iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

36" White Pine is worth...

Started by QwikDraw, April 05, 2007, 08:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QwikDraw

I am in the middle of clearing a few acres for a new development and have enough 36"+ White Pines that I think would be worth something but have been told they are worth almost nothing.  I Guess the question is what should I expect to get for them?  Or should I be happy if I can get someone to pick them up and just get rid of them?

THX

jackpine

What part of the country are you located in? White pine seems to vary in price more than some other woods depending on the area and local demand.

Gary_C

Yep, they are worthless. Just tell me where I can pick them up and I will haul them away.  :D

Yes, you need to update your profile so we know where you are located. Can't imagine 36" white pine not being worth something.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

QwikDraw

thecfarm

I just had a logger in on my land again,cutting almost all white pine.I've been cutting a little of it myself in the last 15 years.Only had a couple bad years that the price was down.I stopped when the price was low.If you are in CT I would get someone else.That does not sound right.Are the trees straight?How far up is the first limb?I just had a bunch of scrub pine cut.The onces that you can barely get a 8 foot log and than it crotches out 3-5 times and it's all crooked from there on up.The mill was crying for it,off it went.Most times they don't want much of it.The market for white pine in NE was strong.This time of year is hard.Most sawmills have thier ponds full.I would be careful.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don K

I wish I had them. My log house is built from 6 X 12 hand hewn white pine timbers. Good looking wood.        Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

QwikDraw

Thanks for the info.

I will get a second (and maybe third) opinion....

Gary_C

If those white pine are straight and 36" you should find someone from the Timber Framers Guild. I think they are always looking for good straight white pine for timber framed houses. But it all depends on what they look like. Got any pictures?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

QwikDraw

I could get some....

I guess it wouldn't take to many to fill a truck.  I'll take a few pics tomorrow. 

thx,
Ted

Greenedive

White Pine isn't worth cutting here in north-central PA.....unless you have a use for it yourself. I cut some nice stuff for a landowner last Fall...and it was still laying there this Spring...unsold. The virgin timber here was Hemlock and White Pine and that was stripped by the 20s...Beautiful hardwoods came back in and the softwoods remaining are not even figured in the price of a sale. It is a shame.
BUT...it makes beautiful lumber for framing and other parts of the country have a good market for it. Good Luck!

Engineer

Any way you can leave it standing?  I have a bunch of pines that size on my land, and I'm leaving them until I have a use for them.  Probably a TF barn.  There's minimal market for it, especially now that we are getting into April and the mills are probably close to full of softwoods.

Rick Alger

There may be  truckers from northern New England or Canada   delivering  retail lumber near you.  They would probably be interested in back-hauling the pine if it's decent and you can load it.

Ron Wenrich

My experience has always been that white pine is worth a minimum of $100/Mbf on the stump.  After its sawn, then prices can vary. 

I have sold clears for over $1/bf green, mainly in 4/4 and 5/4.  Something that size should have a good portion in clear lumber.

A lot would depend if it is red knot or black knot as to the use for the rest of the lumber.  Red knot is pretty prevalent in New England, while here in the Atlantic states, we get plenty of black knot pine.  The red knot can be used as paneling or cabinet grade.  Those knots stay tight and don't fall out.  Paneling gets sawn at 1x6" and some 1x4".  Tongue and groove after air drying and you're looking at 60-70¢ wood.  Maybe more.

Hearts can be sawn into either timber frame stock.  I have sawn anywhere from an 8x8 to an 8x12, cut real heavy for shrinkage and planing.  That will fetch 80¢.

Cabin stock can be made on logs too small for timber frame stock.  That's for 6x8" stock and that fetches 40-50¢. 

Yep, its worthless.

Guys in the northeast have been thinking hardwoods for so long they can't see any profit in softwoods.  We have one company that stopped trying to knock heads with everyone else and started to take that "junk" softwoods.  That was over 20 years ago.  Here they are now:  http://www.kuhnsbros.com/
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Engineer

I want to add on to what Ron said - find a timber framer who might be interested in it.  I cut a couple of 36" trees for my house, and we pulled four, 24' long, 8" x 8" timbers out of the butt logs of each tree.  Those are free of heart and make up the four main posts in the center two bents of the house.  I wish I had a way to get them, I'd take them off your hands.

One of our members - Raphael - is a timberframer in CT.  Maybe he knows of someone that could look at them and help you out.

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

It must be worth something to someone. Just about every new house that goes up in this part of the world has white pine trim around doors and windows. A lot of interior pine doors to. Hardwood trim is too expensive for most new home owners in my area. $70-80 a planed, kilned plank is pretty pricey isn't it. You can get a pine door for $95.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

Quickdraw - What town in Ct.?  I'm in Kent - Near N.Y. state line, are you close?
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

QwikDraw

Mike, I live in east hartland but the job is in Windsor CT.   Remembered the camera this morning but forgot to take the pictures.  Blew a hydraulic line late in the day.

Ted

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

Ted - I sent you an email but it bounced back - I might know someone who'd be interested - PM me.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

thecfarm

After you sell all the good logs make sure you can get rid of the logs that are #2 and #3.Probaly the timber framers might be willing to pay a better price than select and maybe #1.Most lumber yards don't like to see a bunch of low grade logs come in.They expect to see the good and the bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah some mills give notice that they can reject the load of wood if the logs have been high graded out.

rebocardo

If they are telling it is worthless it may be because

1) of the size of the butt end of the log since many mills, both pulp and lumber, do not want it if it is over 26" because it will not fit on their equipment (been there done that).

