iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lower power pro saw or a Higher power pro-sumer saw (Stihl MS 241 vs. MS 271)

Started by grandgourmand, August 23, 2015, 09:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandgourmand

Hi all,

Someone broke into my garage and now I don't have power tools any more (shame on me for not getting locking storage).  I had bought a new Husky 445 last fall, and now it's gone.  So I'm in the market for new saw.  And I think this time I'll take a longer look at the Stihls.  But one question I have is whether people think it's better to buy a pro saw with less power or a pro-sumer saw with more power.  In this case, I'm looking at the Stihl MS 241 C-M (42cc) vs. the MS 271 (50 cc). 

I have a 30 acre woodlot.  MY primary use is for firewood cutting.  In this case, most of the wood is already on the ground (tops left over from some logging).  I don't plan on felling any large diameter trees.  Biggest on my property is probably 30" anyways. 

I'm not an experienced chainsaw operator, so a pro series is probably overkill.  However, I like to buy things with a view that they will last me forever. 

I'm open to any advice or opinions...thanks.

(and btw, I'm still open to going back to Husky). 

weimedog

The 241 is too small. 271 really not a power house either but would be a better all around choice than the more targeted to an application 241. But you are talking $550 dollars for a 241 and much less for the 271 as well...... the 271 is a better choice based on your definition or your situation. Why not a MS311? They are in the price range and are in the 60cc 4HP range.

I think the question should be phrased a little differently....what is the most saw you can buy for a $550 price point. You might want to pitch a Husqvarna 460 or 555 into the fray if you have solid dealer support for that orange stuff. The 555 or Jonsered counterpart are pro saw construction and in that prices range. If size is an issue a Husqvarna 545 is a pro saw construction in the $500 dollar range. AND they are in the 50cc class where the MS241 is in the low 40cc class.....and with those smaller saws "size" (displacement) matters unless its the old 242 Husqvarna's!

Of course the dealer support has to be one of the top considerations. If you have no Husqvarna support...get the most saw from what ever brand the local dealer support is best for... Echo, Husqvarna, Stihl, Dolmar.....what ever. And there are a lot of attractive "farm saw" options in that price range for all of those brands. Judging from the way you layed out the premise Stihl seems to be the dealer/brand of choice so work him to get the best $550 bang per buck is my advice...maybe the MS311 or MS291??
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

celliott

I'd go husky 545. Pro built saw (ought to last you forever with proper maintenance and good fuel) but at a better price point VS the 550xp or the MS261. It fits the 50cc bill, which is very versatile and sounds about right for what you're doing.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ladylake

I'd stay away from the Stihl ranch saws ,heavy and underpowered . Most have inflated HP numbers by quite a bit.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Pine Ridge

I agree with celliott on this , 545 would be a good choice if not dead set on a stihl.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

celliott

Stihl doesn't seem to have a product to match the 545, 555, or the older 353, 359's. A chainsaw that is built with professional components, exactly like their XP brothers, with a bit less power\features. At a good price point.
Husky also has the plastic cased consumer grade saws, 455\460 rancher, etc. similar to the stihl ms 251\271\291\311\391.

Stihl does make a good product, just curious why they don't try and produce a product to compete with these pro built husky's?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

grandgourmand

Thanks all, appreciate all the advice and other options.  I've got about a month to decide, so want to get as many opinions as possible. 

Weimedog...you're right, the budget approach is right.  BUT...I'm in Canada so the numbers go up because of the exchange and because things are just more expensive here. 

I like the suggestions for the 545 or the 550.  My question, though, is what is the difference in construction?  I've read some other reviews saying they are essentially the same except the 550 has a few more enhancements.  The 545 sells for $700 (+ tax) up here and the 550xp sells for $770.  But...I think I found a dealer with last year's model for $670 so that might make sense. 

So...top end of my budget is getting pushed

At that price point I can get a Husky or a Stihl 50cc MS 261 for $720.

AT this point I have a few models to look at.  But I'd like to know what you think of pro vs. pro-sumer saws?  Are they worth the extra $$$?   I suppose I can go pick one up...a  545 vs. a 550xp for example. 

As a side note...I have to go new, not used.  I'm going to deduct the cost against my taxes (woodlot earned a bit of $$$ for this year).  Also, having just had my old saw stolen, I'm not really wanting to buy used out of fear it was someone else's saw that was stolen (psychological barrier here).

