iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 029 chain oil pump replacement

Started by Barneyhunts, June 16, 2015, 02:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barneyhunts

I may have to replace the chain oil pump on my Stihl 029 saw. Does anyone know if it can be removed without removing the crankshaft? I wanted to look at it but couldn't figure out how to remove it due to the discharge line? I had to replace the pickup line & had the clutch off and removed the bolts which hold the pump but couldn't move the pump enough to clear the discharge line. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Barney

ZeroJunk

May need to push the input line off with a small screw driver, or twist it back and forth a little until it slips out. Definitely no need to remove the crankshaft.

Barneyhunts

ZeroJunk,
Thanks for your reply. Actually I had the input line off and both bolts out of the pump. It was the discharge line which I couldn't clear. Unfortunately, I can't remember if I tried to rotate it CCW to clear the discharge line. The line appears to be locked into the pump by a tab on the pump and it probably has to be rotated to clear the tab...after the pump is out of the saw.
Thanks again,
Barney
Ps, I'm running the saw and checking the condition of the bar and chain.

ZeroJunk

You are right, it is the output. But, it just slips in and out. May have to twist it a little to get it to break loose.
It has been a couple of months since I rebuilt one and my memory is not what it used to be, but I am pretty sure the white plastic piece stays with the pump.

luvmexfood

Barneyhunts. Glad you made it. Use the search function up top and search on 029 oil pump. Several post on it and if I remember correctly one contains a pretty good drawing about the whole assembly. Can't remember for sure.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Barneyhunts

Quote from: luvmexfood on June 16, 2015, 09:45:25 PM
Barneyhunts. Glad you made it. Use the search function up top and search on 029 oil pump. Several post on it and if I remember correctly one contains a pretty good drawing about the whole assembly. Can't remember for sure.
Thanks for the "heads up".
Barney

Barneyhunts

Quote from: ZeroJunk on June 16, 2015, 05:55:36 PM
You are right, it is the output. But, it just slips in and out. May have to twist it a little to get it to break loose.
It has been a couple of months since I rebuilt one and my memory is not what it used to be, but I am pretty sure the white plastic piece stays with the pump.

Thanks ZeroJunk! If I have to go back in I'll probably have to replace the pump and I'll try a little harder to get it off.
Barney

Thank You Sponsors!