iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of oak tree is this

Started by RandyMagnum, November 15, 2015, 02:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyMagnum

I gathered some acorns from my apartment in Manhattan, KS.  After they germinated, I wanted to know what species I had.  From my initial research, I concluded it was a bur oak.  I know there are some people out there with more expertise that could confirm or deny my conclusion.  This would be much appreciated. Thanks!
-Randy

RandyMagnum

I guess you will have to check out my galery to see the plant I am talking about

Shotgun

How to post photos--Click on Home button at top of page, scroll down nearly to the bottom to find "How to Post Photos".  Read and follow directions.  If you have your photo in your Gallery, you're most of the way there.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

thecfarm

I'll give you a hand,but no guess.

Edit,I see you got it!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wdmn

Randy,

You say you gathered the acorns; did they still have their caps on them? That would be a good way to determine if this little one is a bur oak.

acorn pic: http://www.drieddecor.com/images/large/dried-pods/burr-oak-acorn_LRG.jpg

RandyMagnum

wdmn,

They did have their caps on them.  I do not have pictures of them.  They look similar to the picture you had posted except, they did not have the 'fuzz'.  I did not remember seeing any acorns that did have the 'fuzz'.  Your help may assist me in narrowing the possibilities.  Thank you for that.

=Randy

mesquite buckeye

The crownlike apex on the leaf looks typical of the bur oaks that grow on my place. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dodgy Loner

Bur oak, indeed. Quercus macrocarpa.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!