Thanks again.

HolmenTree

grandgourmand, don't  liston to the advice that the MS241 is too small.
For your experience level trust me it's  perfect for you. Why gamble with a plastic  crank case "disposable " saw. The pro grade 241 with care will last you a lifetime for what you do.
The 241 is super light and comes with the excellent cutting Picco 3/8 63PS b/c that will cut anything you throw at it and you'll have excellent support with a Stihl dealer.

For the newbie I advise to go with Stihl.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

It depends on what you mean by pro-sumer saws. I'm not as familiar with the Stihl lineup, but my impression is that their midrange saws are the plastic clamshell type (someone correct me if I'm off here), similar in construction to the Husky 450/455/460 midrange saws. These saws can still be a decent deal if you take good care of them, but they will not stand up to constant full day use day after day as well as the pro or "pro-type construction" saws (from either Husky or Stihl, or other manufacturers).

Husky's top saws carry the "XP" label at the end of their name. However, Husky also has some saws that are pro-type construction (not plastic clamshell) that are not XPs. THese tend to be a little less expensive than the XPs, but are still very good saws. The 545 and 555 are two of these saws, as were their predecessors, the 353 and 359. Solid pro-type construction, but not quite the XP-type price tag (for example, the 555 lists at US$640, vs the 562XP at US$740, but both have 59.8 cc engines).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

I was referring to the advice of the consumer (disposable ) MS 311 and 271..

Pine Ridge

The price difference is huge in different areas, a 545 here is around $479.00, with a 550xp costing $579.00, stihl prices are always higher here than husqvarnas on comparable cc saws. Good luck on whatever saw you choose.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

John Mc

HolmenTree, my response was directed at the original post, not your last one.

I agree, the 241 is a nice saw. If his avarage size is not too big, it would be a good choice. If he has a lot of 14"+ hardwoods to buck up, it will take a bit of patience with the 241.

We need a bit more information to fine-tune the recommendation: what is the size he is likely to be most frequently cutting (not just 30" is the biggest on my property), and prehaps an idea of how much he cuts in a typical year.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Warped

Dang thieves!
I have an 026 pro, when I wanted something larger I went with the Rancher 460 24" bar. I'm pleased with the performance, a little much to be bucking firewood all day.....and it leaks oil like crazy! My stihl never did, until I brought this husky home, must be contagious????
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

bullet20

the ms 241 is a real nice saw , if you remember the old 026 saws at 3.2hp  these 241 saws are @ 3.1.  we upgrade it to the ps chain and let  them fly. that being said it as is the 261 are ground saws, [limbing , some bucking  etc.. very powerful, pro built  magnesium etc.. I wouldn't be scared to use a 261 for  my firewood use. actually  the 241 was designed for  the tree guy who wanted power and a rear handle  with less weight , a lot of the bucket  truck guys  were wanting an answer and got one.

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on August 23, 2015, 09:32:01 PM
HolmenTree, my response was directed at the original post, not your last one.

I agree, the 241 is a nice saw. If his avarage size is not too big, it would be a good choice. If he has a lot of 14"+ hardwoods to buck up, it will take a bit of patience with the 241.

We need a bit more information to fine-tune the recommendation: what is the size he is likely to be most frequently cutting (not just 30" is the biggest on my property), and prehaps an idea of how much he cuts in a typical year.

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on August 23, 2015, 09:32:01 PM

Sorry I messed up my last post. Typing this on my phone and somehow lost everything I wrote as I posted it.
John I agree for yours and my use the 241 would be a little lightweight for our needs.
But for the OP with very little  experience  it's a perfect saw what he needs it for. It's lightweight  with  high quality  ergonomics with still respectable power and the pro grade reliability will stand up to what ever he throws at it.
Yes he will probably  cut with a dull chain and get it pinched  a lot. ......but it will stand up and he will still have a good saw for years to come for what little cutting he has to do.

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 23, 2015, 09:01:09 PM
grandgourmand, don't  liston to the advice that the MS241 is too small.
For your experience level trust me it's  perfect for you. Why gamble with a plastic  crank case "disposable " saw. The pro grade 241 with care will last you a lifetime for what you do.
The 241 is super light and comes with the excellent cutting Picco 3/8 63PS b/c that will cut anything you throw at it and you'll have excellent support with a Stihl dealer.

