iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

0-100 mph in 1 year!

Started by jiggysmb, July 11, 2017, 01:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggysmb

Thanks for a great forum that gave us all the info we needed and lots of knowledge from great people. Some of you had great input on boiler issues, chainsaw rebuilds, and many threads that helped us prepare for what we had coming.

I know its small compared to what some of you guys work with but since last fall we finished a wood shed to hold 12-14 cords for our boiler and rebuilt 4 saws that were all burnt up with straight gas that I got cheap from a local dealer. My wife does a lot of the splitting and my kids move some of it around. Currently finishing up a path so the logs can be dropped right at the boiler and split there.

Maybe, I should have put a little more thought in discussion selection, if an admin could move to firewood that may be more appropriate than Logging  ::)

Savannahdan

Welcome and I enjoy your photos.  Your wife looks like she's ready to kick some while standing on those logs.  Bravo that the whole family is involved.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

thecfarm

Got saws?  :D :D
I have a Heatmor too. I have the size that will take a 54 inch stick. Had plans for a working garage,but doubt it now. Makes it easier when cutting wood. No problems with the crooked stuff or maybe a short limb on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Logger RK

What kind of logs are those? Basswood? Nice Saw Line up also.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

newoodguy78

That's an accomplishment to be proud of  8)

jiggysmb

Thanks guys.

We had a hell of a time with chainsaws. I had been given 2 Echo 500vl saws 20 years ago and that was what we started with. Then we were given a new echo to borrow. All were slow moving. After trying Poulan, Jonsered and Husky a guy working for the power company let me try his Stihl 260 Pro. I was sold and bought one that day. Made a new friend at the saw shop and he helped me rebuild a 039 and the rest was history. Now dead saws come to my house for a new life. When "the guys" together we cut some wood!

My wife hates to see me do anything alone, including work. I'm 6'3 and she is 4'11 and I am constantly amazed by her strength.

Honestly, I have no clue what kind of wood that is. The old man across the street from us sells us logs for $40/cord. (I say old man with great respect). Everyone that has seen our logs has a different opinion of what type of trees they are but I can only ID by leaf at this point. Some of the logs we took were cut due to the wood boring beetle that is killing a lot of our ash trees so I would guess those downed trees were ash which I believe are the logs in the pic with my wife. I really like the ash wood as I only have to put a couple 24" pieces in the Heatmor once at 7am and again a 7pm. Some of the other wood needs to be fed into it 3-4 times a day.

The same old man sold us his Baker log splitter that he had customized to split 36" logs. This was a blessing since we had bought 2 cords of 16" firewood that went up the stack in 2-3 weeks, so now we cut 24-30" and leave in 8-12" pieces that burn nice and slow.

The previous home owner said they had burned 12 cords of wood at a cost of $1500 5 years ago so they stopped using the boiler. We have it down to 8 cords, but spent just under $1500 on the wood shed, saws, splitter and logs. I feel we have recouped the investment already. Now we should be heating the house for $320/yr and having fun while doing it.

It is partly possible because of the broad knowledge here. We love being outside so the summer work is our gym membership and the winter work gets us out of the house!

Thanks again to everyone that participates here.

Logger RK

After another look,around my area it's called green ash,possibly? If it were bass wood,and you did get it dry you'd be filling the stove pretty often.

jiggysmb

I believe that is green ash, bark and leaves look the same. The ash trees I see on google are shorter with lots of branches, those were probably 60'+ logs before we cut them in half to drag.

Logging logginglogging

Yes, they look like ash to me as well.
Easy splitting straight grain wood.

hedgerow

Jiggysmb
You have a nice set up their. Those logs your wife is standing on sure look like ash to me. Ash makes nice firewood and it  nice to work with. I know with saws it is like a ford chevy thing with pickups but is hard to beat a good running Stilhl saw. Have a good safe summer making firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!