iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is most important!

Started by The Woodcooker, January 15, 2008, 06:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Woodcooker

If you were teaching a sawmill class ( hardwoods) What do you think should get the most attention? ::)

IL Bull

Besides safety I would think how and where to make the opening cut. :P
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

woody1

If I were taking a sawmill class, the thing that would be most important to me would be to start sawing. If I were teaching the class, the most important thing should be safety. I also think that the history of the sawmill would be interesting also.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Ron Wenrich

I think there's a lot more to cover before you start the saw.  Proper setup and maintenance is a must in order for any piece of equipment to maintain a decent cut and make proper lumber.

Number 2 on my list would be wood products.  There is a difference in the types of grade.  You should know them before you set saw to wood.  I would go over the types of defects, and what is acceptable and what is not.  I'd also cover pallet stock, ties and dimension lumber.  I would cover different sawing styles.  Sawing for grade, inside out sawing, quartersawing, live sawing.

Good question.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

If you're talking about teaching a class of novice students,  I'd say start with the nomenclature.  They will need to know the names of parts of the mill, tools,  logs, lumber,   operations, procedures so you can start to communicate with them.  Even here on the Forum we'll sometimes use a word or phrase that most people outside of the trade have not heard.  For example a lot of our customers are not familiar with sizing lumber by the board feet.  Most don't even know how to calculate it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MikeH

Well, the biggest shocker to me when I started sawing (hardwoods) was how hard it was to get a clear board (select or better) out of a typical log. Clear boards come from 2 or 3 sides of a butt log and the rest of the tree is pallet material in oaks around here. To think I thought you could walk in the woods drag out a blown down tree and have 200 bdft. of select hardwood. :)
  If there is one disapointment in custom sawing, it is when I saw for someone who has a bunch of junk logs not knowing any better.
The very first log I had milled (hired a bandsawer) was a huge curly (didn't know it at the time) Maple.  :o  Over 200 bdft mostly clear maple. Had it been a big rotted oak, I probably would not be on this forum today. Six years later and I have yet to find another curly half as good as that one.  :(

cantcutter

I also think grading, if they are getting into sawing they need to beable to look at a log and know whether it is worth putting the blade to or not.

Lud

It's a trick question.

There's those that think a "class"  is always the best first step to get going the fastest-safest-most productive-blah-blah-blah-etc.

If you're lucky enough to be around wood /woodworkers/whitllers and grow up loving wood and then get exposed to someone sawing and get excited by it and get a mill and find the Forum and spend several hours a week reading real experiences and joys and sorrows and the problems being faced by those who run mills of all sizes.......

You're in a "class" already!!

The problem with a class  ,as a first step , is you get trapped into being told how to think and you'll tend to go down paths already pursued instead of exploring/learning for yourself.

Too many people don't think for themselves and let themselves be told what to think- what is possible - and never develop their imaginations.  Excuse the rant but if you get my point.......

Blaze your own trail !   Go your own direction!  Learn as you go!  IMHO  :P :P :P
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dan_Shade

Ron, What is "inside out sawing"?

Quality education and training are a tremendous help to production and a firm understanding of basic principles.  Just like with everything else in life, one has to be able to determine the level of quality of the education and training.

I'd cover opening faces, depth of cut, thickness of boards, trim cuts, orientation of the heart check, orientation of sweep, and edging to start the list.

With all presentations, it's always important to understand your audience and what needs conveyed to the audience.  Classes and seminars are presentations.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bro. Noble

I don't know what 'inside-out' sawing is,  but I've got some fine examples of some inside out wood turning that Charlie did ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

Not to bore the new owner with too much detail, at first. Switch back and forth, from safety, to operation, to safety, to adjustments, to sawing a few boards, back to safety, etc., etc.  Mix up the info, so they don't get goggle eyed and stop paying attention.  :o

A bored person is more likely to get into trouble than a slightly educated one, from the start.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

My guess at inside-out sawing would be knowing ahead what the target is in the log center (such as a 6x6 cant), then sawing down to that cant on four sides, getting the most out of the side lumber in grade and volume. 
It might (but I doubt :) ) also be sawing the log into quarters, and then sawing boards off each alternating face of each quarter out to the log surface.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

hey be sure and let me know when this class starts. i don't know or understand half of what you fellows have brought up thus far. i relly have no concept of the opening cut, or the sweep of the log, blah blah...........
i just get the log on the mill and get to sawing lumber. i really probably should go and tail some lumber for you guys and learn the small details. maybe eat a few cans of beans with tom.

ErikC

What I think would help people is to start sawing after an overview of the procedure, then review it after a log or two is cut.  Start with flatsawing some logs, then talk about when and why thats usefull. Next, some quartersawn, some timbers, cants whatever. Keep the sawing and the talking at a balance and everyone will stay interested.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Part_Timer

Ely, swingmill class starts the 18th of Feb. ;)  The travel time is a killer though.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

ely

could i request an online version of that class ;D

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Robert Long

Presuming all the above has been delt with in classes and at wood lots etc... are you planning to teach milling at the commercial level or do you plan to show band sawing or are all types of mills available to you?

Robert

Ron Wenrich

Inside out sawing is what Beenthere said.  You have to be able to build a stack so you can end up where you want before you start sawing.  Most guys know how to do that, but they just don't know what its called.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dan_Shade

that's how I saw dimensional lumber, had no idea what it was called :)

Bibbyman

Quote from: The Woodcooker on January 15, 2008, 06:39:13 PM
If you were teaching a sawmill class ( hardwoods) What do you think should get the most attention? ::)

The problem is,  there is a lot missing from this original question.  Like,  who is the student or students and how much do they know already?   

For example,  if I had to teach the basics of sawing to a high school AG class,  I'd have to start out with a lot of classroom time and then we'd go out and let them watch me saw logs for a day or more.  Then I'd likely go "one on one" while they each sawed a log while others watched.

On the other hand, if I were going to make a sawyer out of my son Gabe I could pretty much just turn him loose and have him ask questions when he needed help or stop and make suggestions when he went off someplace wrong.  He's already worked around the mill for a number of years and knows about everything except how to turn a log into lumber.  But he's seen it done a million times. He'd need practice actually sawing and getting familiar with the controls.  (He'll often load a log, turn to the right face and level it.)
Sawing since '94

Robert Long

Perhaps it should be an Apprenticeship  4 year program.  This would be more a one on one with a journeyman sawyer ( if there is such a recognized profession) .

Robert

Lud

Who wants to be around some ol' fart for 4 years? 

I managed people who managed apprenticeships and it formalized the osmosis that comes from hanging around people doing a certain type of job and talking with them about the work all the time and doing the dog work so they can sit ,  drink coffee and eat the donuts you brought since your the apprentice.

We already do all the fun stuff here at the forum.   People who want apprenticeship programs are just looking to get some slave labor /cheap help.

You have learn it yourself by doing it...and studying/being interested in the process so that you can do it better the next time you do it.  And keep doing it . 

Now ,  if you want to be my apprentice.......hmmm,    show up Monday and bring the donuts! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Robert Long

Lud;

Sounds like you had a bad experience with such a program........It's not to have cheap labour, it's to allow someone to gain from your knowledge and experience and that's a great thing at whatever the price. 8)

When an apprentice feels he/she has gained enough knowledge from you they should move on to "fresher donuts" :D :D

Robert

Bibbyman

My old Uncle Chick once told me you had to work (saw?) for 20 years to call yourself a sawyer.  And you will have studied enough to get a Batcher of Science degree.   In that case,  I'm a little over half way there.  :P
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!