For the newbie I advise to go with Stihl.

Gamble?  :) Ok. I'll bite. All in fun I hope you know. It's almost as if Stihl's MS241 is a saw similar to the old Husqvarna 42 & 242 saws in capability and where they fit. Almost powerful enough for ground work but really shine when size and weight are the priority. Saws like the Dolmar 421 and Husqvarna 543 excel in applications where weight and starting are a priority because of their assisted start concepts.. where some of the high compression 40cc saws like the old 242's pull over almost as hard as a larger saw.

For an all around saw....40cc anything is small. That's a gamble!  And he asked between the 241 mini saw and the 271 clam shell. Still think the 271 would be a better all around saw for a typical non pro...But why even recommend a 40cc anything pro for an all around saw? Especially when you can find a 545 at the same price point which is a 50cc saw. That's almost 20 percent more displacement. The Husqvarna 545 and 550 along with the Stihl MS261 are enough assuming "tops" are typical. We have five 550's at work so I have witnessed how less than skilled folks deal with smaller saws. They do better at times with the old 272xp's. And this scenario is about a one saw plan. An all around saw managing a wood lot or farm is going to see everything from carpentry to storm damage no telling how big those tree might be... a little more displacement & bar length adds capability when the need is there.

I also totally reject the characterization/generalization of clam shells as disposable saws. Have to say.. maybe confess I had a 455 for quite some time. It was and might still be the best knock around farm saw I have ever experienced and I had it along side "Pro" saws. Yes it was a little heavy for what it produced, but it always started easily, even after sitting a month or three. Didn't matter the weather even at -5, it always started. SO listening to experts I sold it to a fellow who is a logger, and a outfitter type. Bear hunter. That 455 goes with him everywhere he goes. And he has Stihl's and a 372 (built by me)...but the 455 is the saw that rides in his truck like it did on my tractor & snow machine for years and for the same reasons. I bought a 555 to replace it. Nice saw. Then bought another 455 because I lamented the loss of that trusty 455...then sold it to a farmer type who does the same with it as I did...and loves it for the same reasons. And I have one on the bench now belonging to a logger who used it as his skidder saw..because...it always starts. He dropped it out of a bucket and smashed every cover and handle...but it still runs and would still cut except for the broken stuff in the way. very rugged saws. And they would fit your characterization of a disposable saw, but they are reliable as an axe. A little heavier than similar powered pro saws but for a firewood type and /or occasional user type they may actually have advantages. Bet you will never see one with corroded magnesium cases from sitting in a barn on the concrete.

Having worked on a few including Stihl's, I have found the same things that cripples a pro saw gets clam shell's as well. Intake boots, rubber carb parts, fuel lines etc. I doubt a fuel line or carb kit in a 555 (or 261) is going to last any longer than in the respective parts in clam shells and all the rubber/plastic stuff will die long before the hard parts (Unless the bad rubber part leans out and sticks the saw) so the notion a pro saw will last longer before requiring service is BS too. Especially for an occasional user where the rubber parts will rot equally fast on either type of construction. In fact I have yet to see a clam shell saw fail because its a clam shell. Saw early husky 350's fail because of the course threaded screw holding the "clam" together & those cheap boot clamps.. the later fine threaded versions didn't have that issue so those issues weren't because they were "clam shells". I have a good friend who heats with an outdoor wood burning furnace and has kept his going with a Stihl 310...nothing has ever gone wrong with that saw so I assume the Stihl Clam shells are similar to the 455 in reliability and actually should be better because of the metal bottom end.. unless you have data to prove otherwise. One person I know says they get sold, leave the shop, and rarely come back. A good thing.

Last issue.. a newbie should pick a solid dealer regardless of brand. I can tell you the local Stihl dealers here are no where close to as customer oriented than a Husqvarna dealer SE of me and a Dolmar dealer NE of Albany I happen to know...who would be the absolute best places for a newbie to buy a saw because of that support. That coupled with the fact the Husqvarna's mid level saws are in fact pro level and sell for the same money as the Stihl clam shells... if there is a solid Dealer  using your metrics would mean he should evaluate those Husqvarna's or leave a pile of cash on the floor when the deal is done. :) And all along the product lines the Husqvarna pro saws have better price points.

