iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Very large elm or not?

Started by chop, October 22, 2015, 11:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chop

Hello. I googled "Michigan Biggest Elm" trying to compare a large elm near my house to other large elms. Found this site in my search and since I couldn't find any other place to compare trees I thought I'd try my luck here. The tree near my house is 18 1/2 feet around at 4 1/2 feet off the ground. Can anyone tell me if this is anything special or just a nice and majestic tree, Thanks. Hope this is the correct place to post this

clearcut

It's a big tree alright, but is it the biggest? The Michigan Botanical Club's Big Tree Program appears to track big trees. They don't have all of their information on line, but you can contact them through their website:

http://michbotclub.org/registry/

Nationally, American Forests register the big trees. Assuming it is an American Elm, yours has a bit of growing to do. (18.5' circumference is about 222 inches. - That's about 5.9' DBH)

http://www.americanforests.org/bigtree/american-elm-ulmus-americana-3/

Tree Circumference:324
Height:111
Crown Spread:79
Total Points:455
Nominated By:Glen Poche
Year Nominated:2010

This champion American Elm of Louisiana made its debut on the list of American Forests Champion Trees in 2010, as it is the largest known tree of its species in the country.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

chop

Thank you for enlightening me. That's a whopper in Louisiana

mesquite buckeye

I think there are state champion lists also. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

The neighbor had a pretty big one here, but not as big as yours. It died after they logged everything else off the lot. They rot fast to, not much of anything left now on the ground.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Massey Man

It is indeed a pretty large specimen.
I put one down this fall bordering one of our fields...36" DBH.
The biggest tree I've ever fell...it died during the summer.
My daughter counted the rings @125 years !
It produced 6.5 face cords of 16" stove wood...pretty impressive to look at a beast like this fall to the ground !

Thank You Sponsors!