iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a price on tractor

Started by Rockn H, August 02, 2005, 12:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockn H

Just wondering if yall could give me some insite as to what this tractor would be worth in yall's part of the country.  It's a 80' 70hp International 684 with a front end loader, new paint(doesn't mean much to me), excellent rubber on drive, the steers are p/k truck spares,and four hyd quick connects.  It is for sale local, I just can't decide what it should be worth.  Thanks

Gary_C

Hard to say without seeing it. Picture? Gas or diesel? What loader? Bucket? Any welds on the loader? Cutting edge on the bucket?

I have a IH 574 gas with IH original loader, I think the loader is a number 2000 with a extra large bucket. Some of the 84 series came with quick tach loaders so they could be used in the field. It has been used every day since 1985 and I have done extensive welding and reinforcing on the loader, overhauled the 4 cyl, 200 ci engine once, needs a new clutch again, broke both front spindles at least once, the steel fuel tank between the rear fenders is a real pain, but I would not sell it.

I suspect it may still be worth over $6,000 because there is such a demand for good loader tractors and new ones are so expensive.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Rockn H

The tractor is a diesel, it has a quick attach loader which I believe was a 2020 .  It was repainted too.  The bucket was 5', looked a little flimsy to me, with extra mounting holes on the back.  Had a spring loaded seat with a few cracks in the cousion.

Haytrader

According to my "bible" on tractors and machinery, it cost $21,155 new w/o loader.Auction prices range from $7,287 high to $6873 average and $6,482 low, all w/o loader.
Out here I can buy used loader from $2000 to $2500
Haytrader

Gabby

I sugesst you check out a site called Antique Tractors. Not only can you post your ?, but they have a forum for book values, ect. Good Luck
Never enuf time

Rockn H

Haytrader, I appreciate your input.
Gabby, I had forgot that one.  I'll add it to my favorites along with yesterday's tractors.
Thanks y'all.
Their asking $10,500 for the tractor and I just can't talk myself into it. ;D

macpower

Rock,
Condition is everything on older tractors. You got to look past the paint. I think the 684 often used the 2250 quick tach loader. For $10k it should be cherry, or close to it.  Any implements with it?What kind of hours on it? Is it complete, not missing parts. Hitch all there? Clutches ok? If I recall it would likely have a dual speed pto, does it work?
A good runner with freshened up paint would retail maybe in the $6-8k range. You want a compression test, and a fuel system pressure test. At least try it under a load. (We see stuff that has been run on range oil and #2 fuel and the pumps are shot).Is this at a dealer? If so it will run high, but should come with some kind of warranty. The front tires can be an issue with a loader, not sure truck tires can take it.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Rockn H

Mac, It does have the dual speed pto.  No implements.  Like I said, new paint does nothing for me. ;D  Everything is there, except the temp. gauge doesn't work and they mounted one on the side of the hood instead of just putting it in the dash.  The front tires are an issue for me.  Not sure about taking the weight and those tires like to slide instead of turn in the right situations.

It's setting in front of Wal-Mart. so cranking it up and working the hydraulics is about it.  If we could agree on $6500 I wouldn't worry about warranty or compression. ;D

Frank_Pender

Rh, i seen where new paint covers cracks or metal stress at times, especially with a loader. :'(
Frank Pender

macpower

Rock,
*DanG, I hope Wally World isn't going into the tractor business too.........
You seem to be looking at all the right things. Call a local tire dealer and get a price on some tires, think they are 7x16 or 71/2x16 fronts on those. Start by subtracting that cost from any offer,(they don't give 'em away) If the leading edge of the bucket shows dents, or evidence of being used to ram into things, then you will want to check real close all the welded joints and look at all the pins for stress signs.  It is an Ag loader, not an earth mover. Try explaining that to a farmer with a headland full of stumps! (Get one of those pencil flashlights with a blue LED for a bulb, it will help you find cracks, and leaks too)
Are there wheel weights? loaded tires? Weight box? You will need at least two of the above to operate it safely. A good box with pins for a cat II hitch will cost about $280-300. How about ROP? If it's not there you have another bargaining point.
If it does have a 2020 loader, I am fairly sure the "trick" set up for that series was the 2250, may be another point to consider on price. Do you have a Case IH dealer nearby that could check what the set up should be? May be worth a phone call. You may want to ask about parts availability too, I think that model was built from the early 1970's to about 1985.
Good luck! By the way, buying a used tractor from a farmer, is like buying a used car from a guy named "Honest John".
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Furby

We have a used car dealer near here whose company name is "Honest John"!  :o
Real Jerk to! >:(
Atleast ya don't have to buy from him to find that out. ::)

Don_Papenburg

You heed weights or a heavy rear blade if you aim too back out of any holes witha load of dirt in the bucket . And heavy duty front tires .  Had a red Case about that size .  Got a bigger Green one now with front assist . :)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Rockn H

I've got a box blade that was made to be weighted, so I'm good there.
Mac I've got a blue led light , never thought about using it to find cracks.  I'll give it a try next time.  The outer axle tube( the bigger one that is close to the tractor) has been welded, but that's already been considered in the price when he put it on the for sale sign.  I wouldn't expect to have any luck getting the price down by pointing out a lot of things wrong with it , and like most folks around here, he'd probably just decide it wasn't for sale anymore. :D  I think for now I'm just going to have to pass and wait for the next one.
Thanks y'all. ;D

Cowboy Bob

I  aint much for red paint, but around here you might pay as  much as 6500

to 7500 depending on the shape wearandtear.  Check  your dealer he
should be able to   get you goin...  Shame it dont have  yeller and orange
I might be able to help meself. Best of luck with   what ever strikes your 
fancy. Aint it so  in the big world of tractor collectors like us.
                     GET ER DONE...
Creek Dairy Sales~Owner/Operator
Cows or Bulls~You want em, we buy em, I sell em
Quality not Quantity

ScottAR

There's a dealer on ebay that's at Pine Bluff. Has loader tractors from time to time.   Just a thought... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

redpowerd

how many hrs on that unit? thats about what i paid for my 684 with 2100 hrs and a zf front wheel assist and 2250 mount-o-matic. from what your describing it may not be worth over seven around here.

but it may be worth 8 if the hours were low and had adequate weights. i defently wouldnt give over 10 for a 2wd 684, unless it was cherry.
we have three of them on the farm now.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!