iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

annoying blowdown trees, caution lots of pics

Started by WildDog, May 29, 2011, 05:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

Over the last season our farm has suffered around a 100 big trees fallen, most are Eucalyptus gums, big and useless. :( There's a couple of Box trees I can get fence posts out of. The pic where I had to cut a tree off the fence line was from my neighbour I waited 2 months but no action from him and I had to get livestock in my paddock. When I fixed the fence 12 fallow deer were in the paddock and they havn't left yet, hopefully top the freezer up this week.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

fishpharmer

The boss is a little fella,  but he has a big saw and knows how to use it.  Maybe its the big trees that make him look small. ;)   

Will the gum make firewood?

Also, do I see eight strands of unequally spaced wire? 

Wilddog, thanks for all the nice pictures. 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Some of those trees are big!  That is by definition a Whack of down trees.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That's too bad. Looks to be a common problem,I mean alot of them. Is this the nature of the trees? Get so big,or grow so long and then die and or blow over? I kinda have have problem with fir,a soft wood,on my land. But the trees that die are alot smaller,like six inches through. I blame it on the soil. In some areas on my land it grows great,but most I just cut it down and  use it for firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WildDog

I forgot to add this one, last month had a young rogue goat that got out of its paddock and into this one. At dusk I'd see him setting up camp up top in the branches. Guess what was for dinner for the next fortnight ;)

QuoteWill the gum make firewood?

Also, do I see eight strands of unequally spaced wire?
No good for firewood compared to our other hardwood Euc's,

Fish good pickup :) that fence is my overkill boundary,  8 wire hinge joint (small gaps at bottom for lambs and larger at the top) with 2 barbs on top, 1 x Botom wire, 1 x belly (selvage wire) 1 x top wire + a hot wire outrigger on both sides from a unit that does 60miles of multi wire to stop feral pigs getting in and goats getting out.

QuoteIs this the nature of the trees? Get so big,or grow so long and then die and or blow over?
A bit of both, a lot of these guys are getting old and we have some poor soils that make getting roots down hard couple this with a record wet year followed by big winds and its good excuse to get a bigger saw than the little 372xp. 

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

I want to show your post to the donkey in case it gets out again.  :D

nas

Do you ever need an excuse to buy a bigger saw? :)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!