iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This Years Pumpkins

Started by David Freed, October 30, 2016, 06:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Freed

I've been growing mini pumpkins for a few years. This year I planted them after harvesting my sweet corn, so they got a late start.

The wet weather we had this year caused them to get powdery mildew, and because I was busy with work, I was a little slow treating it. I sprayed them with a vinegar and water mix which stopped the mildew, and stopped its growth for a couple weeks, but also caused some unexpected results.

Before spraying, I had orange pumpkins. After spraying, I had yellow pumpkins.

I picked everything today and found some pretty small ones.

coxy

going to take a lot of those for a pie  ;D

gspren

They look like Jack-B-Littles which are actually a gourd that looks like a pumpkin but no good for eating.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

David Freed

Quote from: coxy on October 30, 2016, 07:39:26 AM
Their not for pies. You just pop them in your mouth like popcorn.  popcorn_smiley

I'll send you one if you'll try it.  ;D

Quote from: gspren on October 30, 2016, 03:22:06 PM
  They look like Jack-B-Littles which are actually a gourd that looks like a pumpkin but no good for eating.
Yes, that's what they are.

thecfarm

Lemon Pledge will put a good shine on them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: David Freed on October 30, 2016, 04:07:11 PM
Quote from: coxy on October 30, 2016, 07:39:26 AM
Their not for pies. You just pop them in your mouth like popcorn.  popcorn_smiley

I'll send you one if you'll try it.  ;D

Quote from: gspren on October 30, 2016, 03:22:06 PM
Yes, that's what they are.
send it on up I'm shur I have eaten worse  :D :D

tree-farmer

Since all treads eventually become about food; this time of year I really miss my mom's pumpkin pies.
My wife would make them for me early on but once to many times I said,
"these are good but just not like mom's", now if I want a pumpkin pie I have order out or make it myself (not a good idea)
Lesson learned, don't want to loose chicken dumplings or biscuit and gravy supply.  :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Thank You Sponsors!