iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C5 grapple?

Started by treefarmer87, March 05, 2011, 10:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

Would it be expensive to convert my C5 to a grapple skidder? i like the fact of how narrow it is, and how i can go thru the woods in it, and its small enough to be towed behind my topkick also. would i be better off getting another skidder? all the grapple skidders i have seen are way too big for my needs though :(.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

I'm sure there out there.. I have seen a few 440's With grapples, and i know of a Grapple assembly thats for my 550G dozer. Similiar size would prolly work

bushmechanic

It's not worth the conversion unless you have all the items that you will need.If you have to buy everything then it's going to get expensive because you will need the arch ,grapple,hydraulics,and a good guy at welding.In my opinion it would be better to buy one if you really need one.

snowstorm

this guy knows what he is talking about ....listen to him kid.....besides graples and clutches dont get along

Maine372

better to buy a purpose built machine. grapples tend to carry the wood higher too, so narrow may not be as beneficial as you think. plus imagine the down time making no money while you try to get your frankenskidder working right.

if a grapple is what you want get one, but dont bugger up that nice treefarmer in the process.

ga jones

If your machine has the 8 lug axles it will never hold up to a grapple. You would be better off trying to find a 340 timberjack with a grapple there not much bigger than your tree farmer.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Norm

A young guy who's working his tail off and always thinking is no kid.

John Woodworth

The C5 appears to be the old Garrett 21A and the frame is not heavy enough for standard grapples,however the grapple that Baileys could be mounted on arms with the winch providing the lift, the only bad point the turn cannot be sucked fordward enough but would be ok for lighter turns.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

1270d

please remember that you can still do excellent work with a little bit larger machine.   
It might just take a little different strategy when you lay things out.  There were, and still are a lot of folks who run grapple behind hand sawyers (thinning and clear fell) doing very little damage.   

treefarmer87

i think ill hold off for now, if i do ill buy another skidder :)  like this one its not far from me  http://www.millardsmachinery.com/10267.jpg

im going to have to go to a deere one day, cause there arent many manufactures out there anymore
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!