iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540A Front Axle damage

Started by teakwood, January 03, 2019, 04:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

In 2014 i had the front axle disassembled and noticed some damage on the attack pinon.

it worked fine like this for 400hours, today i noticed a strong bang like every 7 seconds and it changed its rhythm between gears and it was just under load. so i had a suspicion.
After getting the front axle out i took some pics. the small pinon is a little more damaged but the worst is the tooth missing in the big gear, thats where the sound came from.
Can anybody help me out where i should look for a new set of pinons? i am sure OEM deere will cost a fortune, if available. Is there any good aftermarket brand or place where i can get one, or should i look for used ones??
Please help. And of course i'm logging right now and need the skidder.

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Part number is RE18890 or the new number seems to be AR61125, i could not find much yet, still searching

Southside

I realize this is vague but there is a guy up in British Columbia who has a lot of JD salvage parts. I bought an IP from him for my 540A several years ago. He does have a website, but not everything was listed on there. I will see if I can find it again. His prices were very reasonable and I actually got what I paid for. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dnash

Quote from: Southside logger on January 03, 2019, 05:57:25 PM
I realize this is vague but there is a guy up in British Columbia who has a lot of JD salvage parts. I bought an IP from him for my 540A several years ago. He does have a website, but not everything was listed on there. I will see if I can find it again. His prices were very reasonable and I actually got what I paid for.
Wally's Used Parts

I have had good luck with him as well.

JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Riwaka

Teakwood - you might need to look in the areas where that sized skidder was round/ still being run.
e.g
j-kequipment.com

teakwood

Thanks alot guys, i wrote to several but no luck yet. 

Riwaka

Air freighting?  - do you have some idea of what works best?

I see there is a direct NY, US to San Jose, CR flight (for a US east coast solution),(and Atlanta, Georgia direct too)as against the connecting flights and freight going missing. etc

teakwood

the freight is no problem, i have great experience with some freight forwarders/importers. I just ship to a direction in Miami and they do the rest. air freight is expensive but will get me the parts here in say 4-5 days 

kiko

Meridian Implement shows to have the ar61125 in stock. However they do not specify John Deere so it could be different part same part number. You will need pinion bearing and bushings seals and such. The pinion looks to have been moving as it has been hitting the carrier housing.

kiko

Part number search through Machinery Trader .

teakwood

Thanks kiko.
Machinerytrader has nothing.

a Email from papetrucks,
RE18890 changes up to the following part numbers: AR61125, RE50113, R45132 & R53771.  AR61125 is available in Wisconsin, RE50113 is in stock in Georgia and R53771 is located in Oregon.  R45132 Washer is an obsolete part.

the quote
1 AR61125 GEAR 976.14
1 RE50113 SHIM 261.89
1 R53771 NUT      9.38 
Total 1247.41 and that is without shipping, i will keep looking.

What is that expensive shim for? i can use the old shims or is that a special part? am i right in assuming that the AR61125 Gear is both, gear and pinion? 

I am mechanically inclined and i like it but have never repaired such pinions. can anybody explain me what backlash and preload is? what else do i have to take in consideration? 

Maine logger88

Seems like when i was thinking about putting a new ring and pinion in my 540b it wasnt all that much money randy at harrolds logging could get them at the time and probably still can. I thought it was around 700 bucks for a ring and pinion. I ended up just putting my old one back in cause it was just pitted 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

kiko

I cannot find re50113 anywhere on the 540a . It is a good part number but shows to be a belt idler pulley.

This is the minimum parts list I would think you need.
Jd8970 bearing cone
Jd8264 bearing cup
Jd8240 bearing cup
Jd8907 bearing cone
R37410 seal
A45401R o ring
AR61125 bevel gear set(crown and pinion)
R37464 washer
R53771 nut

teakwood

thanks kiko. the oring and seals i can get here, probably alot cheaper than OEM. Do you think i need to change all the bearings? they seem to be in very good shape. Bearings i can buy them here also, unless they are some kind of a special dimensions. 

teakwood

Quote from: kiko on January 03, 2019, 08:04:53 PMThe pinion looks to have been moving as it has been hitting the carrier housing.

