iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Braggin board

Started by urbanlumberinc, December 13, 2006, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbanlumberinc

I thought it might be neat to start a bragin board of sorts to post pics of big, highly figured, or exotic and unusual logs that members are sawing.  I'll start it witht this Honeylocust I got my hands on this week.

urbanlumberinc

The log was 24"dbhx14' long.  Had to use the grapple to let it down easy to avoid crushing the neighbors sidewalk

Kelvin

Wow! and the best part is that if it was you taking it down you were paid a good sum to have that log!  Imagine us suckers that pay people to go cut their logs!
Lucky!
KP

Corley5

Cool pictures :)  Holding a log in a grapple in that manner close to breakables and people is SUPER DANGEROUS
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logwalker

Getting out of bed in the morning is dangerous too. Are we supposed to stay in bed all day?  Life is a risk. Use your head and keep civilians out of the way.  ;)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Daren

Quote from: urbanlumberinc on December 13, 2006, 07:59:41 PM
I'll start it witht this Honeylocust I got my hands on this week.

That's as good a place to start as any, honey locust is one of my favorite woods. They can have odd punky spots in them right smack in the middle of a nice board  :(, but it looks like from the mill shot it was pretty sound.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rebocardo

Ianab

Well this is the log I've got on the ground at the moment, I think it's bragworthy too ;)

It's about 11'6" long, and 43" at the small end (52" at the big end) and looks like it's all solid and mostly clear timber in there.  :) It's Monterrey cypress, which is pretty common here, and does grow a lot bigger, but this is a particularly nice log.

Hopefully I can get the saw into it on Saturday and show you whats inside  8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Corley5

Quote from: logwalker on December 13, 2006, 10:02:16 PM
Getting out of bed in the morning is dangerous too. Are we supposed to stay in bed all day?  Life is a risk. Use your head and keep civilians out of the way.  ;)

That said why make it even more dangerous ??? :)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ironwood

This is a whopper of a walnut, the base is 30" (without bark) and the length is 13'. The thickness is 3 1/2". Each slab weighs several hundred pounds. This was salvaged from a WALLY WORLD construction site. They leveled the trees all except for this one OLD, nice walnut and I thought "finally some sanity in a crazy world" then a week later the DA%M thing was down, SOB's. Fortunately, I was able to buy it and at least save the beautiful wood.  It was right on a REALLY nice farm with a stone house and nice barn, and they are butting the WALLY WORLD right up to the new property line just feet from the house and barn. It was probably the nicest farm/ house I have ever seen (circa 1840-60's maybe earlier). Ahhh progress.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

4woody

Sprucegum

What's all that crayon work for? What do the letters mean? Why you doin' that, eh?

logwalker

Beeeutiful boards. At the moment I would give you the braggin' rights Reid. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Burlkraft

WOW...Thaose are some dandy slabs, Reid   ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

woodmills1

just pine, but 2 nice butt logs  26"tops, showing no flaws on the outside, thought the one shows some on the top cut.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Fla._Deadheader

Pilon

Last photo shows a full grown man standing near the logs.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dave Shepard

You can't say wally world and progress in the same paragraph, it's an oxymoron.

Where is that pilon being cut, I have never seen wood like that?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

crtreedude

Costa Rica and that is my wife's tree - unless people want to be damaged, KEEP YOUR PAWS OFF IT! (not damaged by me, but her...  :o )

We bought the whole tree for the house we are building.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ironwood

Blue marks are for dimensions, and slab #s for inventory. They are supposed to be yellow. I ran out of yellow crayon.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

kderby

Wow this is fun! 8) 8) 8)

Ianab, is the Monterey cyprus like redwood?  What does it get used for?

FDH pilon....Not much like that in Oregon! ;D

Wood Mills, I still have the genuine love of pine :-*  :-*:-*.  The others are interesting but pine has my heart.  Thanks for the pictures.

I am excited to present a braggin log when I get one ::) ::) ::)!

KD

Ianab

QuoteIanab, is the Monterey cyprus like redwood?  What does it get used for?

The Monterey cyress (Macrocarpa) is probably more like your swamp or bald cypress.
The wood is denser than redwood and a nice honey colour and durable. It gets used for furniture, panelling, outdoor furniture, fence boards and garden landscaping timbers.

This post shows building a big desk out of it.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=20323.0

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jack

Hey Urban,
Nice Stick of pretty.   Whatcha pinchin it with?  whats it mounted to?

one day i will take the time ot learn how to post to this board....I have some pretties to show ya too.

Is that a NEW LUCAS?   mighty brite lookin stickers on it....have fun
Dirtdoctor
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

urbanlumberinc

Yesiree that is a spankin new Lucas.  I've put about 30 hours on it so far, sawing up the bigest stuff I can find.  The truck is an old F800 with a Prentice boom and grapple that belongs to a couple of friends of mine that run a tree service.  The loader has outlived the 3 trucks that at one time or another resided under it. ;D

LeeB

Harold, do yo saw the butt too? Looks like a lot of wood in it also. How well does the pilon hold that color? Really pretty stuff and man what a log. How many bf will that tree yeild? LeeB ???
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

LeeB, we plan on sawing the whole tree. Table slabs will come from the shorter section with the limb crotches. I need to cut a long crown root type growth, off the upper side of the Butt log. Then, I want to leave as much of the stump as possible, and saw the log. Might get some more pretty grainy stuff.

There have already been 30 or so bench seat cookies taken from the limbs.

I am not familiar with how the wood holds it's color. It is a very dark red, so, might finish out real dark ?? Have some short pieces from the outside cuts drying here at the house. It got a LOT lighter in weight since I brought it home 4-5 weeks ago. Need to run these pieces through the planer and see what they look like.

I heard there should be around 4000 bd/ft total ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!