iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guide arm won't track in cold weather (Wood Mizer)

Started by Robert Long, January 21, 2007, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Long

The guide arm on my Wood Mizer just slips and won't move along in cold weather.

There is no dirt built up on the track and rollers.... the motor works well and the chain seems to be working...... the manual talks a lot about alinment of the track rollers but not much on making the track work when it's not.... it appears to happen in very cold weather.

Some suggestions or help would be most greatfully appreciated! :-[ :-\

Robert

Minnesota_boy

It took nearly 10 years for my mill to wear enough to have this problem and the fix is easy.  The rollers that guide the arm are adjustable.  When it gets cold, the arm moves less freely and the drive roller just slip on the guide arm instead of moving it.  Look in your book for adjustment procedures or just wing it like I did.  Loosen the lock nut and adjust the bolt as it is an eccentric and turning it one way makes it looser, the other way tighter.  Do it for both bottom rollers and you'll be ready for another 10 years or more.  8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Dave Shepard

That's interesting. I didn't know they were adjustable. We use lobster bands on the rollers for traction. Did you know you have to buy 5 pounds of lobster bands at a time? Do you have any idea how many bands are in a 5 pound box? :o

Maybe I shouldn't be telling everybody this, but it wasn't my idea. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Robert Long

Minnesota-boy

I did not want to play with the rollers as I believed they would throw out the alinement of the blade guides and when warm weather came I would be in trouble in another way! ::)

Robert eh eh smiley_annoyed01

Robert Long

Dave.... :P
Thanks for that tid bit I will be bringing rubber bands from broccoli spears with me tomorrow.
I hope they will work out until I can get the mill home and start eating enough lobster.

By the way, do you eat your lobster with drawn butter or other?
Milling must be good money to afford enough lobster to make up 5 LBS. of rubber bands :D

Robert

Brucer

Hey, Robert; you'll notice Minnesota_boy said to adjust the two bottom rollers. If you only adjust those two, you won't affect the alignment. It's when you start messing with one top and one bottom roller that you can cause yourself problems.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

MartyParsons

Adjust the rollers to the correct specs.  :P The blade will cut much better. You should also check the clearance on the shoulder of the roller with the blade guide arm in and out this is also adjustable. Use the same thought as measure twice and cut once. Move one roller and recheck the adjustment. I always mark the bolt before I start and mark the direction in which you turned it. If you can turn the bottem roller right (Out) or left ( IN) they need to be adjusted. If you need help let me know.
I have seen duct tape used on the these rollers also, adjustment will work much better.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Robert Long

To Marty and Bruce :P

Great stuff......I will finish up where I am at today (5 med. sized logs to cut) with the rubber bands and I will bring duct tape. It's hard to do repairs like this with the person you are cutting for watching over your shoulder!

When I get the mill back to the yard I will follow this great advice.  I assumed if the roller arm did not move up and down when I try to move it my hand that everything is correct with the roller alinment.

Thanks, thanks, thanks ;) ;) ;)

Robert

DR Buck

Robert,

The post below is from a thread on usefull sawmill mods.   These wrenches are a real time saver.  I highly recommend a set.

Re: Useful sawmill mods
« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2005, 10:45:51 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Those of us with WM mills know what a pain in the butt adjusting the blade guide arm rollers are. Trying to get them aligned properly can be really time consuming. These two wrenches will make adjusting the rollers less frustrating.

The wrenches are Snap-on sizes are 15/16" and 1 1/8". They are a bit pricey, but well worth the money.  The angled heads on them allow you to get on jam nuts and cam bolt heads no matter what position they are turned to.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Robert Long

DR-Buck

Thanks for the pics of the wrenches!

The mill is back home now and tomorrow I will spend the day fussing and tweaking the alignment and working on that pesky blade track.  I may visit our local Snap On dealer first..

Thanks!
Robert smiley_dozy_bored smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!