iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

summer creosote buildup

Started by xlogger, June 04, 2014, 06:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I have a CB 5036 and burn a lot of cedar slabs from my mill probably at least 90% of my wood. I know cedar has more creosote than most wood but that's one of the reason I added to boiler to get rid of some of the slabs. During the summer it does built up more than normal creosote. A couple times, some how it made an air leak and ran the temp up too high for a boil over. I was wondering if I let the temp. get real low and built a new fire from time to time so it would get hotter longer would that help? I like burning all summer because we have our hot water and hot tube connect.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

beenthere

QuoteA couple times, some how it made an air leak and ran the temp up too high for a boil over.

Due to creosote buildup? 

If I understand you correct, I'd think some small hot fires would be better.
Rather than trying to maintain high water temps with continual loading where the water is hot and the damper closes off the air supply (then creosote forms as the fire just smolders).
Tough to maintain continuous hot water supply that way, but maybe there is a way you can work it out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trapper

What beenthere has sugested is the way I do it. I have a switch on my damper solenoid and in the summer take the cover off the damper,  When it burns down to coals and no danger of boiling over I turn the solenoid off and and block the damper open.  When the water temp drops below what we want in the house I unblock the damper turn the solenoid on and build a new fire. Dont leave the cover off in the winter. the damper will freeze shut and blow the fuse.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Gearbox

Have you tried to run a big differential as the weather warms I move my set points out as far as 30 degrees .
Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

xlogger

I'm going to let it run out for a couple days and restart to just see how it works burning up the creosote. Let you know how it works or if it helps.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

wheelinguy

Just leave the door open a little bit once a week for a few minutes. I have the next size up, we burn pine all summer for hot water and get creosote build up.  I just crack the door and let it burn the build up, been doing it this way for about 10 yrs now with no problems.

Fifelaker

The cause of the creosote is not the cedar! It is the time it sets there and idles. If the wood is not dry it is worse. I only put a small amount of wood in and let it burn out. 3-4 pieces a day keeps it going. A few years back I had a big plug and it took me awhile to figure out a way to keep it from plugging it up again. I have the 4030 if it matters. I did the let the temp drop to 140° or so then throw in some pine or cedar and let it rip but then I found out that small fires work also. I still let it drop temp. once a month and burn it out with some Pine or cedar.

bigbuckhughes

temp is set too low.  Had my set at 150 for the summer and had the creosote problem.

Thank You Sponsors!