iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a Used Skidder?

Started by SteveB, February 13, 2006, 02:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

I am new to the forum, so you may all know this already, but FERIC (Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada) has a "buying a used skidder" article.  I'm not sure when it was published, but it was a few years back.  They basically go trough the things you should look out for and how you should evaluate any candidates.  While working for a memeber company I stumbled on this.  You need a password to look at their stuff online,  but non-members can buy a hard copy of most of their stuff.

This is FERIC's website:

www.feric.ca   

And the article is:

Golsse, JM Purchasing a used skidder or forwarder for use in small-scale operations, 1997, TN-260 (pdf) .

isawlogs

Steve .
  They also made a case study of ower operated band saw mills back in the late 80 's or early 90's . I got the hard copy and a vedeo from them at the time just prior to buying my mill . It sure did get a few question I had about bandmills answered in the book .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Don't you need an account and a fist of cash to access reports at FERIC? That document asks for username and password.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SteveB

You're right that you need an account to open up any of their articles online.  It wasnt' always like that.  The newer ones used to be "restricted to memebers" and the older ones were downloadable.  I used to have a password, but it stoped working on January first ( I stoped working for the memeber company a few months earlier).  I phoned them yesterday about regaining access and they said that they didn't have a suitable consultant/independent memebership, as they start at a few grand a year!  Non-members can still purchase individual hard copies of "selected" articles.  I woudl imagine the article I refered to would be somethign that they'd be willing ot share.  It's not exactly proprietary info.  From memory, I think the buying a used skidder or forwarder article was prety interesting for anyone interested in the subject.  If I remember right it was a few pages and prety extensive. 

SwampDonkey

The forestry library carries their stuff at UNB, but you have to be a student with ID to sign stuff out I think. Some of the city public libraries may have some and I think possibly Forestry Canada Libraries have them. But you may need to be a student or have a pass since 9/11. I always laughed to myself thinking anyone would threaten a Forestry Canada building. :D :D :D

www.INFOR.ca may be a source to order them also.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!