iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant hook vs. Peavey

Started by Ljohnsaw, November 09, 2012, 12:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Until reading about cant hooks, the high praise for Logrite, I didn't know there was two different but very similar tools - Cant hook and Log Peavey.  I see the difference in the point end and understand how the cant hook would grab a log to make turning/rolling go easier.  So what do you do with the pointed end peavey?

I bought a super stout, old (1862) hook portion of a cant hook/peavey and plan to make a handle and a new end.  I'm thinking the end will be the side-hook type I see on a cant hook.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I have never used one...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ljohnsaw

OK, thanks for the link.  Seems like the cant hook is a bit more useful.  What if it had both a sideways hook/point and a short point on the end?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Chuck White

I like the idea of the peavey because it is a very handy tool to separate logs that are frozen together.

It's also handy because you don't have to bend over to pick it up, just stick the point in the ground!

I have one peavey and 3 cant hooks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

I don't think you can have too many cant hooks or peaveys.If you have a manual bandmill you will need longer handles than say a circular sawyer or a bandie with hydraulics.Logrite is top of the line but I don't walk past a deal on a regular one for a few bucks at a flea market.Ether one can do the outhers job but a cant hook is more handy for cants. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

The Logrite website also gives a good description of peaveys and cant hooks.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

The point is handy to pry a log away from another.If you do make a wooden handle,don't give the handle a quick jerk when using it. That will snap the handle right off. I can still hear my Father tell me that. A steady lift works wonders.He used one for years. He use to load trucks with a wooden handle one. A few loads each winter. I still have 2 of my Fathers and have one on the sawmill. I have no idea about the double ended,cant-peavey. I think one end would get in the way of the other one. I still have about 6 of the half round hooks hung up in the old farm house. He would take them off when they started not to grab good and replace them with another. He would take the old ones to a black smith and have them re-bent,for no better word. Try them both,you may like one better than the other.
Bandmiller,I would like to find one for a few bucks. I don't really need 3,but that's a bargain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

"C",thats probibly the only advantage living down here with the flatlanders they don't know what this stuff is for and almost give it away.Would be hard to find someone in rural Maine that didn't know what a peavey was for. Frank C.

Too Big To Fail

I bought a peavy manufactured by the peavy company.  I liked that the company that "invented" it was still in business and it was what was on offer at my local place when I needed something in a pinch.  I found the spike just got in the way and the log would pin the whole thing against the log beneath it if it rolled a bit too far, which it always seemed to.  So I cut it off and welded it back on at a right angle to make a cant hook.  I also find the angle of the hook pretty poor.  It doesn't grab without a good kick most of the time, which I find odd since they've been making them for 150 years or some such.  You'd think they would have figured out proper angles by now. 

Dan_Shade

Logrite has figured out the hook angle, that's one reason their tools are so good
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

terrifictimbersllc

I agree Logrites are special, but don't compare one with another peavey/cant hook that hasn't been sharpened.  I filed the points on my two the other week and what a difference. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

None of the DanGed tools seem to have a big enough hook,seems I'am always scratching to get a bite on big logs.A bigger hook with a spring to push the hook tords the point,then it would operate like a ratchet one hand operation. Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 10, 2012, 08:14:50 AM
I'am always scratching to get a bite on big logs.   

I also scratched until I got Logrites.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I hear you guys say that alot about your peaveys and cant dog. Must be a Southern thing.  ;D  I used one with my Father and as I said I have 2 of the ones he used. They work good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on November 10, 2012, 08:45:06 AMMust be a Southern thing.  ;D

No, I do not think so. 

If the hook is arched properly any of them will work.  Of all of the old wooden and pipe handled peaveys and cant hooks that I have, only one is arched properly.  I am sure that the others could be heated and bent to improve their "hooking" ability.

I did not realize the difference until I won the 60" Logrite Cant Hook at a Pig Roast.  It did not take me very long before I ordered two 48" Logrite Cant Hooks.  Now I am a "Happy Hooker".   :o   :D

Jeff

Invariably, when guys are praising the old wooden handled tools instead of a logrite, it is because they don't have one and have not worked with one.  Anyone that owns both, or has worked with both, knows what a difference there is and how much better the logrite is.

I'm certainly not saying that the old wooden handled style tools arn't useful, and if that what you have, and you are satisfied, that's great, I'm just saying, once you go logrite, you don't go back. :)

I also think, if you are going to buy a new tool, and you look at the wooden handled models, and the logrites, and you choose a wooden one based on the difference in price, you've done a great disservice to yourself in the value department.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bandmill Bandit

I inherited an old 48 Inch wood handled Peavy in good shape that I still use occasionally but only because I haven't picked up a Logrite 48 inch so far. I have the little 36 inch logrite cant hook and I love that little guy. Will be interesting to see how much I use a 48inch log rite when I do get one. That little 36 is so convenient around the mill. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Dan_Shade

my preference are the logrite 60" tools.  I have two 60" peaveys, and a 60" cant hook   I like the peaveys because I can stab them in the ground, and it saves me from bending over to pick it up.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bandmiller2

I use boath and the Logrites do bite better.I use the sawyers special but you can't leave them laying around.No one ever seems to bother the old wood handle ones I leave around the mill. Frank C.

thecfarm

I keep looking at those Logrites. I know they work good. Every ones says they do. But with what little I use mine,that wooden handle one will have to do for now. Like I said the 2 I have work good. I've been around at least 4 of them and they all worked good the way I was told to use them and the way I do use them. Someday I'll have a Logrite peavey.

5quarter

I have a 60" steel cant hook that I made and a 48" logrite (Stihl) cant Hook I got for my birthday. They both work very well. I use the 48" for the usual stuff around the mill, but when I'm working with big wood, I reach for the steel. it's heavier, but I sometimes use tools in ways other than they were intended. for example, who hasn't occasionally hammered their cant hook into a 44" log, hooked a chain to the handle on one end and to his truck on the other and rolled the log up on some blocking. or hook a large oak tree hung up after cutting and give the whole tree a twist to bring it down?  ;D ;D If I wreck a tool, I'd rather it not be my birthday present.
   I don't use peaveys, so I can't really comment on them. cant hooks do everything I need them to do and then some.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

steamsawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 10, 2012, 08:53:20 PM
No one ever seems to bother the old wood handle ones I leave around the mill. Frank C.

I learned in grade school, never carry a good pocket knife. Carry a piece of junk and you will always get it back if you loan it out. A nice new one always for gets to come home.   :D

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

bandmiller2

I was a truck mechanic all my life and would buy the old black finish wrenches the crows would never carry them off.Pretty shiny tools, I would spray with paint til the looked ugly. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!