iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to buy logging/log lot machine

Started by Nate Surveyor, November 26, 2007, 10:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

I'm a small operation. I expect to buy a some sort of logging machine within the nxt 3 yrs.

IF you were going to buy ONE machine, what would it be?

I'm thinking a 40+ hp Kubota 4wd tractor, with forks in front, and some sort of timber dragger on back. This would allow me to skid logs, and organize me log lot with the frt end forks, and use a front end loader to move sawdust etc. Also to LIFT trusses for construction etc.

Anyhow, what one machine is the best?

Would it be cheaper to get 2 lesser machines?

Thanks,

Nate
I know less than I used to.

woodmills1

go to payeur.com and look at their forester package.  Tractors are delivered with in woods protection, skid plates and brush guards.  The trailer with winch and grapple is much more effective than dragging.  for a picture of mine check the thread typical day in sawmill board
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

thecfarm

How much money you want to spend?What woodmills have is great,but I could not afford that at this point and time.Too many other toys I bought.I have a 40hp Ford 4WD with a loader and a winch on the back.My Father and me have skidded out a lot of logs with it.I feel you do need at least a 40hp with 4wd.If you can affford a 50hp,that much better.There are good used ones if you not in a hurry.Just keep looking.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodmills1

I did find mine used for a significant savings.  Compact tractors really hold their value, but the desire for logging trailers is quite small compared to the tractors.  I would look for a used one.  Turned out for the guy I bought mine from it was too small for his needs.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Nate Surveyor

I shop a little like a buzzard... wait for the right tool, at the right price... I learned it from my wife. Once she gets a hunnerd bill, by gaw, it's a prisoner!

N
I know less than I used to.

Thank You Sponsors!