iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arky has a web site

Started by kderby, June 08, 2007, 11:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

I might be slow to catch on, but I just saw a hint of a web page and so I searched for it:

www.Arkansawyer.net

Got it!

I have been watching Arky move his business forward.  He seems like a big brother to me.  I have the same issues while trying to make a business happen from scratch.

There are very few people who can make a living with a portable mill.  I certainly would not suggest promoting that fantasy, as some companies do.  The lessons on log aquisition, lumber processing and small business in general are all loaded with gut wrenching challenge.  I am into my process for well over a hundred thousand dollars in time and equipment and inventory.  I have a good niche market and a realistic business plan.  I still hope to find daylight at the end of this tunnel.  Example: The local business development group offered to help get me a loan if I could demonstrate purchase orders.  Where do I find customers willing to issue large (truckload) purchase orders when I can not demonstrate that I have the facilities to process large orders (truckload amount of lumber inventory to specifications and ready to load).  As I build inventory to create a truckload and demonstrate the capacity / quality I produce, the inventory eats up all my cash.  I sure am proud of our efforts but the crew won't take boards home as salary.   

So here is to Arky for being a few steps ahead of me and sharing his experience.  I can't imagine him not "making it", but I know the obstacles all to well.

SALUTE   8) 8) 8)

dewwood

Checked out his site and it is well done.  I know Arky will prevail in his quest for having his production mill and peripheral equipment.  I wish him the best! 8) 8) 8)
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

OneWithWood

Checked it out probably the same time Dewey did.  I like what he is doing with it.  I have no doubt Arky will succeed  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jpgreen

I Like his LT40 canopy.  I need to rig one of those..  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

woodmills1

hello                    still here

not retiring soon :D   but still payin bills

btw 2005 dump 2006 toyota  2006 blue ox  1993 woodmizer pricless ;D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

Quote from: kderby on June 08, 2007, 11:30:49 AM
I might be slow to catch on, but I just saw a hint of a web page and so I searched for it:

Arkansawyer.net

Got it!

I have been watching Arky move his business forward.  He seems like a big brother to me.  I have the same issues while trying to make a business happen from scratch.

There are very few people who can make a living with a portable mill.  I certainly would not suggest promoting that fantasy, as some companies do.  The lessons on log aquisition, lumber processing and small business in general are all loaded with gut wrenching challenge.  I am into my process for well over a hundred thousand dollars in time and equipment and inventory.  I have a good niche market and a realistic business plan.  I still hope to find daylight at the end of this tunnel.  Example: The local business development group offered to help get me a loan if I could demonstrate purchase orders.  Where do I find customers willing to issue large (truckload) purchase orders when I can not demonstrate that I have the facilities to process large orders (truckload amount of lumber inventory to specifications and ready to load).  As I build inventory to create a truckload and demonstrate the capacity / quality I produce, the inventory eats up all my cash.  I sure am proud of our efforts but the crew won't take boards home as salary.   

So here is to Arky for being a few steps ahead of me and sharing his experience.  I can't imagine him not "making it", but I know the obstacles all to well.

SALUTE   8) 8) 8)

Arky's had a web site for at least a couple of years.  It was off-line now and then when something crashed.  Looks like he's got it up again and has updated it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LeeB

It needs some more updating. It doesn't show Wanda's new house. She don't live under a tarp no more.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Yea Arky has had a website in some form or another for a long long time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Quote from: LeeB on June 08, 2007, 09:51:28 PM
It needs some more updating. It doesn't show Wanda's new house. She don't live under a tarp no more.

Here's what Wanda's new home looked like in February of 2007.  Arky is sawing while James is packin' them out.

What you can't see from this picture is the canyon that's only feet away from the back side of the building.   It'll take Wanda a thousand years to fill up that hole!
Sawing since '94

Furby

More so when it's all blowing back out of the canyon faster then in.
Thought Arky was nuts when we showed up there back in Feb. and couldn't see anything due to all the dust blowing at us. ::)

jpgreen

Awesome sawshed Arky. Anyone know the post and beam dimensions?..  8)

