iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting places where trees end up

Started by Tom, November 27, 2002, 06:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Bro. Noble

Tom,

Thats really interesting, You come up with the neatest websites.  I'm gonna start a new thread to find out everyone's neatest website.

As far a wood ending up in interesting places,  There's a big redwood log at a park on the north side of Peoria.  It's been there for at least 35 years that I know of.  Wonder how it got there?  Wonder if it will always stay there?

Perry,
Did you check into 'borrowing' that big Cat loader?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

You mean this log that Whitepe took a picture of?  The one that you carved your initials in 45 years ago? :D

Tom

I have been in this house before and it is worth viewing if you ever come upon it.
 What a log house?

Noble_Ma

I went in one of those log homes years ago. Talk about bringing back old memories!  I'd imagine there must be a couple of those throughout the country.

Bro. Noble

Tom,

That's the one.  It was about 45 years ago.  Man someone is getting aged.  Wonder how a guy would hide a log like that if he had one he didn't want anyone to know about?

I was in a log house in Ca. (Sequoia Park I think).  I believe that John Muir lived in it for a while.

Rick,

How much can your pickup haul?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Gordon

Cool site Tom. Here is a site for home building using what you have close at hand.

GREENHOMEBUILDING

Gordon

Tom

Jeff

That one will be hard to be. Great link Tom.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Gordon

Jeff

The Yooper Dome

I wish I had some pictures of the beam structure in here. Absolutely amazing. I have been there twicw for games and both times I miss stuff on the field cause I am staring at the structure!

Tom

Out of wood?  Holy Cow, who did the engineering for that thing?  You wouldn't have thought they would have even considered wood for a project like that, would you. (I was tempted to make a joke out of that last sentence but it wood(?) have been pretty lame.

What have we got lhere,  a Yooper Dome and a Yooper Dam back to back?

Jeff

The Building

Opened September 14, 1991
World's largest wooden dome
5.1 acres under one roof
Height equal to a 14-story building
Constructed of 781 Douglas fir beams and
108.5 miles of fir decking
Permanent seating capacity:  8,000
Building Capacity:  16,000

The beams are engineered laminents. They were left natural to show all the grain. The place is simply amazing. Massive arches, just something you gotta see to appreciate

The day I was there someone repelled down from the roof with the game ball to start the game. Ultrakewl!

Gordon

Now that is a dome!

On a different note do you guys and gals that saw ever wonder if it's wood that you have sawn that is in the structure that your looking at?

You guys by far have the best links!
I bow to you gracefully. ;D

See ya
Gordon

Jeff

Was this a competition? Oh boy. I may have to start thinkin! ;D Come on link boy don't give up that easy! :)

Jeff

Beatcha Gordo ;D

A travelling salesman drove past a farm one day and noticed a pig with one wooden leg. He didn't think much of it until a week later, driving by the same farm, the pig had two wooden legs. The third week, the pig had three wooden legs, and finally, after seeing the pig the fourth week with four wooden legs, he had to stop to inquire about it.

He tracked down the farmer and asked him about the strange sight. The farmer told him, "Well, that's the greatest pig alive. About a month ago, he saved my wife and kids and me from our burning house by waking us up in the middle of the night just in time to escape without any harm!"

The salesman continue to prod the farmer about the pig's wooden legs. "Well," the farmer replied, "this pig is just like one of the family. He's a really great pig. A couple of weeks ago, our youngest boy fell in the creek, and this truly wonderful pig fished him out just in time to save him from drowning! He's one really great pig!"

The salesman, starting to lose his patience, again inquired about the wooden legs, to which the farmer replied, "Last week, I fell off my horse and my foot got caught up in the stirrup. This great pig ran along side of the horse and me and untangled me and truly saved my life. What a great pig - the greatest pig in the world!!"

Losing his patience, the salesman finally shouted, "All right already, That's enough! He's a really great pig - a REALLY great pig! But what about his wooden legs?!"

To which the farmer replied, "Well now, a great pig like that - you don't eat him all at once!"

Rick Shabsin, Rochester, MN

Jeff

Jeff

Sometimes Nature makes its own thing from a tree. In this case pure artistry.

http://www.yukontrails.com/alsek/img0067.htm

Be sure to look at the other photos at this site. Pretty spectacular scenery.

Gordon

Yup you sure did cuz I'm just warming up. :)

FOOTBRIDGE

Gordon

Gordon

Link boy is warming up now. 8) 8) 8)

I never would have thought this

CLOTHES FROM WOOD

Splinters is what first comes to mind doesn't it.???

Gordon

Tom

I found more information by following the term lyocell.  Here is a quote form an article that I found by searching lyocell in Google.

"Lyocell is a manufactured fiber, but it is not synthetic. It is made from wood pulp harvested from tree farms for this purpose. Because it is made from a plant material, it is cellulosic and possesses many properties of other cellulose fibers, such as cotton, linen, ramie, and rayon - another manufactured but non-synthetic fiber."

I think it will be fun to persue this and find out exactly what the stuff is.
 :P

Gordon

Just think pretty soon instead of leaves on the trees there will be shirts, skirts and pants just ready to be picked and worn.

But yes it would be interesting to look into this one and see just what makes it work so well.

Gordon

Tom

And then Howard Hughes put trees into the biggest plane ever built. Check out he picture and history links on the right side of the page.
http://www.sprucegoose.org/

Did you know it still holds the "Largest Plane to ever fly" record?
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/gustin_military/bigyear.html

Thank You Sponsors!