iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

keyed power switches for shop power tools

Started by JimBuis, June 16, 2006, 01:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBuis

Does anybody know where I can get keyed power switches for three phase shop equipment such as the table saw and planer/jointer?  I am looking to improve safety in the school woodshop and would like to set it up so no big shop equipment will run without having the key to turn it on with.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

amberwood

I use RS Components nearly everyday for this kind of stuff. I buy spares for ships that usually operate on the other side of the planet from the factory that made the widget..and they can help with most electrical components. Excellent delivery.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

getoverit

Most of the three phase switches I have seen come with a hole drilled in the switch so you can place a padlock in it to prevent someone from turning it on.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

JimBuis

The switches on my machines are all push button.  I guess I could install knife switches on all of them so I could simply use a padlock.  However, I am sure that companies do make a keyed push-button switch.  Amberwood's source seems to have some switches that could be made to work, but they are not exactly what I was looking for.

Jim

YeeHaaa!  Now I'm a "Senior Member".  I'm so excited!! ;D

DanG

Just keep blabbin' away, Jim, and you can be just like me. ;D :D

If your budget is tight, maybe you could make some cover plates for the pushbutton switches and just padlock the plate.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

getoverit

If it is a push button, it should have a slot cut into the surround around the off button with a small slot cut into that shroud. There is a knife shaped piece of metal witha flare at one end and a hole in the other for sliding into that slot. Of course the padlock goes in the hole and the flare at the other end keeps it from coming out.

The idea is to push the off button in, slide the key into the slot and lock it so that the off button is held in place in the pushed in position.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

VA-Sawyer

Jim,
Does it use low voltage ( 24VAC) in the control head to operate a 'starter' relay ?  If so, all you need is a small electric key switch to shut off the 24V to the ON  button.
VA-Sawyer

JimBuis

Quote from: VA-Sawyer on June 18, 2006, 01:35:41 AM
Jim,
Does it use low voltage ( 24VAC) in the control head to operate a 'starter' relay ? If so, all you need is a small electric key switch to shut off the 24V to the ON button.
VA-Sawyer

Nope.  All of the equipment has line voltage switches. No low voltage control circuits.

Thanks for the ideas guys.  Tomorrow I will look at the current switches to see if they have any provision for physically locking them.

Jim

iain

In my place i have all the three phase running through one switch box by the door, that way if i have visitors i can switch off all the machines at once,
all the machines plug into an over head conduit, and can be unplugged at will

the old shop had the one switch for visitors (they do press things)
also each machine had an isolator switch (fused), then the stop start buttons

I've seen after market covers with key's for machines , I'll have a look at where i think i saw them

Iain

Thank You Sponsors!