iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My latest gimmick (stump vice)

Started by grassfed, May 25, 2016, 08:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassfed

So I have been thinking about this for a while. I was worried that the stump vise was cast iron but it seems to be cast or forged steel and welded really well. I raise the blade to the top then shut down the skidder. After I clamp in the saw I drop the blade to the perfect height. I always file two handed standing behind the saw and just switch hands from left to right so this works well for me. This is the most comfortable/efficient hand sawing setup I have tried and since the skidder is usually close by in my one man operation it works for me. I may end up banging the vise but so far it is holding well.

Mike

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ed_K

Ed K

BargeMonkey

I know where the old stump vise in my box is going now. Never thought to weld it on, makes sense.  :D

coxy

on my buddys skidder they welded the cable cutter to the arch that works nice

H.O.D.

Good idea. I used sharpening the saws as an excuse to go back to the barn vise and take a break but now you ruined that excuse.

teakwood

your 66! you dont need an excuse to make a break, you have earned it!! ;D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ohiowoodchuck

Education is the best defense against the media.

Corley5

My blade would sag down before I could finish filing ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DDW_OR

it looks like it is back far enough from the dozer blade to keep out of trouble.

maybe add a metal cover that flips over the stump vice, that is hinged to the back of the dozer blade?
and held in place with a pin?

pull pin, flip cover forward, then use vice.
"let the machines do the work"

grassfed

Quotemaybe add a metal cover that flips over the stump vice, that is hinged to the back of the dozer blade?
and held in place with a pin?
pull pin, flip cover forward, then use vice.

I thought about doing things like that but I decided to start simple and see how it works. So far I really like it and since it is summer I am filing allot. I figure if it fails I will try some more complex design. If it lasts a year or 2 I will just go with the simple design and weld on a new one.
Mike

DDW_OR

an option for the future is to weld the vice to the flat part of a steel hinge
then weld the bottom of the hinge to the dozer.
then remove the hinge pin and store the vice in a safe place, not the same "safe place" where everything is lost  :D  ;D
"let the machines do the work"

danbuendgen

I wondered about doing this, but figured a good size branch would break off the weld and you would lose your vice...
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

grassfed

Funny you should say that because I did knock it off last week pushing up a large pile of logs. The vice survived and the weld bead cracked.

I wanted to try it and see if I liked filing in that position before I made any more complicated system.

For the time being I just welded it back on a bit further out on the blade so my left shoulder would have more room when I file left handed.

In the long run I have decided that the best way to mount the vice is going to be welding a bolt on the back of the blade. The vice has a wider flat spot on it between where the clamp part is and the spikes that go into the log.

I am going to drill a hole through the middle there and I will just bolt the vise on with a wingnut when I use it.

I will probably weld a couple of pieces of flat steel on the blade where the sides of the vice rest when it is bolted. This way I will still be able to use it on stumps as well. I'll do some pictures after it is finished.
Mike

g_man

Thanks for the idea grassfed. I tried putting it on the back of my tractor bucket. A little more out of the way....maybe.

gg

Thank You Sponsors!