iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uh, what??

Started by Texas Ranger, February 13, 2018, 09:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

There are these things out there that just are not friendly.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dakota

Those could rip you a new one (old saying).
Dave Rinker

sandhills

Imagine stumbling on to that in the dark!  Here piggy piggy  :D

Texas Ranger

Here in Texas used to  be called a tush hog.

DelawhereJoe

Is that a wild boar / feral pig hybrid  or just a wild boar ? I don't think I recall seeing the tusks like that on a normal wild feral pig.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ianab

Not unusual for a Feral pig here in NZ to sport tusks like that. Luckily they are heavily hunted and pretty shy of humans.

Top 10 Tusk Competition 2017 | New Zealand Pighunting Association
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on February 13, 2018, 03:07:35 PM
Is that a wild boar / feral pig hybrid  or just a wild boar ? I don't think I recall seeing the tusks like that on a normal wild feral pig.

standard feral pig

goose63

Hay Texas Ranger if you need some help with them I have a 45-70 and would love to go pig hunting  fudd-smiley
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Grizzly

We've got just a few of them east of here out in the pasture lands where my neighbor has a passel of cows. He says they don't really bother the cattle but the wolves, bear, and even cougars won't touch them. Wolves will go after moose and take their chances rather than tackle a wild pig. And so he's made it a mission to eradicate them. Cameras and trail monitoring to try and establish numbers and then hunt till nothing shows up anymore. He figures he got the last one but still has the cameras out to see if any more come in from the east. That's where a farmer opened his fences and let some go. Major problem. We deal with bears here fairly often and the children know the drill fairly well but I told them if they see one of these they head for the house immediately. Them pigs got no discretion about what they tackle.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

thecfarm

Any guess on the age? I would think it takes a while to grow a pair that long.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

braucher

Please keep shooting them none needed here in Ohio , I hear they are in southern Ohio

Texas Ranger

Grizzly, you don't ever get rid of them, down here they are like mosquito's, show up every spring.  thecfarm, no idea, about 350 pounds, so probably over 3  years old.  I did not kill this one, local hunter did not far from our lease. 

Grizzly

Yeah, your right. It's sorta wishful thinking that if you hunt hard enough you can take care of this years batch and then you have fewer to eliminate next year. Keep on wishin I guess.

We've seen them up to 450-500 lbs up here. Dangerous size.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Ianab

Takes a dedicated effort from all the local land owners to get rid of them. If you shoot a few and scare off the rest from only your land, there will be a new group move in next year from the neighbours.

Dept of Conservation where able to wipe them out in the local National Park, which is 132 square miles, surrounded on all sides by open farmland. No adjoining bushland for them to re-populate from, and any one that pops up in open farm areas soon ends up in someone's freezer.  But over a bigger bush area, if you only get 90% of them, the numbers will be back to the same next year.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

We have a few here in Southern WV. Mom has plenty of them in N. Fla. now. There were none there when I was a kid but plenty further south. I got cut on the right knee by a young one at my grandfather's house in Dixie County on Christmas Day when I was 7 y/o. I was lucky the 5-6 month old Shepherd/Boxer mix we had given Grandpa got him off me before I got cut worse even though the dog got cut to the bone in the process. Grandpa shot and killed the hog as it released the dog and tried to run away. They drove me to the doctor's house where he was having a Christmas party and "was well into his cups" as they say. His nurse was there and, since I was just a kid, they just bent me over the hood of the car and she popped me in the butt with a tetanus shot with no thought of privacy or my dignity.

The one that cut me only had tusks about 1-1/2" long. I'd hate to have had one like this monster cutting on me. He'd have taken my leg off.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

You oughta see what they can do to a dog....Them tusks are razor sharp from constantly rubbing together.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WV Sawmiller

I had a 3rd cousin down in Dixie County Fla used to hunt them. He had a big one shoulder mounted in his gas station with a plaque "In memory of Snowball". Evidently they had caught, tied and even wired the hog's mouth shut but one of the dogs still got too close and the hog gutted him even with his mouth shut.

When I was kid down there we saw an old sow with a bunch of pigs and asked Dad who they belonged to and he told us we could have them if we could catch them never thinking we'd do such. I got after one by himself and about 8" tall and ran him though a wire fence and caught him by the tail . Brother climbed the fence and got him for me then got after a different litter about 6" tall. He ran one into a thicket and caught it then the sow got after him and he took off running. When the sow got too close he through the piglet up in the air and it landed on the sow's face and she stopped to check on it and he got away intact. All was well till mine squealed and she got after me. Mine wasn't even her pig. I ran up a dead leaning live oak with the pig under my arm. I guess I was 8-10 ft high and she tried climbing but would fall off at 5-6 ft. She finally gave up and did a nose count and realize she had her whole family and left then I got down with my pig but Dad made me turn it loose. Never tell your kids something unless you mean it. Just because you don't think they can doesn't mean they won't.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Wow. I guess you guys could use some of our glaziers to thin the herd.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!