Sponsors:

Texas my Texas, one more time.

Started by Texas Ranger, January 11, 2015, 10:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwstout

home built mill

starmac

Dad gum, I thought all real Texicans moved to Alaska. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: starmac on March 01, 2019, 10:59:19 PM
Dad gum, I thought all real Texicans moved to Alaska. lol
SHHHHH! It's a secret, but they move everywhere. There's a LOT in Colorado, but I have even met some that moved to (can you believe it?) New York and Boston. But keep it under your hat, they do't like that getting out. (kind of like those Texas jokes we all know but don't share in their presence, it's a courtesy.)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Easy now, lets not get the Texans stirred up.  They can be fractious. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

starmac

But I beez a born and bred Texan, just am an Alaskan now. I have nothing against Texas, and it was good to me, I just don't want to live there. I don't mind visiting, in say january give or take a month.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Old Greenhorn

WHoops! Looks like you were right WDH. There seems to be a disturbance in the force down that a way. I truly do Love dearly my family in Texas, but there is no end to my joy into breaking the chops of my cousins who carry that Texas persona. Oh and I do have some great jokes, but looking around, I might get shot here. I'll keep them to myself for now.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

starmac

No problem on my end, most of my kin is in Texas, I just prefer them to come here to visit and those that have do too.
I actually love Texas, just have no plans to ever live there again, mainly because of the weather, the people are great as far as I am concerned.

One thing I am not crazy about, is their lack of public land, I like to get away where I will not see anybody else for a week or more, and that is hard to do in Texas.

bwstout

smiley_horserider we are comming
home built mill

petefrom bearswamp

I am being facetious here.
Just read this thread for the first time.
ALMOST makes me want to move there BUT
Texas is unbearably hot, has hurricanes, drought, floods, Hills, desert like areas, venomous critters etc.
An old girlfriend that lived there briefly told me that Texas is the only place on earth where you can be in mud up to your neck and get dust in your eyes.
Seems to me that most of the people cited as notable Texans no longer live there.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bwstout

Ben here 69 years going to stay ;D
home built mill

starmac

Can't argue any of them points Pete.Texas is a big place and has a lot of different country, something for everybody I reckon.

Well nearly, myself, I am partial to mountains, which it doesn't have.

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Texas Ranger on February 09, 2015, 10:41:59 AM
The Texas Quote of the Day:

""There are places in this world where fable, myth, preconception, love, longing and prejudice step in and so distort a cool, clear appraisal that a kind of high colored magical confusion takes permanent hold...Surely Texas is such a place."

------ John Steinbeck
I'll raise you one. Old John was also fond of Montana:

Texas Ranger

Quote from: starmac on March 05, 2019, 12:21:39 AM
Can't argue any of them points Pete.Texas is a big place and has a lot of different country, something for everybody I reckon.

Try Big Bend, no Atlas Mountains, but not foot hills either.  Called Davis Mountains.

pineywoods

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 05, 2019, 09:05:34 AM

Try Big Bend, no Atlas Mountains, but not foot hills either.  Called Davis Mountains.
10-4 on that. Big Bend like a whole different country...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

I have crossed Texas 30+ times from "stem to stern" and that's not counting the halfway times.  About everything said can be either true or false depending.....  I know for certain that the Sun can and will rise and set on you and you will still be in Texas.  I also know from firsthand experiences that the "Highway Man" will send you to see the "Judge"!!   :o  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 05, 2019, 09:05:34 AM

Try Big Bend, no Atlas Mountains, but not foot hills either.  Called Davis Mountains.
Been there, not my kind of mountains. That is not to say there is not some beauty in them, just not my kind of country.
MM, I could tell you some stories about them highwaymen, and judges too, heck even the jailers. lol

petefrom bearswamp

I was surprised to learn that Texas has a place higher than our Mt Marcy which is just over a mile in elevation.
Guadalupe Peak is 8,751 ft.  
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

crowhill

Texas Ranger you have to know... I have spent a few times wandering around in your beautiful state of Texas, done some fishing, eaten some of the best steaks I've ever had, before I was done I thought I was chewing a full hind quarter, saw more livestock trailers behind one ton pickups with sharp young ladies flying down the highway in one day than I'd see here in Vermont in a year! But one thing, Texas wasn't the only state to have been a Republic. Vermont was a Republic from 1777 - 1791 and too can become a separate country if the voters were to so choose..

But keep the freedoms going down there in Texas because we are losing them in Vermont!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: crowhill on March 06, 2019, 10:51:51 AM
Texas Ranger you have to know... I have spent a few times wandering around in your beautiful state of Texas, done some fishing, eaten some of the best steaks I've ever had, before I was done I thought I was chewing a full hind quarter, saw more livestock trailers behind one ton pickups with sharp young ladies flying down the highway in one day than I'd see here in Vermont in a year! But one thing, Texas wasn't the only state to have been a Republic. Vermont was a Republic from 1777 - 1791 and too can become a separate country if the voters were to so choose..

But keep the freedoms going down there in Texas because we are losing them in Vermont!
My great something or other grandfather was a Green Mountain Boy and enlisted in the 1st Vermont Volunteers, after the war of northern aggression  he moved south, to Missouri, and I kept moving south.  Yup, you can get steak poison from some of the bigger ones.   digin1  By the by, today saw the fall of the Alamo in 1836, start of us.

crowhill

The Green Mountain Boys, some of the best! Not many even close to the likes of them here now..
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

trapper

Texas Ranger I was thinking about you when I drove by last Saturday  Nice country.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Texas Ranger

Quote from: trapper on March 15, 2019, 12:00:38 AM
Texas Ranger I was thinking about you when I drove by last Saturday  Nice country.  
I coulda put the coffee on!

petefrom bearswamp

War of northern aggression?
Depends on your geographical persuasion.
Up here it is the war of southern miscalculation.
Only been to the Fort Worth area so far but would love to spend more time seeing the rest of the state but will probably take more time than I have left on God's green earth.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Texas Ranger

lots of things to see, I have been here over 50 years and still have only seen a small portion of it, some I will never see, age and health and all that.

Thank You Sponsors!