iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Moved my Sawmill today

Started by Magicman, November 08, 2012, 07:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I know, I'm portable so what is unusual about that.  Well when it is unplanned it gets exciting. 

My Son wanted some utility poles flatten on each side so that he could use them to build a retaining wall.  I bucked the first one to 12' and using my end tongs and 20' chain, I hooked it up to the bucket on my old backhoe, Fat Albert.  When I got it to the sawmill, I decided to just lay it on the bed.  I hopped off of Fat Albert, unhooked and stored the end tongs and proceeded to back up.  I was looking back to be sure that I cleared an Oak tree with the backhoe bucket.  When I turned around, my sawmill was following me.   :o

The loop on the chain had caught the log clamp.

And the sawmill was along for a ride.

The wheel skidded about 6' away from the chocks, and the tail end traveled more than 10'.

It took several minutes to pick the sawmill up and set it back where it belonged.  What a fun way to start a morning.

I did get his poles flattened and ready for his retaining wall.   ;D   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

No damage to anything...not even a bruised ego.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

That was very thoughtful of you to load the mill, my only question MM, not being critical at all, please understand this, why don't you get a fork attachment for your bucket?  I have seen your pics and you are always hooking everything,  I can see this for onzies and twozies, but on you numbers, some forks would be real nice,  just saying, you have me beat,  I just get really tired of hooking logs with hooks,   and by the way, I had a guy with an articulatin cat just about flip my 40 once, and , we releveled and ran! I am glad you were able to continue,  Have a good week end Brther.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bill Gaiche

Did you charge him another set-up fee? bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're ego hasn't healed since the weed wackier.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Larry

I got an intermittent backup beeper on the forklift.  It usually works great right after I do something stupid. :D  Why can't it beep before I do something stupid?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Quote from: drobertson on November 08, 2012, 08:12:08 PM
why don't you get a fork attachment for your bucket?

Oh, I take no offense and I understand the question and the reason for it.  I even thought about it several times today when I had to make 9 trips in with the poles and 9 trips out with the sized poles.  Forks would have been a real time saver.  The fact is, I seldom have to move logs and my trailer has sides so I would still have to use my end tongs. 

I almost cleared the yard of logs today, so I am going to do something different tomorrow.  A family is wanting wooden serving trays for a wedding reception.  I gave them a couple of cookie samples a few months ago from a dried 15" Walnut log.  None of them have split so this will be a fun project.

Okrafarmer

Walnut cookies are rather tasty! And another thread turns to food!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Kansas

I will say one thing. When you move a Woodmizer, without the axle on it, be very careful. We tipped the LT70 over twice moving it. Years ago, I tipped the 40 over.

Magicman

I once forgot to raise the side supports and rolled a 16 foot, 26" White Oak off.  When it hit the wheel, it carried the sawmill with it.  Not completely over, but it was not a pretty sight.  :o The tail end was probably over 6' off of the ground.   I did not have a key to the customer's tractor so the helper and I left and went home.  When we got back the next morning, the customer had gotten the log out, so we just leveled the sawmill back up and started sawing.

Forgetting to raise the side supports is a bad thing.   :-\

Okrafarmer

Magic, Fat Albert didn't even know he snagged onto his buddy, he just kept chugging along, didn't he? I sure would like to get one of those Oliver backhoes, too.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

captain_crunch

Bad part of forks is unless they are quite long they are impossible to see thru bucket ::) ::) and chaseing log 100 yards to capture it don't make end hooks  seem so bad ??? ??? ??? Hammer to set end hooks also can save another trip to tractor. I use both but unless I am doing lots of sawing use end hooks Also unless you got dunnage under logs on trailer end hooks work better on trailer.
M_M
Dont feel too bad  ;D ;D ;D my mill is stationary but I have adjusted it a time er two but with Old HD-11 was easy to do

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

Okra, you are correct.  I had no indication that I was "hooked up" until I turned around and saw it following me.   :o

sandhills

That's not a good feeling, trust me I know, just not with a mill in tow.  My dad and I were trying to do a good deed for a neighbor one snowy day when his feed truck got stuck going up a hill (he was pretty much jackknifed), we had a 4010 JD chained to a 1486 IH chained to the semi hauling the feed on a pretty steep hill.  Anyways we got him going and dad apparently got excited enough about it he forgot the 2 tractors were also chained together, he took off to get out of the way and well, my old IH just doesn't go into gear that fast, nothing broke though just wouldn't want to try that ride again  ;D.

Chuck White

Lynn, you turned out better than I thought I did way back when I first started helping my FIL on his LT40 manual mill.

I was putting the logs on the mill with a FEL and logging tongs!

When my FIL unhooked one side of the tongs and tossed it over the top of the log and I raised the loader, one of the hooks was snagged under the stainless steel bed liner.

Well, it looked like it was ruined, but we were able to hammer it flat again.

WHEW !!!!!!!!!!    Sometimes you get lucky!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Okrafarmer

I don't have time any more, but for a while, I used to volunteer at the local tractor pull in Dacusville. It's all antique tractors (pre 1965). Since I didn't have a tractor to pull with, I was often called on to help, and I frequently drove the pull-back tractor, a beat-up, stripped down, oil-stained Massey Ferguson in the 100-hp class, with half its sheet metal missing. I'm not sure the model, 1130 maybe? Anyway, it was one of the second generation MF tractors, with the 1960's style grill. That thing was a beast from Mordor to drive, with all the precision of a worn-out hurricane. Thankfully, the worst thing I ever did was to stall it (they had to jumper and/or hotwire it every time it was started).

They told me that one of the characters who used to be real active in the club, had been on pull-back duty a few years before. A fellow on a John Deere G hooked up to the sled and commenced tearing off down the track with it (probably at a sedate 2-3 mph, since they only allowed first gear pulls).  ::) The pull-back driver shifted the tractor through its multiple transmissions and chased the sled all the way down the track. The pull-back tractor had a locally- engineered cobbled coupler on the 3-point that allowed it to attach to the sled by simply dropping the hitch into a ring on the back of the sled.

The pull-back driver waited until the track watcher waved the flag for the puller to stop trying (digging holes with the tires won't get you anywhere). Then he backed the remaining few feet to the sled, dropped his hitch and hooked up. He was SUPPOSED to wait until he received the all-clear signal from the track watcher, indicating that the pulling tractor had been unchained from the front of the sled. But I guess his mind was on something else, and he just started heading back down the track. Never did  he realize that not only was he pulling the sled, but also he was pulling the antique John Deere G backward by the chain, and he had nearly killed the unhooker man who had stepped in to unhook the chain. The driver of the G managed to keep his seat (being pulled recklessly backward on a tricycle style tractor is rather high on the pucker-factor chart).  ::) People were trying to stop him, but the old Massey Ferguson balrog tractor was so loud, he was oblivious til he got most of the way there.  :-X :-[ >:( He was never asked to help again.  :-[

By the way, he was experienced enough to know better. He was a farmer and owned quite a few tractors which he used regularly.

Thank You Sponsors!