iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Aquatic Mammal Discovered in WV Lakes and River systems

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 25, 2019, 10:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Moose ain't got nothing on our WV whitetails when it comes to feeding on submerged vegetation. Plus it is hard for biting flies and such to reach their belly. I have seen this before but first time I had a photographer along to record it. I spotted her a quarter mile off and slowed the motor to an idle speed and eased in on her. She was used to hearing boats along the lake and we weren't making any side to side movements so she was not alarmed that the strange object just seemed to keep getting bigger till we were within about bow range of her then she remembered she had business elsewhere. It was nearly noon and Becky did not like the harsh light but I am happy with the record of the event.

We were mostly cruising for pictures of birds and animals and saw and photographed several bald eagles of various ages, several ospreys including a couple that whistled at us,  blue, white and little green herons feeding in the shallow water, lots of geese, ducks, etc. We saw a couple of kingfishers but they are hard to get a decent picture of them. We spotted several fawns on the shore and one on an island point.  Fishing was not great and we quickly abandoned that and just returned to touring and photographing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hilltop366

I see your doe and raise you 2 bucks. ;D

I saw these last week across the river, they were kind enough to hang around long enough to go back up to the camp to get my camera and take a few pictures.

Roxie

That photo of the deer breaching the water is so good, you can almost feel the spray hitting your face.   Love it! 
Say when

WV Sawmiller

Thanks Roxie. I like that one but my favorite is where she has her entire face under water.

I got up this morning to go finish a small mobile job and looked out the back window and between my yard and pasture fence was a deer convention. One old doe, a couple of yearlings and 2 fawns. A couple jumped the back gate while I watched. Sampson never said a word - I guess as long as they stay out of his yard he has no issues with them. I'd also bet that old doe with the fawns would send his little 13 lb butt packing plenty quick if he got near them. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Scott

~Ron

petefrom bearswamp

Nice pics but boo hiss
I thought I was going to see a WV by God Sasquatch
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Oh phooey it is West by God Virginia to be more precise 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

You sure do get some nice pictures. I suppose there are deer on my land. Was seeing 3 in the field. Have not seen any for a month now. And I am outside early morning and through out the day and just before dark too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!