Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Barcaskey

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

beenthere

SwampDonkey
Are these plates destined to become a book?  Sure hope so, as they are great.
As Mike said, thanks for going to all the work to do this. Very informative.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jon12345

Hey I think I took this class before :P

Maybe next there could be an 'aid to tree terminology' to help some people understand their ID books a little better.  Its always more fun reading stuff off the forestry forum than actually looking it up in the book.  We can learn fun words like marcescent    :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

sprucebunny

Thanks for this, SwampDonkey ;D

I discovered that I have grey birch. I'd wondered recently why some birch looked different from others
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Max sawdust

Wow thanks 8)
Keep going ;D
I did a winter identification internet search and could not identify a tree yesterday.  Alternate buds closest I could come to was Beech, but the bark is coarse not smooth.  Large tree with large branchy crown in central Wisconsin.  Buds are long and thin and purtude from the twig.

Thanks again for the great post
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Minnesota_boy

Sometimes I use the scent of the wood, either as sawn or sometimes heated to help differentiate woods.  Why don't they put sample scents in the books?  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Awhile back I did have someone send me an add for wood samples with labels for a number of tree species. I think it was expensive to purchase, and had alot of info on each species. You could have something to snif then. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wesdor

Very impressive WIP.  Thanks for all of your hard work.

Your sycamore is incomplete and I have a couple very nice sycamores in our timber.  I'll try to get out this weekend and take some pictures for you. 

SwampDonkey

You can upload pictures to your gallery and notify me with an IM.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!