I have cut a few up just for that reason into firewood and given it away for free.

2) Not really enough to fill a few trailers

I think if you cut it down to the requested size and had it ready to haul, you could find at least a few people willing to pay up to .10-.20 a foot.

Though in my current situation, I too am finding pine worthless. I can't find any local lumber or pulp mills, or small sawyers to take anything less then a few trailer loads, even if I deliver. Never mind just picking it up for free. I would be happy if I could get paid $0.10 bf instead of cutting all the pine up into firewood and giving it away for free.

Ironwood

Try calling Tuckaway Timber in Lyme, (cant remember Vt. or N.H.) I think NH. THey used to specialize in WIDE stock pine for windor chair bottoms. Google them it should come up. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

burlman

our neighborhood mill here in west Quebec, commonwealth plywood, is paying $650.00/1000. for clear buts over 14 in. tops dwindle down to $275.00/1000. most are selling around here at $400.oo/1000 on the average full tree

thecfarm

In New England White pine is worth some money.The 26 inch factor here in Maine and I suppose the rest of New England only applies to the pulp mills.Most saw mills,big sawmills,not like the ones most of us own on here will take logs to 42 inch.In fact about 15 years ago my father and me was selling pallet pine logs to a sawmill that was taken them as big as we could send them.This is a grade that they cut out the knots and bad places for clear lumber than they dovetail and glue it together for windows and door frames.Some was up to 60 inches,most was 50 inches.They was hiring high school kids to peel them by hand and they would get them in front of the debarker to get them to the saw.Than the following year they redid the mill and they was no way to get around the debaker.Nothing over 42 inches.Good thing we chased all of the big ones down.These are like a scrub pine as they are called here.Lucky to get a 8 foot log before the crotch out 3-5 times.My Father came from the old school and could not believe that they would take them AND pay us for them.We sent them alot of ugly logs.I just had ALOT of White Pine cut over 36 inches.Check out my gallery for pictures.

Ever Green

How long will the logs be...if they are long enough, I'll run up and get them...been thinking about a small timber frame cabin...let me know what your thinking...

Vince
Vince

wiam

Hancock buys at a yard about 5 miles from my place.  I have taken stuff there that was 42" top ends.  I asked their buyer how big was too big.  Answer "If you can get it here it is not too big."  He told me if Hancock could not saw it,  they had buyers for it.

Will

David_c

Plenty of buyers for pine in conn. You should average about $300mbf at least. If it is nice pine call this guy hancock lumber Kevin Finkenaur (Sterlin Mass yard) (207)615-8772 or Ralph Arnold (Greenfeild NH  yard) (603)660-1442

SwampDonkey

That 207 # must be Maine isn't it?

Engineer

I had a realtor offer me some pine today.  He had bought a house and was renovating it for a rental unit, has four pines that need to come down and he told me that he could not find a buyer.  Well I said the market was a bit weak at the immediate moment, but that wasn't the reason.  Apparently the two different guys that he contacted said they would not touch them if within 150 feet of a house - too much metal possible.  So I went and looked.  One pine about 12" dbh but nice and clear, damaged because it was right next to the road and snowplows kept hitting it.  One about 32" dbh and so full of metal you'd think it was an "iron"wood tree.  There were floodlights attached, wiring, a wrought iron plant hanger, and who knows what else.  The other two were about 32" dbh and 42" dbh, beautiful trees, no branches for 25 ft on the 42" one and the 32" one I bet someone with the right equipment could get a 20" square, 40' long beam out of it.  I told him I couldn't offer him much because I had the same concerns, he said that they were coming down anyway and if I could find a way to haul them off, I could have 'em.  He has an arborist coming to drop and buck them, and he said the guy would be in touch with me as to how long he should leave the logs. 

8)  Looks like I got the beginnings of a new barn there.

raycon

QwikDraw I'd be interested in hearing more.  If you're in the eastern part of the state.  I could take in 5mbf at the moment and another 5mbf mid-May.

Lot of stuff..

Dave Shepard

Try finding some small sawmills that do specialty work, like wide plank flooring.

This is a 22" wide flooring board I cut this winter.

Wide pine is our primary market at the moment. Unfortunately you are out of our logtruck range. (If it were up to me, that thing wouldn't leave the yard! :o) If the log is too big, we cut one or two adjacent side with the Alaskan mill, and it is a breeze to saw out then.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

QwikDraw

Thanks for all the replies.  I got shut down by the town because the developer did not have all his paper work in.  I hopefully will be back there next week and get some pictures then.

Sorry to be ignorant but I don't much about selling or marketing timber, as a matter of fact I wouldn't know 5mbf of timber if it hit me in the face...I guess I would know it hurt but that's all.  Do i need to get transportation set up for the timber or do the mills/buyers do that?  How much does a log truck hold (say a tri-axle)?  I'm going to take a stab and say 1mbf =1000 board feet but what constitutes a board foot 12" x 12" x 1"

Thank you,
Ted

Dave Shepard

I would say a typical tri-axle should hold about 4000 board feet of logs. If you want to learn more about log and lumber dimensions go to the red toolbox in the left hand column. You can calculate all sorts of things in there. Example: 36"x12' log has 736 bf. This is using the International scale, which is common here in the Northeast.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

1 board foot = 144 cubic inches, so yes 12"x12"x1" is a board foot.
So is 6"x12"x2".

1mbf = 1,000 board feet.

Thank You Sponsors!