iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size to mill stock for guitar?

Started by Handy Andy, April 05, 2009, 10:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

My son is after me to build him a guitar.  First I need to cut the stock to make the neck.  So could someone give me a dimension?  And is there any particular part of the log that makes the best neck?  Looks like you just resaw the sides , but appears it should be quartersawn.  Some of you guys build guitars, I've seen the pics. Hope to make something that will play, the first attempt.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

bck

Hopefully bumping this back to the top you can get somebody with more experience to give an answer.
  I think the neck would just be a 1x3. Then you could build up the heel and glue the head stock with a scarf joint. I would think a quatersawn piece would be best. You will have a truss rod in it too.
  You can carve a neck out of a 3x4 but from what I understand , laminating the heel, will be a little better.

tyb525

Acoustic or electric? Electric billets are pretty thick, 2-3 inches I think. As for acoustic I really don't know. I just play guitars, I don't make them (yet ;))
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Fla._Deadheader

Check out member getoverit. He's the Forum guru on making geetars.  8) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

bck

I think an electric would also start with a 1x3. Like I say you could use 1x3 and build up the heel , or a 3x4 and cut it out. The link below has a couple drawings that show what I mean.

http://lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Neck+Woods&NameProdHeader=Mahogany+Neck+Blanks

Steve

I buy tonewood.

This is what I like:

2 1/8" thick by 8 1/2" wide , 5' long or longer and quartersawn. The reason for pieces this long is so there is a perfect match to the back and sides. If  you have wood of consistent color and  grain you  may be able to make indiviidual billets.
Also orient the cut parallel to the outside of the log to minimize runout.
Keep any waste  in the pith as the best wood is just under the bark. A defect of  any kind is  a no no unless you can pencil grade it out.
Individually backs are generally 8 1/2" by 23" long. That will cover all the sizes from Parlor to Jumbo.
Sides are" 5 1/2" by 33" long. The about lengths give an inch for snipe. Anchor seal the ends.  No checking allowed.
My customers generally much prefer air dried wood.

Steve

Dumb me. I guess that is what I get for reading latest posts. I just saw the title and dove right in. Not really applicable to the question. That link should be what you need.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Thank You Sponsors!