iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question regarding powder wedge from 2009....

Started by Greg Owen, September 20, 2012, 05:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Owen

Hi Jeff:

I saw your post (with photo) from 2009 concerning a black powder wedge/log splitter, and was hoping that you might be able to help me. I collect various black powder items and recently bought one that is just like the one that you have (or had). Mine is old and used, and the main thing I am interested in knowing is, what does the paper label on a new one say exactly? From that photo, it looks like a lot (!), I guess the main question that I have concerns exactly how much powder was supposed to be used in it? The powder chamber is huge (like, an artillery shell!), so I am curious. I certainly don't plan on using this thing, aside from maybe putting in a little powder to make it go boom, anyway I thought I would ask you, since I have no other leads for information. This assumes, I guess, that you still have one! Any information that you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks! - Greg

Jeff

Yup, still have one, and still have the original sales receipt paper work and instructions somewhere, but who knows where.

The label on this one is readable, but impossible to take a photo of it all at once since it is wrapped around the powder wedge. I took two and put them together. I've uploaded a large image so you can find a way to read it. 

https://forestryforum.com/images/powder_wedge.jpg

There is no way I would advice trying to use that old wedge. It could easily kill you. Much safer ways of splitting logs with powder than those old wedges. At the least you might destroy it, and it does have value. The mate to this unused one, I sold for almost $400 and this one's label is in much better condition and I still have the original documents for it to boot. Who knows what it is worth now. It may be the last one of its kind.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I found a link to some pictures of the original documents.

Click for bigger image
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Greg Owen.   :)   How about an introductory thread and telling a bit about yourself and your sawing/forestry interest.

That is a very interesting artifact for sure.  Nice find.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!