iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

- interesting read -

Started by BargeMonkey, July 23, 2014, 01:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

http://www.theschoharienews.com/2014/06/conesville-gods-country.html?m=1

We made the paper a couple weeks ago, and I wasnt even in the police blotter this time.  8)
I dont know if the web link will work, but its a good article for everyone who believes NY is an extension of nyc. 700 people in the town. There was 14 people in my graduating class in highschool, a "forgotten town". I think the guy could have gotten a better picture of the critters in our farms backyard but oh well.

thecfarm

Conesville,sounds like a small town.  ;D  So you must raise deer? I think that is what they are?  We have someone that does that here too. I have no idea what kind they are. We don't even have a school in Chesterville.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwilly3879

Sounds a lot like the Town of Minerva (http://www.townofminerva.us/), I live in the hamlet of Olmstedville. Minerva has about 700 people and last year's graduating class was 8 with a total enrollment on 120. Right now our school budget is up for a third vote, twice it was rejected but a voting machine malfunction is allowing a third. Since the increase in tax levy is over the state 2% cap a super majority is required for it to pass, last vote was 59% for the budget, 41% opposed so it failed. Democracy at its best. This is a rural crisis in NY.

mesquite buckeye

I hear there is a grade stake sawmill that Barge Monkey works at. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BargeMonkey

I posted that because some people still "dont believe" that in just over an hour from Albany your in no where. It takes 5 town to make the local highschool, with kids from 3 countys for a total of 230 last time I checked. Yeah the stakes and elk are us.  8)

Southside

Barge Monkey,

When we were looking to move east we looked at a lot of really nice land a bit west of you, Herkimer County to Marathon area.  Really beautiful ground and plenty of dairys for sale.  I really liked it and could see us settling down on one.  But man alive the property taxes scared us away.  Literally in most cases they were 5 times what we pay down this way, and that was for land in the farming tax reduction program. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

clww

Quote from: BargeMonkey on July 23, 2014, 11:47:08 AM
  It takes 5 town to make the local highschool, with kids from 3 countys for a total of 230 last time I checked. 
In Highland County, we have 238 students K-12.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Southside logger on July 26, 2014, 11:09:20 PM
Barge Monkey,

When we were looking to move east we looked at a lot of really nice land a bit west of you, Herkimer County to Marathon area.  Really beautiful ground and plenty of dairys for sale.  I really liked it and could see us settling down on one.  But man alive the property taxes scared us away.  Literally in most cases they were 5 times what we pay down this way, and that was for land in the farming tax reduction program.
I dont ask, but I know we have to be pushing close to 18-20k a year on the farm and what other land we own, and thats with the large agricultural tax breaks. The problem is our location being 3-4 hours to NYC, alot of our excavation customers @ home think nothing of a new 7-800k vacation home, and if you head towards windham-hunter you can double those prices. A septic system averages 20k for a small house anymore. Its a shame because alot of the kids I went to school with flat out cant afford their parents homes. We put in a place 3yrs ago that was on HGTV, 2 miles from the mill. You cant compete against the people who have 1/2mil a year plus combined incomes, we call it the "haves and have-nots" anymore. I just purchased 3acres in "town" and plan on having a local country store-gas station running by may 2015, you will cry if you see the paperwork. Planning on mortgaging my soul this next time home, Rolly 2 head is going to wait a little while.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!