iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butternut.

Started by Dave Shepard, August 14, 2015, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Came home and found these three logs in the mill yard. A hard maple and two butternut. The one on the left looks to be close to 3' on the small end and 3.5' on the big end. I didn't know it grew that big around here.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Yes. I'll have to make an appointment with the owner to slice and dice.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Of course I would not know Butternut if it came knocking at my door, so I am interested to see what is inside.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logboy

Butternut is very similar to walnut in grain and texture, but the color is a bit lighter brown. Its very soft, so its not the kind of thing you'd want as flooring. Its prized by carvers for how soft it is. Around here its being killed off by disease and unfortunately rots on the stump very quickly.

I hope you plan on slabbing those. I've slabbed truckloads of butternut for a local commercial sawmill. He claims he can get as much as walnut slabs. Now if only the guy would pay the grand he still owes me from cutting back in March.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

YellowHammer

It may look like butter but it saws like margarine.  ;D. Or styrofoam...
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bandmiller2

Isn't butternut next of kin to walnut.?? Their very common up through Maine. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

YellowHammer

They are pretty closely related, both are accused of juglone toxicity, I believe mostly by root to root contact with other plants.  Need to get @WDH to weigh in on this.  They are not uncommon around here, and generally sold very cheaply as logs, so I can get them, when I see them, for about the price of a tie log.  I've got some going into the kiln shortly, assuming I get it running again.  The biggest complaint I've heard about it is that it "fuzzes" when it's sanded, but other than that, it's very easy to work.  I've never personly built any furniture with it, but it's sells OK.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

bama20a

Hey:yellowhammer: could you (or anyone) show a picture of it after it has been sawed ? I'd like to see the wood grain.Thanks,,,, 8)
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

YellowHammer

Quote from: bama20a on August 15, 2015, 09:03:09 AM
Hey:yellowhammer: could you (or anyone) show a picture of it after it has been sawed ? I'd like to see the wood grain.Thanks,,,, 8)
Here is the stack I have ready for the kiln it's been air drying for awhile so has darkened up some. It really has a butter brown look, kind of subdued without the big heartwood and sapwood contrast of walnut.

YellowHammerisms:

WDH

Very pretty, but very soft.  Not a good choice for a project that needs to stand up to heavy use like a table top.

Like black walnut, it is in the genus Juglans.  So, they are first cousins. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I have no idea what they are going to get sawn into. Haven't talked to the owner yet.

beenthere

Butternut makes great looking paneling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

There is a guy, not far from here that makes jewelry boxes and knick-knack shelves with Butternut, and he also makes boxes (urns) for the ashes of a loved one who has passed, I don't think they'd be intended to be burried.

Butternut doesn't last long at ground contact.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I love Butternut for woodcarving and making furniture. It is soft but works great with hand tools. I carved these out of butternut except for the antlers. It is a beautiful wood and smells fantastic. I would love to get some thick 16/4 cants but it is getting harder to find. 

I am always on the lookout for Butternut  :D
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Brian C.

That is some real talent. Beautiful.

Chuck White

That's a really beautiful carving, Brian.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Love the carving.   :)

Knute

Not the best firewood but it makes the best smelling smoke.

SwampDonkey

I have an old butter tray for washing the butter after it was churned. It's probably 100 years old, maybe more. I have built a desk, chest, shelves and such with butternut. I saw a carved mask made from butternut not long ago.  A local native fellow carved it.

Up here in some parts of the country it is forbidden to log butternut trees. I don't know that it is here in NB. I was brush cutting on a piece of public land not far from here a couple years ago and all the butternut had been cut on it, a lot of stuff on the ground and lots of new trees had germinated. I found it funny however that in the company policy manual butternut wasn't to be touched since it was listed endangered, yet the mature trees had all been logged and some on the ground as evidence. I did flag a few trees that I walked by so someone would not confuse for ash.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WoodenHead

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 18, 2015, 03:32:58 PM
Up here in some parts of the country it is forbidden to log butternut trees.

Right you are!  Around here we need a permit to cut down a butternut tree.  Everyone asks me if I have any to sell, but logs are hard to come by.  I have trees on my own property, but all of them have a sickness that eventually kills them.  As far as I understand that is why they are protected in these parts.

SwampDonkey

The canker is throughout the range. I think restrictions are at the provincial level. There is very little federal land here in these parts, but about half the land is provincial public land (crown) here in NB.

I plant nuts all over my land. They are easy to get going. Plunk'm in and most grow.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nas

Here is a butternut Coffee table that I made for my sister in law.

I have several large butternuts on my place, but they all seem to be dying.  Cutting down butternuts is not allowed because they are hoping to find one that is resistant to the canker.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Banjo picker

Maybe I have got it...this one is the only survivor of about 30 that I planted that I got from Dodgy Loner...about half came up, but all but this one died shortly there after.

Its about 12 feet tall now.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WIwoodworker

Those are some nice Butternut Logs. If they were close to here I'd probably be asking who they belonged to so I could see if I could buy them. I love Butternut and am always on the lookout for nice size logs.

SW_IA_SAWYER... I sent you a PM. I could hook you up with some 16/4 if you're looking for some.
Peterson 9" WPF

Thank You Sponsors!