iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Newbie to the Forum

Started by Board Cutter, February 08, 2014, 06:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdusty1

Welcome, good looking shed and sawmill.  Let's see some more pics.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

Board Cutter

I guess I don't take many pictures of my mill, I've attached an old one.  It was taken about 1 week after I brought the mill home.  Same location but no cover yet.

For those of you that operate stationary, do you sell your slab as firewood?
TimberKing 2000, John Deere 970, Hitachi Excavator,

redbeard

The cedar slabs I leave long, if the taper is not extreme I will edge them into 4"-6" -8" wide log siding. There rough but they sell. The Doug fir  I will cut 16-18" and just pile it high I will either let people come n pick it up for cash or i will deliver cords for more money. I try to seperate the alder,maple
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

thecfarm

I remember Jim Rodger putting a pile of slabs out by the road and a coffee can for money. He said he made more money selling 2-3 slabs at a time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Board Cutter

It was nice to smell sawdust again!  Did a little milling today for the first time since October.  Did all my checks and the mill fired right up and cut like a dream.

Cut some 1x10 fir I'm going to use for board and batt siding.

If I get some of my "honey do's" done, may get to do a little more milling tomorrow! ;D ;D

bandmiller2

Welcome Cutter good to have you on board. I to learned milling BFD (before forum directions) some of the lessons were tough but are now carved in stone, all lab no lecture. You have the right idea with a log deck as its considered poor form to load logs on a mill with machine, no if, just when your going to damage something. Do you have snow loads to contend with in your area or just the liquid stuff.?? What do you do about sharpening and setting your bands. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I used 10" boards and 4" batten on a horse run in.
My hat is below the star for size.

I like the 4" boards. On the way to work some guy used the 4" boards. Each time I drove by I was looking for someone outside because I liked the way it looked. He brought some boards at the local sawmill and it was a package deal and just the way it was sawed out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Board Cutter

Hey Bandmiller 2,
My mill has a hydraulic loader, so my log deck is mainly to keep them off the dirt.  About the only time I get machinery in near the mill is to pick beams off.

We get very little snow, we've gotten 3" so far this year and it only lasted a day.  We do get a lot of rain. 

I bought the Cook's sharpener and setter and have been real happy with it.  Figure it will take a while to pay for it, but I really like the convenience.

Cfarm, that 4" looks pretty good, I usually cut 2 1/2 - 3" batts.

Thank You Sponsors!