You know I respect your back ground and knowledge as there are precious few who compare. But the world of occasional users/ farmers/fire wood for home types is a world I'm quite familiar with and that advise to go small and go expensive pro is simply going to have that user end up buying a second expensive saw a few years down the road...hummm that's a good marketing plan!

If the budget can handle a 555, that's a great all around saw for any farmer or fire wood type. Better than the 550 or 40cc anything. And the old saying no replacement for displacement hold true with a one saw fits all strategy which is why so many of the Husqvarna 460's and Stihl 391 and the like are sold.

:) :P just sayin...

And I hate that pico chain(admin edit) too..  :)  Has to be able to at least run 3/8 LGX to be a worth while all around saw... 8)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

grandgourmand

Ok, thanks again for all the insight and advice.  I really appreciate it.  To be honest I had been thinking more along the lines of Stihl because anyone I know who runs a saw, or has run a saw, swears by still and they made fun of me for buying a Husky (and also for going Milwaukee over DeWalt...but that's another story).  But now I'm looking equally closely at the Huskies.  Funny thing is, the pricing gap has narrowed a lot.  used to be Stihl's were a lot more expensive, and now they are pretty darn close.  And also Stihl tends to throw in the case with a new saw purchase which would add $50 or so of value to the equation.

Anyhow, here's some pertinent info for those of you who have been asking:
1) How much do I cut per year...about a cord.  I don't heat with wood.  I have a firepit and I cut wood for other people (just for fun and exercise...as I also split). 
2) Biggest size is 30"...but average size I cut I'd say falls in a range of 12"-15".  Some pieces were larger than that, like over 20" and I found the 445 slowed down a fair bit.  Did the job, but not effortlessly
3) Species of wood....70% of the stuff I've been cutting is Black Cherry.  But there's also a bit of maple, black locust, black walnut (only a bit) and some oak.  Also have a lot of red pine, but that stuff's getting punky and I use it mainly for campfires I build up while i'm at the farm.
4) Over time I plan on taking a more active approach to the woodlot management, so expect to do some of my own thinning.  But those will be smaller trees. 
5) Weight is important, but not the critical factor.  I'll rarely be cutting more than an hour at a time.
6) Dealer support...well I only know the Husky dealer and really liked them.  Small town, good service.  The chainsaw guy took the time to run me through the proper way to operate the saw, which I really appreciated.  And when I was shopping, they were pretty helpful answering all my questions...with a good degree of knowledge.  There are two Stihl dealers within ten miles or so.  I don't know if they are any good.  I assume that because it's in the country and not the city that they'll have a clue about chainsaws. 

Based on the advice I'm getting here...I'm focusing mostly on the 545, 550xp, MS 261.  50cc saws, i think are plenty for my needs.  The 555 is also in the running, but it's a $740 saw here.  I'm going to find out if the dealers have any last year models kicking around, to get me closer to my original budget. 

Last question...is a 16" bar ok?  Prices I've listed in my posts are all with this length.

John Mc

With what you are cutting, I would think a 16" bar would be ideal. It will handle that block of 12-15" wood you mentioned in one shot, and it could still cut the 30" tree if you needed to. I'm not a fan of having a longer bar than I need waving around. Longer bars are more weight, and using them to extend your reach is poor body mechanics. There are some situations that warrant a long bar, but I'm guessing that yours is not one of them. For some reason, the big box stores love to sell a small powerhead with the longest bar possible - not a great idea, IMO.

Personally, for what you are cutting, I'd be looking at a 50cc saw, but HolmenTree makes some very good points about the 241.

If your budget pushed you to a clamshell design, I've always thought the Husky 450 had a nice power-to-weight ratio for the type of saw it is. Lots of folks go for the 455 or 460 to get more power, but it seems to me like they are just a little bit more power for a significant increase in weight. If you can afford it, consider a pro type saw, unless you are the type that is likely to beat something to death, kill it through neglect, or drive over it with a tractor before it wears out from normal use.

grandgourmand

well, pricing might end up as the deciding factor.  So far I've been surprised that Stihl dealers are a bit more generous with the discounts.

