iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 205 need advice

Started by Mooseknuckle, July 11, 2014, 08:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseknuckle

Hey all, I'm in the market to buy a skidder for some work on my land, nothing large scale.
I'm looking at two Timberjacks.

The first is a 1968 Timberjack 205 with a ford 220 diesel, with a new transmission, new starter, new alternator, new main line and 4 chokers. But needs a brake line. The owner wants 6800.00 for it. From the picture it looks like it has two good tires and most likely two that are pretty worn... I cant see the 4th tire in the picture. 

The second is a Timberjack 205, not sure of the year. It has a cummins engine with a new clutch, rebuilt starter, all new brake system. The tires all look excellent and. There is a parts machine that goes with it for 7500 bucks. 

Any advise on the machines would be greatly appreciated. Not sure which is the better or more reliable engine.

Thanks  in advance for all your advice pictures should be attached.
Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stumpjumper83

Which cummins is in the second 205?  The 2nd machine looks a lot better, but it might just be fresh paint.  Also which cummins the 3.9?  Might have more motor in number 2 as well.

Mooseknuckle

Thanks I'lll check out that thread.  Im still waiting for a reply from the owner of the second 205 with the cummins. Not sure of the size as if yet. Ill post as soon as i get an email back. I asked for more pics as well. 

treeslayer2003

bushmechanic

It's a no brainer for me the second one with the Cummins and the parts machine. Personally I never like the 220 Ford. The 205 is a nice little skidder just right for your needs.

mnmdad

I would steer clear of the ford 220 imo they are nothing but problems

Mooseknuckle

Ya that clarke looks like ut can handle a good jag!
I just heard back from the guy and he said the Cummins is just under 100hp, he just put a new clutch and pressure plate in and he says the winch will pull the skidder upside down!! All new brake system as well.  I sent him back a message asking if the cummins was a 3.9L? Just waiting for the reply.  Sounds like good skidder, gonna go see it shortly.

Mooseknuckle

Man I haven't heard anything good about those Ford 220's, what the big issue with them?   Found a sweet IH Paylogger with a 3-53 detroit as well. Really good shape and close to me for 9000 grand. Anyone have any thoughts on the paylogger vs the TJ with the cummins?

dnash

Don't bother with the first Timberjack...the one for $6800. I wasted 8 hrs of driving to go and see it. The seller never mentioned that the transfer case was held to the frame with a chain and chain binder or the 1 18.4-26 and 3 16.9-30s...they weren't the only things either.

The second Timberjack is nicer but not perfect either. The engine is a Cummins 3.9 but it doesn't have a turbo. The wheel seals are all leaking. It needs some welding in various places and is missing the rear fenders. I didn't start it up/test it as he had the transmission removed while waiting for the clutch. I never looked at the parts machine as he has it in a different location and wasn't home when I looked at the machine. These things might not bother you though if it is just for your own use.   
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Mooseknuckle

Hey Dnash,   Thanks for the heads up on both skidders.  Ya the guy with the ford 220 was giving me 1 line answers. Not exactly forward coming with info. Man it would be nice if people were truthful so one wouldn't have to waste time and money diving around. 
So the TJ with the cummins, are the wheel seals a big deal? I'm new to the skidder scene so any advice would be appreciated. Just don't want to get into some jackpot with repairs. Is it a big deal to outfit that cummins with a turbo or is that not an option. And how much HP would you gain by having a turbo on the cummins. 
Thanks again!

stumpjumper83

100 hp is more than a 3.9 will put out non turbo.  Its more in the numbers that the 5.9 puts out.  Now a 205 is not a big skidder by any means.  The 220 ford was what 50 hp?  I have a buddy that has a 5.9 in a 380 jack, and it really moves.  So a 5.9 in a 205, especially if it was a highway 5.9 will really haul the mail.

Nothing against ih payloggers, and all other skidder brands, but to me jacks are about right for cable logging small and medium size timber.  They are a lot easier to get on and off from.  They are stable, not too bad to work on, and the winches are any speed you need.  If I had to be a logger it would be with a 240A.

One more thing, while ih made gobbs and gobbs of tractors, and a good showing in the bulldozer market, they didn't however make a lot of skidders, skidder specific parts will be difficult / impossible I do believe.

treeslayer2003

not much of an IH is IH stuff..........in other words its made out of off the shelf components.

that s7 looks nice but its an old one.......straight shift. try it out is all ya can do. all those prices seem high to me but that canada right?
i have a later s8 powershift six cylinder and i love it except the gearmatic. i maybe putting a deere winch on it.

cutter88

I know a guy that went and looked at the first 205 u posted its up in burks falls area he said its compete junk beet to death
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Maine logger88

I would go with the 205 with the Cummins just going off the pics but hard too say without seeing them in person.A non turbo Cummins would have plenty of power for a 205 if its a 4b then it would be around 70hp. The s7 apears too have hough rears which may be hard too get parts for
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

rockwall

Maine372

that s7 is tall and tippy vs the low and stable TJs. they are also known for eating planetaries.

Mooseknuckle

Hey Dnash, i sent buddy with the cummins a message asking him about the rear fenders and wheel seals leaking.  He replied by saying he has only shown the TJ to 1 person and he says it does have fenders on it and didnt elaborate on the wheel seals.  He said the engine is the 3.9 4b non turbo so maybe around the 70hp area. He doesnt know howmany hours are on the Cummins.  He is still using the Clarke so its not forsale.

So if the wheel seals are shot is that about a 2000 dollar job to do all 4 tires?

Im about a 5 hour drive from him so im gonna find out everthing about it prior to driving down and being disappointed.

Mooseknuckle

Yup i agree about the s7, thanks to this forum ill keeps my focus on the TJ. You guys have been great!  Many thanks for all your posts!

chester_tree _farmah

That Cummins will be more than enough for what u r looking to do with it. How bad r the seals leaking? Those pr52 Rockwell will leak if the mud and grease gets jammed between the end of the axle housing and the inside of the axle flange where the studs screw into. If they r clean than yes u need seals but if a person is using it for personal use and they don't leak real bad u can also make sure u check the levels often and keep them in oil. Till u can fix them. IMO.

Not sure how much it would cost to have the seals replaced by a shop....
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

KWood255

I had a TJ 215, which as I understand is basically a 205 with wider axles. It had a 220 Ford with a Herc winch, 16.9x30 rubber. It was a great machine, ran like a top and sipped fuel. It had plenty of power for me as a landowner.

I sold it last winter as parts were getting tough to find. Fordson Major tractors used the 220 engine in a few models, which helps with parts.

I ended up buying a TJ 240 as a repacement, with no regrets. A bit bigger skidder, but way more power, tougher driveline and parts are common around here.

Having said that, if I could find a nice 205, I would buy it for a toy.

If you check www.kijiji.com in Thunder Bay, there is a guy with 2 205's for sale. Typical condition I beleive.

I shipped mine a couple thousand kms. Shipping was about $2500 I think.

Good luck with the purchase.

Thank You Sponsors!