ARKANSAWYER

GOSH! you guys.
  Yes, I have had a web site for a few years now.  Bibbyman did my very first one and JeffB had it tagged onto to the FF somewhere.  Then I bought the name www.arkansawyer.net for my very own.  I had to take it down a few times as sales were to great and phone calls were driving me nuts.  I have a sexytary now and she can handle them.   She is starting to update it and show the progress we are making.  This thing is growing in leaps and bounds right now.  If I do not starve to death in the next month I should have it whupped.  If any of you wish to invest in a growing business just drop your coin in the hat.  You will be part owners in business that would make your Pa proud.
  UP DATE
  I now have on the place waiting for 3ph power to be hooked up;
  WoodMizer  LT70E
  WoodMizer Edger E
  Morgan Mini Scragg mill
  Baker (YEP you heard it right Baker)   ABX resaw.
  We are building a 24 x 144 ft sawshed right now and a 24 x 36 machine shed.

Wandas house is in the Timber Framing section with more photos and specs.

Alot of what has been done has come from the good advice and knowledge I have gained from my brothers and sisters here on FF.  That is what this site is about and does the best.  And I would like to take this oppertunity to Thank the makers of Grits!  It is what gets me going in the morning. ;D 

ARKANSAWYER

KarenKae

kderby,
This is Karen and I am Arkansawyer's new secretary and web writer.  Like the physical mill, we have been working hard to update, upgrade and improve the website's performance.
Arky asked that I request that any who might be interested, please go by and work through the site with an eye to any improvements I can make.  Moreover, any page that is not clear or does not convey the intended message, I would very much appreciate your input, as I am new to the sawmill industry, having a background in sales and marketing.
I will be posting new pictures and more interactive portions in the pages in the weeks to come and would greatly appreciate a critique of my current offering (good and bad as you can't fix what you don't know is broken).
Thank you in advance of all your help and insights.
Sincerely,
Karen Kae

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum. 

Arky needs a lot of help.  Not just with his web site!  ;D
Sawing since '94

Haytrader

::)

Bib........yer just sayin that cause it's true.

;D ;D

Welcome Karen Kae
Haytrader

jpgreen

Welcome to the forum Karen Kae...8) 8) 8)

We normally get old crusty sawdust types round' here..  ;D

Did I type slow enough being from California and all?..  :D

fishman

anyone who has a chance should look at this operation, 1st class all the way, both the mill and the people

kderby

Karen Kae,

Does this mean you get paid to read Forestry Forum at Work!  Wow, I am gonna have to talk to my boss. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'll be happy to offer advice...If you see Arky walking in small circles and muttering......walk up, slap him and tell him to focus!  Remind him the sun will come up tomorrow and we are here rooting for him!!!  Oh, and always talk nice about Wanda. :D

Welcome to the Forum

Kendall

Faron

Karen Kae, the only suggestion I have is to box his ears immediately reference post 11 above.
Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on June 10, 2007, 04:43:30 PM

I have a sexytary now

Ya might as well get him started on the right foot.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Bibbyman

Karen,  has Arky got around to putting a front on your office yet?

Here is a picture of Karen's office (to the far left) and furniture showroom. 

Sawing since '94

jpgreen

Furby

Don't know when that pic was taken Bibby, but there wasn't any fron on the office when we were there in Feb. ;D

fishman

i was there monday, the 16th, she has a door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, the outhouse , now thats a different story,   ;D

Furby

KarenKae

HI to ALL L  :)
Now ... don't be to hard on the ol' Arky.. he didn't mean no harm by "sexytary"... it is that he cannot SPELL secretary.. which is Why HE NEEDED one!!!.

Yep.. got door on office.  Yep.. get to read FF all day and GET paid for it.  Yep.. the  out house IS a different story.. not bad unless the WIND is blowing.. then. COULD be a floor show!!

Yep.. thank you for typing slowly, I could read all message just fine.  Now, you think I'm kidding, but I am not from here.  When I first came here.. no one would talk to me.  Come to find out.. they cannot hear you when you talk too fast.  sooo.. I learned to talk very carefully and slowly so they can understand me.. I figure the same thing applies to typing.

Most of the problems we have been having have been solved. Now.. if the weather would remain stable.. hot is OK.. RAIN is not.. we can get ALL the orders delivered and COLLECT the money!  THEN we'll be sitting pretty.

Thank you for all the welcoming comments.  Did everyone like the website and did you enjoy seeing David running the scrag mill?  That is the first of the animations on the site.

Let me know if anyone needs help in Cyber world and if I can answer a question, I will.

Karen

Thank You Sponsors!