I have two MS-261 options.  One is last year's version for C$650 (~US$500) and one is this year's version for CAD$700 (~US$530).  This year's version has the M-tronic, which I guess is better?  I really don't know.

As for  Husky, I can get a 545 for C$700...the 550XP goes for $780.  I could get some discounting off of these prices...but the starting points are a bit higher so I doubt they will be as low.  At least on the 550xp.  We'll see.

Dealers are all located somewhat conveniently. 

As far as the saws themselves go, if you tell me that I can't go wrong with any of these three, as long as I get the best price (from a good dealer) I'll just go with that.  Although...I do have husky chaps, wouldn't mind matching ;D

HolmenTree

grandgourmand,
Stihl Canada has a fall sale on now . MS241 C-M $599.95 , they also throw in a free Wood-Pro Kit [carry case ,spare loop of chain and a hat, value $85]

From my experience demoing the 241 you will love it. The 63PS chisel Picco 3/8 chain makes it cut like a much larger displacement saw,plus its easier to file then a full size chisel chain too.

http://www.stihlpromos.ca/e-flyer/en/fallflyer2015.php

grandgourmand

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 24, 2015, 11:17:33 AM
grandgourmand,
Stihl Canada has a fall sale on now . MS241 C-M $599.95 , they also throw in a free Wood-Pro Kit [carry case ,spare loop of chain and a hat, value $85]

From my experience demoing the 241 you will love it. The 63PS chisel Picco 3/8 chain makes it cut like a much larger displacement saw,plus its easier to file then a full size chisel chain too.

http://www.stihlpromos.ca/e-flyer/en/fallflyer2015.php

thanks holmentree...that's the deal that got me started looking at the Stihl's, and comparing the two models (241 vs. 271) since they were a similar price.  I'll go pick one up at the dealer to see how it feels.  but i do like the idea of more power in the 50cc models as I felt my 445 was struggling a bit on the bigger logs.  we'll see.  what's so special about that chain?  is it not on the 261 as well?

HolmenTree

The 63PS chisel chain cuts a much  narrower kerf then the fullsize 3/8 chisel chain,   which increases  chain cutting speed dramatically especially on a small displacement saw. Even faster then the .325 chisel chain as I have a video to show that.
The smaller cutter bit of the 63PS which takes a 5/32" file is a lot easier to file  , effort and learning curve.
Yes the MS 261 is available  with  it too.

Spike60

"Clamshell", like "open port", is one of those terms that get's kicked around a lot. Something we all can look down on from our pro saw perches. Both types of saws deserve more respect than they typically get on these discussion boards. Particularly when all that matters is do they get the job done or not.

The other thing that frequently takes place is these threads is the search for the least saw possible to get the job done vs the best saw for the job. The least saw line of thinking is usually about price, but sometimes about size. If weight is THE primary concern, then making do with a good 40cc saw is OK. I've cut a fair amount of 12-14 inch wood with a 242XP, and yeah it'll get 'er done. But that's not the same as saying it's the right size saw for the job. I'm not a big fan of taking the "what's the minimum" approach, either in size or price. I think it makes more sense to give oneself a little more than the minimum capability in whatever tool you buy.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

grandgourmand

Thanks for the insight.  I'm definitely leaning towards the "above bare minimum" requirement.  Like I said, my 445 worked well (and I do miss it...it was reliable and after 5-6 fill-ups started like a charm...and it was my first saw) but it was also a little light for the stuff I was cutting.

I went into the local Husky dealer.  Got to weigh the 550xp and the 545.  Both felt pretty good.  And I examined the 550 vs. the 545 vs. a 555 Rancher they had lying around.  And I then could see how the construction of the 545 was more like the 550xp.   The XP sure looked and felt pretty sleek (and 545 was nice too).  I told the guy that Stihl was offering me the 261 for C$700 and he told me he could do at least $50 off the 550xp (MSRP is $800) and probably more in the next couple of weeks when the fall flyer came out.  Since I'm not in a rush, I'll wait it out.  Also gives me time to check out the Stihl up close.

I'm still bummed my 445 was stolen...but I sure do love the research process.  Can't wait until September when I start spending a bit more time on the farm.  Have a lot of wood to cut...and probably more than I intended.

Thank You Sponsors!