iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Backhoe owners

Started by 69bronco, November 09, 2016, 10:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronco

Anyone have an extendahoe with a mechanical thumb?

Weekend_Sawyer

Extendahoe yes. thumb no. And so many times I wish i had one.
Guess I'll have to get one.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

47sawdust

I've got the thumb but not the extendahoe,so I'm no help.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

pinefeller

Yes, awesome hang on ill find some pics
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

pinefeller

for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

69bronco

Thanks Pinefeller,  that's just what I was looking for!

pinefeller

fyi you cant buy this particular model, there is only one in existence.  but any prefab one of the right length should work

moosehunter

I would like one but my extenda hoe is internal as opposed to external as pictured above.  With the internal style that type is not practical because the extendable boom could not retract.
At a hard hat show a few years ago I saw a split bucket that had hydraulics in the pivot pin. Looked like the answer but expensive.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Weekend_Sawyer

Good point Mike, I think our case is the same way.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

pinefeller

get a longer pin for the bucket then use CAD and make up a template for the sides.(thats Carboard Aided Design, by the way) ;D thats how i built mine.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: pinefeller on November 11, 2016, 12:58:29 PM
CAD (that's Cardboard Aided Design) ;D
I do the same thing!  I recently picked up some corrugated plastic sheets.  Looks just like cardboard only stronger and waterproof!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

pinefeller

haha now were cookin with gas :D

Ljohnsaw

69Bronco,
Can you put up a picture of your hoe so we can come up with some ideas for you?  I think Pinefeller's idea could work but I'd have to see how the bucket cylinder is set up and how much room there is to work with.  A picture from the side as well as the bucket end to see what the linkage is like and where a cylinder might fit.  The picture of Pinefeller's is a fixed thumb (with several positions) but I have a hydraulic.  Having hydraulic is the best! 8)

If I were to do it over again, I'd make the connection on the jaw closer to the pivot point so it would swing farther (or a longer ram).  It has enough power to hold but not crush a rock.  The bucket, however, will snap some rocks as the thumb refuses to budge.  I can grip rocks that are so heavy the hydraulics will stall if I try to lift when fully extended and will tip me over if I extend while holding them.  I keep the rocks as low as possible...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!