iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540A Front Axle damage

Started by teakwood, January 03, 2019, 04:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Yep, would be better to cut losses.  Besides, not real losses, the mowed undergrowth is important anyway.  It will show up in stem growth.  

Re processors I was thinking more of doing contract work for everyone else.  If they are selling them for euc plantations in brazil than surely it would pay in CR.  But if the stone work is starting to move ahead that might not matter.  

Good luck on the skidder parts.  I'm no mechanic so glad others are able to lend time.
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

We need to find you a newer machine here soon. My nortrax deale flat out told me NEW was obsolete, I did find a place that has NEW ring and pinion for 1250 + ship, Harold's in ME has good used for 650+. I Need to know if you need bearing and shims and need the parts #'s, both those places have the parts on hand to ship. 

teakwood

I already talked to Bargemonkey with PM's.

Ok, this is what i did. After having a old timer tractor/skidder mechanic search for the parts here in CR (he opened up 3 diffs but they didn't match) he recommended me to use my spare ring bevel gear and pinion. (i have a complete spare axle laying around but it's a rear so the ring gear is left handed and the front is right handed). He told me that i can still use it, it will work, it's just that the tooth will work on the backside, like when you drive in reverse. I didn't believe him and disarmed the old axle and put my mind behind the thought and decided to give it a try. the ring gear and pinion are like factory new.

on the left is the old damaged gear, on the right is my spare gear, like new. one is left handed the other is right handed

the old damaged gear

the spare gear mounted with the preloads and backlash adjusted

I am sure some of you will shook ya' heads but it's third world ingenuity, the fix was free and beats the heck out of spending 1500$ for a new gear on such a old machine. I use the skidder 150h/year and don't haul massive loads so i should be fine, if i get 500-1000h out of the fix i'm happy. of course i will be checking on the outside pinion shaft bearing (the smaller one) periodically because it gets all the load now and it wasn't designed to work like this.

did a small try run and had no weird sounds at all. tomorrow i haul a few hitches and will check on the differential temperature if it gets hot.  

Thanks to all that chimed in and helped me out!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Update:

i changed the oil after 60h and everything was ok, no fillings or other contaminates, that was in february.

Now, 120h after the fix, the thinning has come to a  successful end and the front diff holded up perfectly.

thanks for all the help  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

tj240

J&k equipment in new hampshire is really good for parts. They also have a website
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Thank You Sponsors!