iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut check cracking/splitting prevention ?! Tips ?

Started by RunningRoot, June 24, 2016, 03:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningRoot

On a big old growth tract right now( 412 acres ) and it's god quite a bit of big nice walnut on it.. I can't wait tell winter to cut them so I stared felling then yesterday.. 
My question is this..

Is there any techniques to help prevent them from splitting out in this summer heat ?!.. a lot of high end veneer in this and I don't wanna cry if they start splitting down the middle on me, lol.

I've been dropping them and topping them making my top cuts in the middle of knots and leaving them lay at the stump for a couple days to let the bark shrink and tighten up, this has been helping quite a bit but wanted to hear what others do ?!
I'll post some pics of some of these beauty's as soon as I get the time..
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

Ianab

End coating the logs with a wax emulsion like Anchorseal.

This slows down the drying in the exposed end grain of the wood, so it doesn't dry out, shrink and crack as quickly.

But you have to do it as soon as the logs are cut for best results. Once the cracks have started they are difficult to stop.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Anchorseal, Anchorseal, and Anchorseal.

Like Ian says, Anchorseal the ends.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coxy

cut them down and don't top them let the leaves suck out the water for a week  or two or till they are dry and crumble in your hand  that's what I have to do with the hickory around here other wise its pre split fire wood

RHP Logging

Quote from: coxy on June 24, 2016, 04:54:21 PM
cut them down and don't top them let the leaves suck out the water for a week  or two or till they are dry and crumble in your hand  that's what I have to do with the hickory around here other wise its pre split fire wood

I have never heard of that.  Makes sense though.  Ash is pre split firewood too. Cherry opens up as well.
Buckin in the woods

killamplanes

Yes this time up year cut a walnut leave it lay week or 2 before topping. I actually leave the high end walnut trees stand and cut everything else and come back in winter when markets open up then go back and cut good stuff. It sucks but here its the difference of easily 2x the money a bdft..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RHP Logging on June 24, 2016, 05:01:12 PM
Quote from: coxy on June 24, 2016, 04:54:21 PM

I have never heard of that.  Makes sense though.  Ash is pre split firewood too. Cherry opens up as well.
yeah i have to do what coxy said even on good poplar. if i had some real nice walnut, i would try and wait until at least august if i could..........i know how it is though, gotta cut whats in front of you.

Autocar

If there that good I would let them stand till mid September bad time of year to cut high value walnut.
Bill

RunningRoot

I'd like to wait tell winter.. but the L.O. is selling the farm and the new owner has made it clear him and his family are tree huggers.. he told the L.O. that if he doesn't cut it before the sale he'll let them " go back to the earth "
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

killamplanes

Cut fast and hard . If u can put the logs in a building away from weather and sun it will help. We do that alot this time of year
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Clark

Quote from: RunningRoot on June 24, 2016, 07:56:07 PM
I'd like to wait tell winter.. but the L.O. is selling the farm and the new owner has made it clear him and his family are tree huggers.. he told the L.O. that if he doesn't cut it before the sale he'll let them " go back to the earth "

That is easy enough to work around with a contract. In this state, a timber sale contract stays with the land, not the landowner.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

John Mc

Quote from: Clark on June 25, 2016, 12:09:21 AM
Quote from: RunningRoot on June 24, 2016, 07:56:07 PM

That is easy enough to work around with a contract. In this state, a timber sale contract stays with the land, not the landowner.

It sounds as though a contract on the timber might put the deal to sell the land in jeopardy?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

danbuendgen

No one has mentioned log savers yet. Buy them by the bucket full and buy a special hammer to put them in. They work well. I would shop around for the best price. But here is something to check out at least:

http://uccoatings.com/products/logsavers-flitchsavers/
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Corley5

Talk to your veneer buyers.  Up here they want to see the logs and they'll coat them after they've bought them.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

coxy

Quote from: danbuendgen on June 25, 2016, 07:43:42 PM
No one has mentioned log savers yet. Buy them by the bucket full and buy a special hammer to put them in. They work well. I would shop around for the best price. But here is something to check out at least:

http://uccoatings.com/products/logsavers-flitchsavers/
they work good in all logs around here but hickory when the hickory splits it will brake the plastic ts or the s  if you try to pound the metal s irons in it will re split them in a different spot  so 99% of the hickory stays in the woods for deer food  :)

OH logger

i like and my venner buyer likes the 3" by 5" truss plates actualyy better than flitch savers for walnut this time of year. sometimes in the summer the flitch savers can split the log when put in. the truss plates are cheap at lowes and eay to pound in. let the tops attached in the woods as long as possible and when you have to skid them leave them plied together till the venner buyer comes and smile cause walnut is awesome!!
john

coxy

wow never thought about the plates  thanks for the tip

mesquite buckeye

Find a pond and store them till it cools down. ;D
Too bad you can't wait till summer is done and gain one more ring. :( ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Nemologger

If I cut walnut this time of year I never top them for about a week , Wax the ends and use log keepers on cracks.
Clean and Sober

killamplanes

I also usee truss plates. After they have been priced and scaled hammer them on. Sometimes buyers get real nasty if they are put on prior to them looking at them. They can cover defects like of center hearts, double hearts, rot etc.

Veneer1

I am a veneer buyer in Iowa.  Where is the job located?  If it's in IA, IL, WI, or MO I'd be interested in them. 

In the summertime it is best to keep them tree length, then I can mark my lengths and the logger can buck behind me.  Any shade is also helpful if possible.  This helps keep the moisture in the logs for as long as possible. After the trees are bucked then I wax the ends.  Wax and flitch savers are definitely a must in the summertime.

Bill Stokes

Ill have some in a couple weeks in Illinois if you'd be interested lmk thanks 
B-T Stokes Logging and Forestry Management

Bill Stokes

B-T Stokes Logging and Forestry Management

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!