iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mountain Logger Skidder

Started by Loggermann, June 30, 2014, 01:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loggermann

I just bought a 1966 Mountain Logger skidder, I was told that it's a Model BB. It's got a 3-53, Gearmatic 19 and 16.9-30 rubber. If anyone has any info that may be helpful please share. Thanks!

chester_tree _farmah

No info but pics would be cool.  ;D
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

tantoy

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Loggermann

I will get some pictures this weekend. It must be pretty rare, the only mountain logger that I've seen online that resembles it is the model D at the logging museum in Missoula, Montana.

chester_tree _farmah

There r some folks on here who know of them. Did u search the forum? If I remember correctly they were/are used in the west coast states mostly.

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

barbender

I've heard of them up here, but I've never seen one in person. We need pics ;)
Too many irons in the fire

mad murdock

I never ran one, but have seen several.  They are tough machines, and good component built ones at that.  Parts are available at most auto parts, made from a lot of off the shelf stuff like Timberjack, Garrett, or CanCar(TreeFarmer).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lumberjack48

I know a guy in Squaw Lake, MN. that bought a new one in 1970. His had a two cylinder Detroit with a model 9 Gearmatic, nice little skidder, 20 cd a day machine. I think he still has it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Loggermann

That sounds like it was a model D Mountain logger. I think they had a 2-53 with a gearmatic 9

chester_tree _farmah

U will soon be the resident expert on Mountain Loggers LoggerMann.  smiley_bounce
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

hardtailjohn

They were manufactured in Kalispell, MT.  I think most of the components are common, off the shelf stuff.  Pictures would be great!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Loggermann

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures on here I will. I only have a couple of it, but I'll get some better ones this weekend.

luvmexfood

Quote from: lumberjack48 on July 01, 2014, 01:57:24 PM
I know a guy in Squaw Lake, MN. that bought a new one in 1970. His had a two cylinder Detroit with a model 9 Gearmatic, nice little skidder, 20 cd a day machine. I think he still has it.
That's what you call getting your money out of a piece of equipment. We have an offbrand tractor that is about 41 years old and it's still going. Something that has a lot of dings and scratches so you really don't care if you add another every once and awhile.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

barbender

The old standard clutch cable skidders are so simple in construction, they will go forever as long as you don't totally abuse them. My skidder is a '79 model, and it could go pull wood full time as it has been well maintained (by that, I mean it still works as well as it did in '79). There's plenty of Timberjack and Treefarmer skidders from the early 60's out pulling hitches yet, too. The other point, is that they are a machine that you can't replace, so as long as you can rebuild everything you are good. One problem with my Pettibone skidder is I hear some of the transfer case and other parts are specific to the machine and no longer available. But, when one of those parts fail, I can sell the common components (3-53 Detroit, Gearmatic winch, tires, etc.) to someone who is keeping a TJ or TF skidder going ;)

barbender

LJ48, I'd like to see that old Mountain Logger sometime if it's still around.

Loggermann

Here are pictures of the skidder

Loggermann

Loggermann

Loggermann

I'm not sure if this will work but here is a YouTube link to a video of the skidder. If that doesn't work you can find it on my You Tube channel "Ponssemann"

http://youtu.be/PS3bH9pB-Ns

MT logger

Pretty sweet Mann next ones mine!

Loggermann

Everything works good on it too! The winch works perfect and the driveline brake even works!! I think the oil pump is leaking on the front of the engine and there are at least two wheel seals out. It'll be a fun project!

MT logger

You get her fixed up and I'll visit with a couple jugs of Tanduay and steel it from you!

redprospector

Get some good ear plugs. That Detroit exhaust at the back of your head is gonna get loud.  :D
Looks like a nice old skidder.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Loggermann

Copy that on the earplugs Redprospector! Mark, if you bring a couple jugs if Tanduay I'll let you take it for a spin around the shop!! And by the way, we are hoping to cook a pig at the new shop in September sometime!

mad murdock

That is a sawwwwwweeeeet machine!!  Sounds real good too. Looked to be pretty tight and awesome looking rubber!! You scored on that one, says I!! Looks to be similar in size to my Garrett 15A. You gonna have some fun with that beastie 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Loggermann

Thanks! I'm really happy with it, it'll be a fun restoration!!

Loggermann

I got a call from the auctioneer who sold me the old mountain logger and he said that some manuals showed up for it! According to the book it's not a model BB, it's a model H. Along with the original parts book was a bunch of original blueprints for the ML-150!! I'm gonna have to get some of them framed and hang them in my office! Now I need to find a ML-150 to fix up.

MT logger

Some guys have all the luck!!!!!!!

timberlinetree

Nice score! I love stuff that doesn't have a computer in it and the only sensor it needs is the driver. :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

lumberjack48

The guy i knew that had the 2 cylinder Detroit Mountain Logger sold it about a yr ago. He got 10k for it, he said that was more then he payed for it new. 8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

That's awesome, LJ, getting more than he paid new! I wonder if the new owner will winch it up in a tree? ;D

chester_tree _farmah

Honestly I wonder if these old skidders will follow the path of the American muscle cars? They get so rare they become collected.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

barbender

I think so, look at farm tractors.

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

Loggermann

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on July 27, 2014, 06:15:36 PM
Honestly I wonder if these old skidders will follow the path of the American muscle cars? They get so rare they become collected.
That's exactly what I'm doing with this one! I'm starting a collection, I'd much rather put time and money into classic logging equipment than cars!!

barbender

That's how I feel about it, too. My Dad is into old cars, but I couldn't care less about them. But old trucks and equipment, now I'm interested ;)

Thank You Sponsors!