iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Epiphany - wasp and hornet protection

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 17, 2019, 07:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Yes, I have them at random times and sometimes of great value, other times less so. (My wife calls them cerebral flatulence but I digress...)

In another thread we have been discussing the re-emergence of wasps and hornets in and around our mills, support equipment, lumber stacks, drying sheds, etc. I barely escaped 2 cases last week - one in my mill itself, another in my firewood stack and then one in a box of walnut cookies nailed me. Be careful they are there and can build quickly.

A handy tool we all have readily available that can help safely find them is our leaf blowers. Just fire it up, make a quick pass through your stickered lumber, equipment you haven't used in a few days and under the shed eaves and such. If you are lucky you will only blow out some dust and acorn hulls your neighborhood chipmunk left behind. If there are wasps or hornets hiding the high volume air should disturb them from a safe distance and can be used to defend yourself until you can get a can of wasp and hornet spray and kill them from long range or come back at night and drench them.

I just blew out my stacks of lumber, slabs and mantels and under the shed edges and will likely do that every week or so during the summer months when the vermin are active.

I suggest you may want to try this yourself and see if it works for you. In any case be careful as they are out there, they hurt and they can show up suddenly and unexpectedly.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

DanG neat idea, as I keep a cheap blower at the mill to blow off the sawdust, this is very easy. Thanks man!
Tell your wife that was a true epiphany, noting more, nothing less.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

My wife calls mine epi-fanny's so I guess the cerebral flatulence goes right along with that :D

YellowHammer

Normally, I find their nests by just just waiting until they sting me.  Slightly painful but very effective.  :D :D

The leaf blower seems like its may be better.....
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

YH,

I think we all find them that way far to often. ::) The leaf blower is environmentally friendly too. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 18, 2019, 08:10:22 AM
Normally, I find their nests by just just waiting until they sting me.  Slightly painful but very effective.  :D :D

The leaf blower seems like its may be better.....
Just like the metal detector on the mill. guaranteed not to miss :)

Thank You Sponsors!