iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

These will dull a blade and you want even know it.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 07, 2013, 07:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

These pics are of Pine boards and I saw a lot of Pine.
I see this from time to time and what looks like to be nails......well, its not.

When you run your blade through these in a cant, you want even know it......but it will sure dull a blade.
It looks like nails and when you look at them close.....they even shine like the head of a nail.......but your metal detector will never pick them up.

These particular objects are small pieces of Quartz Rock. These were yard trees. I sawed 2 butt logs from this yard, hit 7 nails and saw a lot of rock embedded into the lumber.

My guess is the rocks came from a lawn mower throwing pieces of rock when these trees were small.
I went to see these trees before they were sawn down and saw the yard they came from.
I was expecting EXACTLY what I got when I started to mill these 2 butt logs.......nails and rocks.  :D
A lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Just wanted to show these pics to some of you that may not have ever experienced this.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rmack

I guess those would really reign havoc with a planer. :o

good thing they are easy to see on the surface, I worry about rocks that get stuck to the lumber during handling causing trouble for the guy with the planer/moulder.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Tim Lea

Man they do look like a nail in the pics. I have found a rock imbedded in a log but it was a lot bigger. About the size of a marble.

Dave Shepard

I found a rock in my slab pile with my chainsaw the other night, does that count? :D

I've never sawed through a rock on the mill. Just metal, and some ceramic insulators. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Delawhere Jack

How far up the butt log... Let me re-phrase that. How high off the ground were these rocks when the tree was standing? I find it a little hard to believe that pieces that small would penetrate the bark enough to get embedded, seems it would require them being fired from a shotgun more that hit by a lawnmower.

Any chance that they somehow became imbedded in bug holes?

scully

Looks like .22cal bullits I sawed a log that had a bunch . Yeh I'm the one who put em there ....
I bleed orange  .

Left Coast Chris

Great pics and reminder.  Maybe cutting the butt log a little higher off the ground would have avoided them?  That way you won't get stoned.  ::)

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Delawhere Jack

Sawed 22's before, but they didn't leave any staining in the wood like in the pictures.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on November 07, 2013, 08:32:39 PM
How far up the butt log... Let me re-phrase that. How high off the ground were these rocks when the tree was standing? I find it a little hard to believe that pieces that small would penetrate the bark enough to get embedded, seems it would require them being fired from a shotgun more that hit by a lawnmower.

Any chance that they somehow became imbedded in bug holes?

Jack.....if you remember, I said "my guess'. The rock were about 3-4- foot up the log. Its not uncommon for rock to get into the bark and the tree continue to keep growing around it until one day......well.....the pics show it.
Member "TEE" saw some of these tiny rocks in pine boards last week when he came by to help me. I saw the yard where these logs came from and how short the homeowner cut his grass/dirt.  :D

Tee

I saw something similar in a piece I was sawing right after I got back from your place. Let me tell you something that crossed my mind not knowing what it is; a small pocket of pure resign that may have formed around some small wound, almost in a "crystallized" form.
      If I run into any more of them I'm going to take the time to get a sharp pointed something and get some out. If you get some out, see if it burns and if so if anything is left such a a piece of rock. I wasn't able to see anything as obvious as your pics show of rock or what ever it was.

Chuck White

I've never seen stones "in" the wood, only stuck in the bark!

No choice there, just saw and see what happens!

Good luck if you have a bunch of them.  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Tee on November 07, 2013, 09:18:24 PM
      I saw something similar in a piece I was sawing right after I got back from your place. Let me tell you something that crossed my mind not knowing what it is; a small pocket of pure resign that may have formed around some small wound, almost in a "crystallized" form.
      If I run into any more of them I'm going to take the time to get a sharp pointed something and get some out. If you get some out, see if it burns and if so if anything is left such a a piece of rock.

You could be right Tee. I took a piece out today and hit it with the hammer on my anvil......looked that Quartz Rock. But I'm no scientist.
I will try your idea tomorrow and if I keep it on my mind, I have been known to go to the mill in the middle of the night just to cure my curiosity.  :D
What's really curious is the way the tree darkened around it like it is a foreign object like metal.

WmFritz

David, them pine boards might be worth more then ya thinks. Sometimes quartz contains gold.

You may wanna sift your sawdust pile for gold-dust.   ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

drobertson

Looks like steel shot, or maybe an asteroid hit?  there is carbon present for sure,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Deese

Oh my gosh I should have been taking pics of what I've been cutting, as I have some similar stuff that gave me fits...
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loggah

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

JJ

If it is rock salt, then it should desolve in hot water.

I cut down big dead hemlock in my yard, and find ton of bullets, all different cal.  Some 22, some jacketed high power slugs, and some 44 mag, and steel bb's.

Was done by prev landowner, before houses build up around, who must have used the tree as target from front porch.  Wonder if the copper jackets is what killed the tree?

JJ

Brucer

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 07, 2013, 08:20:15 PM
... I've never sawed through a rock on the mill. ...

Well you can't, so don't bother trying :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

stumpjumper83

From the pic the "rocks" look to be all the same or very similar in size, and uniform in shape.

What is the chance that your dealing with tungsten carbide bird shot?

Left Coast Chris

Bird shot would make more sense.  The chances of multiple pieces of rock of about the same size in a single board are almost nill.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SPIKER

Quote from: stumpjumper83 on November 09, 2013, 06:39:22 AM
From the pic the "rocks" look to be all the same or very similar in size, and uniform in shape.

What is the chance that your dealing with tungsten carbide bird shot?

Dont think the saw blade would make it thru any carbide material that is just a few steps below diamond in hardness...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Ianab

Carbide will shatter and break up. But it wont do your saw blade any favours while it's doing it  :D More like mutual destruction  >:(

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

MikeInTexas

The first sawing job i did on my new Norwood HD36 was on some matt timbers, heavy equipment matts.
They have been down in the dirt, mud, driven on, and were they hard on blades. Good thing i got a sharpener with my saw, going to need it.

Mike

Magicman

I will not saw crane/heavy equipment mats.  No way.

Poston's "problem" that started this topic was only pitch/resin pockets.  I have also done a double take after sawing through them but the problem is in looks only.  They are not hard.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!