I saw that too but that must have been happened long before my time. all bearings are fit tight and have no play.

snowstorm

the grindings went through the bearings and the hydraulic system if it was the front diff

tacks Y

Changing all bearings is cheap insurance. What else ran the same axle  440A?

kiko

You can unbolt the pinion housing and remove it from the front. Remove the axles from the center housing in order to remove the carrier housing to replace crown gear. Setting the preloads is not complicated. It will be done on reassemble.  We should get into that when you get to that point. Just make sure you keep the carrier bearing shims in the original location on disassembly.

ohiowoodchuck

Does the front face of the pinion on skidder and such have the +2 or-4 number. The number can be any but it gives you the centerline of the pinion  say your old pinion says +2 and your new one is +4 then you would need to take out .002 of shims. On your bearing preload you want to tighten the pinion to the the specified torque then use a inch pound torque wrench with a dial and put the torque wrench with the socket on the pinion  nut and rotate it with the torque wrench. New bearings and races should be around 14 inch pounds old should be around 8 inch pounds. I've done a lot of setups in vehicles but never done a skidder or equipment  it should be the same or close I would think. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

ohiowoodchuck

Also you can try schaffers in Illinois or hurricane truck sales in west Virginia for a ring and pinion. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

teakwood

Quote from: snowstorm on January 04, 2019, 07:14:28 AMthe grindings went through the bearings and the hydraulic system if it was the front diff

not really because the oil is trapped in the front diff. just if you actuated diff lock oil is returning to the hyd system and i don't use the lock much 

teakwood

Quote from: kiko on January 04, 2019, 09:15:00 AMJust make sure you keep the carrier bearing shims in the original location on disassembly.

Every thing is cleaned and photographed and in order to go back in it's original order. by reading the jd technical book and youtube vids i know now what the pinion shaft rolling torque is.
planetarys and brakes look perfect. Bearings and cones also look like new, is there a way to tell if they are damaged?

the shims

nativewolf

Hey just remembered that you had a potential deal to manage and maintain a fancy niche German skidder.  Did that ever get finalized?  I've been reading and learning more and more about CTL and have been impressed that waratah and others have dedicated Eucalyptus heads.  Obviously working the tropics and seems to make so much sense for the teak plantations..  Just something for you to think about on your way to becoming a mining/teak magnate.  Cheers from the chilly north.
Liking Walnut

teakwood

Quote from: nativewolf on January 06, 2019, 09:47:27 AMHey just remembered that you had a potential deal to manage and maintain a fancy niche German skidder.  Did that ever get finalized?

Funny and sad story behind that: the work was planned for October/November. The Skidder/Forwarder came in to Costa Rica mid August and is hold back by customs since then!  
Never was there such a machine imported to CR so it's not listed in any category of import goods. Customs says that is has to be imported as a road truck with 25% of import taxes and the company who ones it is fighting to import the machine as a forest/ag tractor (which the machine actually is!!!!) with 4% taxes. the difference is just like 40k!  
The company has every right to fight the lower tax and has started with lawyers a everything whats in the book, now they try on a political approach because it's a pretty good sizes firm with lots of employees and some importance for the country.  
It's absolutely typical for Costa Rica to have such a thing happen and it makes me furious how corrupt some public departments are. one guy on the trigger there is trying to get 3-5k out of the deal! and the company is banned to have a 500k+ machine sitting in customs for 4 month and has their hands tied.

The CEO's assistant called me at the end of December and ask how my time was for January/ February, but now i', logging myself and we will have to see how i can split my time to still help them out.  

teakwood

Quote from: nativewolf on January 06, 2019, 09:47:27 AMJust something for you to think about on your way to becoming a mining/teak magnate.  Cheers from the chilly north.

your funny!  My plantations are way too small to ever have any importance in the market, nether will a processor or some other expensive machine make sense for my size. Just some acres to go in my senior days and play around with 1-2 trees a day and have my living retirement plan growing. I enjoy my "woods".

The mining permit did a big step forward, 1.5 years hold off in just one institution, i kind almost gave up, but as a nice cristmas gift i obtained the "approval of environmental sustainability for the mine", lets call it that way. you need 69 steps/papers to open a quarry in CR and i'm at the 69th step now , 5 years inn and still at least another half year to go!
But that's about it with the good news for me, i'm having a bad bad start in to 2019. The skidder broke down and it will cost some $ to fix it. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out, specially to Bargemonkey who is calling around for me! i'm proud to be part of such a great bunch of guys, thanks to the  FF family.
this week i did get 2 quotes from Hindu buyers, 50% less on the price then last year!   I knew the market took a hit but half the price will not even make sense for me to cut the trees. I have 3 buyers more but if they come up with the same dang prices i will have to think about postponing the thinning of to 2020 and hope that the prices will come back. The problem is that i already spent 1500$ in mowing the underbrush and will loose that, but i think it's better to loose 1.5k than 10-15k.

Thank You Sponsors!