iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log truck bed dimensions

Started by brendonv, July 19, 2014, 09:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

Whats the typical measurments of a truck bed where someone will say there is approx 8 cords of log length firewood aboard?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

barbender

What is "log length"? 16's, 20's, tree length? 32' long, 8' wide, and 4' high would give you 8 cords, I think. If it's a 16' bed, it would have to be 8' high.
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

Previous thread may help... as cord weight may dictate truck size.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=35169.0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brendonv

Thanks. I was just wondering where they get the ratio. Ive sold logs off my grapple trailer and figured 190 cu ft of logs would give over a cord cut and split. Ive sold quite a few and people seem to call back. I was just wondering what ratio they are using for the bigger log trucks.  Im also wondering if im giving a grossly extra amount of wood on my two cord deliveries. I have to settle down and cut and stack off the trailer for myself and see where i end up. Just hate stacking wood.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

chester_tree _farmah

If it is always green u can use weight to give u a good idea - if u have access to scales.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Dave Shepard

The big trucks around here are all tri-axle. They usually have about 24' of bed, and I'm guessing that the interior space is about 7'wide and 8' tall. That gives. 1,344 ft3 or 10.5 cord. Most guys deliver that as 8 cord due to funky firewood shapes, room for the loader, and air space.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BargeMonkey

Ive got 25' of bunk from the loader to the headboard, stacking 12' wood for 2/3 of the load, in 2 tiers, and a final 3rd tier to set the loader in I average about 8 cord of wood on a triaxle fully loaded.

ga jones

I have 2 customers that stack there wood on pallets after they cut and split it. They both have told me 7 cords is all they get from triaxles.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

treeslayer2003

on our tractor n pole trailer, iv had 8-10 depending on length and tree taper n straightness.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ga jones on July 20, 2014, 11:31:53 PM
I have 2 customers that stack there wood on pallets after they cut and split it. They both have told me 7 cords is all they get from triaxles.
Maybe they arent loaded heavy enough.   8)   
I ran 4 cord thru my processor this afternoon, and I bet theres still 4+ cord left. It all depends on log length, when I was cutting random length I bet I only got maybe 6, slashed wood fits on that bunk like glue.

chester_tree _farmah

I have always seen 7 to 8 on a wheeler/tri axle. It all depends on the wood u r loading. Lot of air in most hardwood fire/pulp wood loads. It doesn't pack as nice as spruce and fir typically. Weight tells the truth but it isn't a legal measure of a cord in most states.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!