? ?

Last time I checked they work well for Gas, Diesel, Water, Compost Tea, Beer, Wine and anything that is liquid. ::) Now what you do with that liquid is up to you. :o  ;D

Magicman

Had a guy to ask one time if you could siphon water.  He thought that gas was the only thing that would work..... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Water tastes better than the gas I used to syphon.  ::) ::) ::)

Alles thought I could be fast enough to pull away before the gas came.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slingshot

Years ago I never thought a great deal about sucking a tiny amount of gasoline into my mouth when syphoning so long
as I was able to grab some water for a good rinse out. But then one day I read that a small amount of gasoline sucked
into the lungs can cause chemical pnumonia and kill a person in just a few hours. Made me stop syphoning unless I have
something like the Magicman's marine bulb. Good reminder!

bandmiller2

Some of the newer vehicles are a SOB to syphon from,helps if you get a piece of nylon air brake host that will squeeze into the rubber one ,easier to feed into the tank.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dnalley

Quote from: Slingshot on October 07, 2009, 11:29:57 PM

Years ago I never thought a great deal about sucking a tiny amount of gasoline into my mouth when syphoning so long
as I was able to grab some water for a good rinse out. But then one day I read that a small amount of gasoline sucked
into the lungs can cause chemical pnumonia and kill a person in just a few hours. Made me stop syphoning unless I have
something like the Magicman's marine bulb. Good reminder!

If you don't have a marine bulb take one hand and seal the air around hose and gas tank top, blow into hose to pressurize tank, then fuel is right back at you: no mess, no fuel in mouth

Hilltop366

If you are near a air supply you can just blow air past the gas line at a 45° angle or if you have an air blower with a small tube end make a hole 1" from end of gas line at an angle towards the outlet and blow air through the line to the outlet, stop the air as soon as you see gas, both methods work really fast but the second one is less messy.

backwoods sawyer

For the water barrel on the back of the truck, I feed the hose all the way into it and plug the end with my thumb and pull it out enough to reach the jugs on the ground. This works until you get to the bottom of the barrel.
Beware of the two boys that are out way after dark just looking for a black cow that they lost.

Thank You Sponsors!